We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice in general

Advice in general

I have been trying to plan a trip for me and the girlfriend for June/July 2019 but there are so many options to choose from! Don't have any AI experience and have never been to the Caribbean or anywhere below Canada on the continent (have frequented Southern Thailand many times though). So thought I'd might enlist the help of the generous souls of this board. From research Riveira Maya or Punta Cana seems the most affordable places out there for us. I'm looking to spend not more than 3000CAD (+200 max) per person but looking for a few things:

-Clear waters and swimmable beach (not rocky and minimal seaweed)

-Private plunge pool (really really private)

-Good selection of food (we love our fresh seafood and im guessing a selection of atleast 5 restaurants would be nice?) and drinks

-Modern, comfortable rooms

-Not noisy with kids

I have done some research and Beloved, Finest, and Unico seem to check our boxes but Unico has a very limited selection of food and no plunge pools. Looking for any recommendations and we are even open to other areas/countries! Thanks!

15 replies to this topic
Washington, DC
Level Contributor
25 posts
1. Re: Advice in general

Finest allows families and given your dates, there will likely be children there. However, they have an adults only side that may cater to your needs, but there will be children at the restaurants unless you go to the adults only restaurants, of which there are only 2.

Beloved is adults only but I am unsure of their restaurant choices. Have you checked out Excellence Playa Mujeres? It may suit your needs. They offer a Roof Top Terrace (RTT) which features a plunge pool, is adults only with a large variety of restaurants to accommodate anyone's preferences.

Good Luck! I'm sure you will have a great time!

New Westminster...
Level Contributor
234 posts
8 reviews
2. Re: Advice in general

Stayed at the Beloved last September. Small 109 rm resort. Very laid back and quiet, but also very personable service. They are renovating some restaurants and changing some around at the moment. Definitely will be finished when you go. If staying 1 week, then the 4 restaurants and sushi bar will give you enough dinning options(you also get to go to dinner once at Excellence Playa Mujeres once during your stay)Had a tour of both the Finest and EPM while there. EPM is Adults only and can get more lively. The Finest has a adults only section, with adults only beach and pool areas. From what I have read, Unico has a poor beach area and does draw some conventions. At your price point there's quite a bit of options that's available to you. Sargassum is an issue right now in Cancun and further south, but can't tell whether that will be an issue next year. Agree with RTT, as the plunge pool is well set back, under some cover and private. With your budget you'll most likely get an AAA 4 diamond resort. All 3 of the properties you're interested in are 4 diamond and as such they are all considered luxury properties.

3. Re: Advice in general

Thanks for the reply!

Beloved or Excellence seems like the two best options right now but Beloved is edging it due to it being cheaper. Also, unlike Finest or Excellence all the rooms dont seem to have the Excellence Club option. Is it because all the rooms at Beloved already offer that or am I missing out on something?

Cheers

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
62,826 posts
78 reviews
4. Re: Advice in general

Hi

At The Beloved they do not have "Club" class. All guests have the same facilities and services

Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
140 posts
58 reviews
5. Re: Advice in general

FF- what are your thoughts on Zoetry Villa Rolandi in this case? Unlikely to see kids and the food is probably better than any AI that comes to mind.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
62,826 posts
78 reviews
6. Re: Advice in general

Sorry we have never been to that particular Zoetry

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
1,000 posts
57 reviews
7. Re: Advice in general

Beloved or Excellence would be good options for you. If you can wait a few more months before booking, they usually offer a “Black Friday” booking special. I booked the special last year & saved 10%.

Whitewater, Colorado
Level Contributor
83 posts
171 reviews
8. Re: Advice in general

Valentin Imperial Maya: AI; close to the airport; adults only; wonderful staff; very good food; not too noisy; very upscale & luxurious; DRESS CODE for dinner. Been there 3 times!

Ridgefield...
Level Contributor
410 posts
12 reviews
9. Re: Advice in general

Beloved is really great, and the beach is very nice, but I wouldn’t say it’s all clear water. Kind of a mix of clear sandy bottom mixed with areas sea grass.

Food is solidly good, and sometimes great.

Service is really great. Very personalized, and they really go above and beyond.

Good luck, and let us know what you decide!

oakville, ON
Destination Expert
for Oakville
Level Contributor
5,741 posts
93 reviews
10. Re: Advice in general

I have been to zoetry villa rolandi. Really small( like 32 rooms) great food, very quiet, not so fabulous beach. But we Love the island and spend many weeks a year there. For AI , we feel

You can’t beat EPM.

Edited: 20 September 2018, 20:12
Reply to: Advice in general
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted