We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it safe?

Palm City, Florida
Level Contributor
56 posts
8 reviews
Is it safe?

My fiancee and I have been researching at length our honeymoon coming in September. We have found that EPM seems to be our best bet. We have been doing so much research and thanks to people like FFMan and all of the great info on TA we feel strongly that we should book at EPM.

However lately there have been news reports and State Department warnings about traveling to Mexico including resort areas. Our families are saying that we should go somewhere else safer...

I wanted to hear some feedback from the regular Mexico travelers.

Thanks to all.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
5,241 posts
33 reviews
1. Re: Is it safe?

Oh no.... not again.

Somerset, New Jersey
Level Contributor
106 posts
19 reviews
2. Re: Is it safe?

I personally feel very safe at this resort.

You go through 3 security gates to get into it. And at the 3rd gate, they stop and check your name against a list to make sure that you are supposed to be arriving that day. Also, since it is away from the hotel zone... it's not a place just anyone can wander on to.

Also, we have never felt the need to leave the resort..it is that relaxing, and if you want to do things, they have their own activities on site each day.

I would book your transfer from airport to hotel and back before you leave.

Book and enjoy!! You can't go wrong with EPM. We're going back for a 3rd trip in July and possibly looking to book a 4th time for the end of the year.

Denver, co
Level Contributor
648 posts
13 reviews
3. Re: Is it safe?

Poor Mexico. The media is really doing a number!

Palm City, Florida
Level Contributor
56 posts
8 reviews
4. Re: Is it safe?

By your response I can glean that this has been beat to death, the issue I mean. Sorry to be repetitive.

Denver, co
Level Contributor
648 posts
13 reviews
5. Re: Is it safe?

It's just that the media has sensationalized this to the point where people assume that the drug cartel crime is just everywhere in Mexico while that is simply not the case. EPM's 25 miles or so north of Cancun and it's extremely secure--probably much safer than where many of live here in the US.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
5,241 posts
33 reviews
6. Re: Is it safe?

I really believe that if you are that concerned then Mexico is not for you.

How about Disney World in Florida? Maybe the best thing for both of you is to listen to your family and go somewhere else. I know I am going back for the 8th time in April.

VA
Level Contributor
144 posts
7 reviews
7. Re: Is it safe?

Disney? The murder rate in Orlando is higher than in Cancun!

Don't visit Juarez (far, far away from EPM) and don't go down with the intention of buying / selling drugs, and you should be fine.

Denver, co
Level Contributor
648 posts
13 reviews
8. Re: Is it safe?

You could also go to the main Cancun board on tripadvisor and do a search on safety as this topic obviously comes up very frequently. There's lots of input on the topic there. Again, EPM is about 25 miles north. You can see by the number of repeat visitors to the place that people really have no issues with safety.

South Jersey
Level Contributor
231 posts
24 reviews
9. Re: Is it safe?

Let's give mgpatsfan a break. I checked his/her previous posts and they're all related to the honeymoon in September. Yes, the safety issue has been covered in great detail in the recent past, but I know from personal experience, people who haven't been there think it's unsafe. Suffice it to say, everyone who has recently been to Mexico believes it to be at least as safe as most areas in the US.

Palm City, Florida
Level Contributor
56 posts
8 reviews
10. Re: Is it safe?

@Matt

I don't appreciate the sarcasm... I think my question is a legitimate one for someone who has never been to Mexico. Take your anger and attitude out on the media... Not someone who is asking a real question.

To all of you others that have posted sincere replies, I greatly appreciate the feedback!!