We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Riu Dunamar?

New York, NY
Level Contributor
25 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Riu Dunamar?

Anyone have any information on this resort? It's supposed to open in December 2017 and has some really great pre-opening deals. Where is this hotel in relation to the others in PM? Also 700 rooms...whoa that's a big resort!

The other hotels in Playa Mujeres tend to be upscale (Beloved, Secrets, Excellence). You think this Riu is slated to be one of those more upscale ones?

Playa Mujeres Trips and Tours
Scuba & Snorkeling, Zipline & Aerial Adventure Parks
143 replies to this topic
Kent
Level Contributor
6,642 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Riu Dunamar?

there prices from the UK are pretty much the same as playacar and yucatan and decor looks similar. 740 rooms is too big for me, also looks quite isolated

Toronto
Level Contributor
232 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Riu Dunamar?

In relation to the other resorts in Playa Mujeres, where is the property located?

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,963 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Riu Dunamar?

I was told that RIU owns the land almost immediately adjacent to Finest Playa Mujeres.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,963 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Riu Dunamar?

Some of the websites show the Riu Dunamar well up the peninsula and beyond Secrets Playa Mujeres and no where near Excellence and Finest.

Pensacola Beach...
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Riu Dunamar?

It is at the end if the land. We were at secrets in May and secrets is currently the last hotel on the strip. You could see the Rio at the end. Supposed to be the biggest rui.the employees at secrets were telling us about it

Ballwin, Missouri
Level Contributor
1,241 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Riu Dunamar?

The map provided by Riu on the press release shows it up past secrets. I certain it is not next to Finest, If it were there would have been much conversation about the construction noise, It must be isolated up north

Ballwin, Missouri
Level Contributor
1,241 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Riu Dunamar?

Also from the press release, I think they have been touting it as 5*. There is a link to the map showing location here.

riu.com/en/…index.jsp

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
335 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Riu Dunamar?

I just looked at google maps and it says Dunamar is 50 minutes from the airport, way up at the tip of the peninsula. I'm booked for 2 weeks next October. First time away from the Playacar area. I love Riu's

Cinderford, United...
Level Contributor
230 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Riu Dunamar?

We have booked for Christmas and New Year this year (2017) and did quit a bit of research before booking. This looks like a Sandals type resort with free wifi throughout the hotel and grounds, optics, mini bar and tea and coffee machines in the rooms. Although 720 rooms, the grounds are massive and well laid out - there are five pools and a vey large stretch of beach so it should not feel crowded. It is at the tip of the peninsula so quite isolated but very self contained so other than trips, there is no real need to leave the resort. Spa treatments, gym and water sports are all included in our package so can't wait to be honest. If anyone knows any more in terms of how the build is coming along (our only anxiety) we'd love to know please. Thanks.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
24,438 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Riu Dunamar?

"This looks like a Sandals type resort "

Sandals are very upscale (with a price tag to match) and have a strict no-tipping policy. As a chain, Rius are significantly cheaper than Sandals and not as upscale. I would expect this latest Riu to be of the same calibre as other Rius (consistency is important to any brand integrity) and I'm confident that there won't be a no-tipping policy.

FWIW, new resorts often have "teething" problems, regardless of their brand. It is not unknown for announced opening dates to be a bit on the optimistic side and/or for resorts to open before construction is fully complete. Prices for new resorts are typically very appealing but you need to set your expectations accordingly. Some areas of the resort may not be open, you may hear some construction noise and staffing levels and training may not be at 100%. It is for these reasons that many people prefer to wait until a new resort has been open for a few months before taking the plunge and booking. On the other hand, if a new resort turns out to be well run and garners lots of positive reviews, you can expect prices to soar quite quickly (case in point: Secrets Akumal).

"Spa treatments, gym and water sports are all included in our package so can't wait to be honest."

Gyms and non-motorized water sports are included at *all* AI resorts in this part of the world, as is a "mini bar" - i.e. a fridge with water, beer and coke, 7Up, Fanta etc. All Riu resorts include hard liquor (optics) in the room - tequila, rum, vodka and gin, all of them being lower end (but not terrible) quality; don't expect premium brands. Higher end resorts typically include resort-wide wifi; Rius usually only offer free wifi in the lobby areas but, given that this is a shiny, new resort, it may well be that they intend to expand what they offer in that regard.

"Tea and coffee machines" may be a tad misleading to some. It's actually a coffee machine but you can use it without coffee grounds to give hot water that you then dunk your teabag into. If you are particular about your tea being made with *boiling* water, you will not be enamoured of the beverage produced this way. Milk or cream won't be provided in your room but you can expect to find packets of creamer (and sugar).

Michaelt - it may well be that you have a special "new resort opening" package that includes spa services but I would, very respectfully, suggest that you check that. You may find that what you have is spa "access" - i.e. access to saunas, steam rooms, spa pools etc. but spa "services" such as massages, manicures, pedicures, etc. are at an extra cost. At the very least, I would expect there to be a limitation on the services included in your package; I can't imagine that you could have a massage every single day without facing some additional expense. But hey, good for you if I'm wrong!

Reply to: Riu Dunamar?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Playa Mujeres