We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Topless tanning

Hartford...
Level Contributor
1 post
10 reviews
Topless tanning

I'll be staying at Finest Playa Mujeres. Just wondering if topless tanning is allowed on the beach there? Also, what are the pros/cons to upgrading from a junior suite to anything else?

43 replies to this topic
Texas Gulf Coast...
Level Contributor
8,046 posts
133 reviews
1. Re: Topless tanning

Please be respectful of local social customs and mores and keep your topless tanning to your home sun tanning salons / booths. Mexico is very conservative and nudity is in direct contrast to the local customs and mores.

¡Diviértanse!

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
70,677 posts
123 reviews
2. Re: Topless tanning

Here is a direct link to the forum where your resort is located.

www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1229340-i12413

BC
Level Contributor
5,576 posts
201 reviews
3. Re: Topless tanning

Question comes up so often....do a search for several threads. Agree with post 1.

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
5,158 posts
79 reviews
4. Re: Topless tanning

If you have searched TA for the area that you are going as per post 2 (good advice) you will see that some do go topless on the beach.

You may wish to put a question on the resort Q&A for advice as to whether there is a suitable place on the beach where your boobs will not cause offence.

Personally I tend to disregard people with foreign ID giving advice as to what the locals think

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,450 posts
3 reviews
5. Re: Topless tanning

No opinion just know that you will be photographed by resort employees, other tourists, etc via cell phone, drones, cameras, etc. Saw this at beachfront resorts in Playa Del Carmen. Resort emps. running over and snapping shots then running back to their shack and sharing. Other beach walkers taking a quick snap. You may want to be president one day :-)

Texas Gulf Coast...
Level Contributor
8,046 posts
133 reviews
6. Re: Topless tanning

And personally I tend to dislike our cousins from the small island who insist on imposing THEIR social values and mores on the rest of us, and not respecting local (in this case Mexican) customs and mores. Are there not enough places back in the UK where you can go topless to your hearts content? Must you (try) to impose *your* social values and *your* social mores on the rest of the world??

I travel internationally to experience other cultures, their customs, their mores and certainly *their* holidays, in a respectful manner. I do not by any stretch of the imagination hope they acquiesce to *my* culture, customs, mores and how I celebrate US holidays. To me, that is the beauty of travel and experiencing another culture.

I agree with nancy and have seen some of the local youth and still other resort employees taking pictures with their cell phone cameras, many very obvious about it and others trying to be discreet. Either way, it is/was a show to them.

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
5,158 posts
79 reviews
7. Re: Topless tanning

When i was at SMB a French lady was topless and no one took any interest including 3 mature couples with north american accents.

I asked a mexican lady on her opinion of topless bathing and she said whilst she would not do it herself she had no problem with it. That is what I base my judgement of the subject and I respect it.

Topless bathing in Europe is probably on the decrease . However, I as a UK citizen I do not try to speak for other nationalities in Europe nor other parts of the world.

If the Mexican people have a problem with any actions of tourists they can easily ask the local Police to intervene and implement the law.

As I said before I tend to regard posts on TA with a local "address" with more authority than those from thousands of miles away.

If we are going to start "throwing stones in glass houses" lets look at why certain nationalities insist on using their own currencies in Mexico and ask questions on the hotel Q&A like "which beers local to my own country" are sold at the hotel. What's wrong in sampling the local beer, food and currency?

Mexico is visited by many nationalities and if necessary LETS ALL abide by the local customs/values

Texas Gulf Coast...
Level Contributor
8,046 posts
133 reviews
8. Re: Topless tanning

I drink Mexican beers, even here at my residence in the USA / Texas. I also exchange and use Mxn pesos when in Mexico, getting them from Santander. And I speak Spanish as much as possible, when in Mexico; albeit sometimes with dictionary in hand.

¡Diviértanse!

MEDIAPOLIS
Level Contributor
87 posts
22 reviews
9. Re: Topless tanning

If as you say,

"I travel internationally to experience other cultures, their customs, their mores and certainly *their* holidays, in a respectful manner. I do not by any stretch of the imagination hope they acquiesce to *my* culture, customs, mores and how I celebrate US holidays. To me, that is the beauty of travel and experiencing another culture."

then why are you hanging out at the tourist hotels, resorts, beaches, etc where you might see toplessness? The natives don't hang out there!

Level Contributor
765 posts
TripAdvisor Staff  
10. Re: Topless tanning

Hi,

I noticed that you inadvertently posted your question in the Yucatan Peninsula Forum, so I have moved the topic on your behalf to the Playa Mujeres Forum.

Happy Travels!

TA_Paola

TripAdvisor Community Moderator

Reply to: Topless tanning
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted