We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

currency

trenton ontario
Level Contributor
46 posts
6 reviews
currency
Save

Hi we will be going to cocles in Jan 2017. Is american money okay to use.

8 replies to this topic
Nowhere
Destination Expert
for Playa Samara
Level Contributor
5,807 posts
116 reviews
50 helpful votes
1. Re: currency
Save

Yes. Nothing larger than a $20 bill. Pristine bills. No tears or any damage.

trenton ontario
Level Contributor
46 posts
6 reviews
2. Re: currency
Save

Thank you for your time

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
24,625 posts
61 reviews
51 helpful votes
3. Re: currency
Save

While US$ will be accepted by businesses linked to tourists, smaller local businesses like grocery stores, soda, etc will prefer getting local currency i.e. colones.

IMO it is a sign of respect to use local currency when travelling abroad. Go to the bank, exchange your dollars and use colones. Otherwise they will have to do the same.

Martinsburg...
Level Contributor
499 posts
7 reviews
6 helpful votes
4. Re: currency
Save

I largely agree with Xelas, though in my limited experience it may depend a bit on the nature and location of most of your spending.

We spent mostly colones - they should be easily obtainable throughout your stay from ATMs, though may require a bit of planning for certain remote locations.

We tried to keep much of our visit at least slighly off the most beaten path, and as he said, smaller and more local-oriented businesses are doing their business in colones. They will mostly accept $US, but you are then forcing them to recalculate your bill into $US, calculate your change back to the colones they will most likely be giving you back, then exchange the money at some point.

I did notice a few times, with larger vendors who work more or less exclusively with tourists, that things were priced in $US and they seemed almost more practiced transacting in dollars than colones. So if one expects to keep to the most tourist-heavy establishments during their visit, dollars would probably be OK.

Perhaps best idea is to use your ATM card to withdraw money while you're there. When I was there many machines would give you the choice of withdrawing colones or $US, so you don't need to fly in with, and carry, and decide whether to exchange, a huge pile of cash. Bring some dollars along, withdraw some colones when you arrive, and just pay your tabs as billed (i.e. a restaurant that has a menu priced in colones and gives you a bill in colones, pay colones...and vice versa for $US). As your dollars or colones run low, get more of that currency from the ATM. Best and safest not to carry a whole vacation's worth of cash around with you anyway, no matter where you are in the world.

As always, your mileage may vary. Have a great trip!

5. Re: currency

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the Tripadvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 20 October 2016, 09:40

Martinsburg...
Level Contributor
499 posts
7 reviews
6 helpful votes
6. Re: currency
Save

Not sure why the need to nitpick this particular instance, as this forum is full of posts which respond to the original questioner, but provide additional information or depth beyond "yes" or "no". The original poster may appreciate the added info or may not, as may other folks who are planning a trip and, as I did for my planning, use the search function and read previous exchanges for information as much as possible before posting new asks. If you disagree with or think some info provided is wrong or unwise, by all means point it out. But I don't get where answers that are responsive to the original subject need snippy 'protocol police' replies.

It is unclear from the OP question, but there is at least an implication that they plan to or think they need to bring all their money with them, like they're going to Antarctica or Mars or something. There are plenty of ppl who don't do a lot of research, who harbor this kind of thinking. I don't feel like it is irrelevant - indeed that it is a favor - to point out to anyone who might be thinking that way, that doing so is taking a small, but real, risk that is totally unnecessary.

"Yes, you can bring a big brick of $20s with you to CR and get by. No, I would not suggest doing it exactly that way, and here are the reasons why....." What is wrong with this?

Edited: 4 years ago
Nowhere
Destination Expert
for Playa Samara
Level Contributor
5,807 posts
116 reviews
50 helpful votes
7. Re: currency
Save

Nothing is wrong with it.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
24,625 posts
61 reviews
51 helpful votes
8. Re: currency
Save

Missed post #5, but Oliver, you did a great job by adding valuable pieces of information. People can read it (if wise) or skip it (not so wise) and then they can decide as they will. Carry on, amigo!

Reply to: currency
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Cocles
US$USD
Canada (English)
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Canada. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.