We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

General advice needed

ACB
Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Virgin Gorda
Level Contributor
2,787 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
General advice needed

I am posting this message for a couple of friends who don't use tripadvisor. They have a few questions concerning a possible visit to Acadia.

They are considering coming between August 20th and September 5th of this year. Since I have only been up to the Acadia area in late May/early Jone and mid October, I don't have a feel for how many folks are visiting during the time period they are considering. Can someone please give an estimate on how crowded it would be?

They are considering two routes: either flying into Bangor and going straight to Acadia or flying into Portland and driving up Route 1. They have never been to this area before, really enjoy old towns and buildings and like to antique shop/browse so I believe they would enjoy visiting some of the towns along the way from Portland. Again, what would the tourist traffic be like along Route 1 the time of the year they are considering?

Lastly, they are not really B&B fans. They are looking for small inns or hotels in the Acadia area that are scenic and well run. Please advise on favorite properties between $150 and $500 a night. Properties on the coast or on the water would be especially appreciated.

Thanks to all of you in advance for your help!

Hamburg, Germany
Level Contributor
359 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: General advice needed

This is a lovely small Inn in Bar Harbor http://www.basscottage.com/

ACB
Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Virgin Gorda
Level Contributor
2,787 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: General advice needed

Very nice, KarenE. Thank you for your help.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor
Level Contributor
1,455 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: General advice needed

August 20th - Sept 5th is still peak season here in Bar Harbor so there will be lots of people; however, I have never found Bar Harbor or Acadia to be "too crowded" to consider making a visit any time of year. There may be cruise ships in port during the day that might make shopping crowded in the middle of the day, but I would tell your friends to enjoy the park during the day and spend their evenings downtown in the village area when all the cruise ship passengers have gone back to the boat. Weather will be perfect.

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
653 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: General advice needed

We were just there a week ago (Middle of July) and were suprised that there were not more tourists. It was busy...but not overwhelming. Beautiful in July.

Bass Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
123 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: General advice needed

I don't quite understand what you mean by not "B&B fans" since B&B vary so much, but there is a website of small inns on coast of Maine from Portland to Mt Desert Island (where most of Acadia is located): http://www.watersidehideaways.com

The inns might be too "B&B" for your friends, but I have visited them all and they're pretty nice.

ACB
Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Virgin Gorda
Level Contributor
2,787 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: General advice needed

jodee, I feel your confusion. I am merely passing on the message. My wife and I have always enjoy our stays at B&Bs of all shapes, sizes, and types.

I thank you for the Inn reference link. It is greatly appreciated.

New York, New York
Level Contributor
218 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: General advice needed

My favorite B&B on Mount Desert Island is Ann's Point Inn in Bass Harbor, which is a working harbor -- iconic Maine with the most incredible light. There are only a few rooms, immaculate, more contemporary than Victorian. Wine and cheese with one of the innkeepers is a guarantee of great conversation...

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,823 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: General advice needed

September 3-4-5 is Labor Day Holiday weekend....one of the busiest weekends of the year on the Maine coast.... If they're flying home from the same airport they come into, getting back to Portland that weekend will expose them to considerably more holiday traffic than going back to Bangor.... especially if they drive US Rt 1 from Bar Harbor back to Portland.

If they want to fly to Portland, which is often considerably cheaper and offers many more flights-per-day than Bangor, I'd suggest they see Rt 1 on their way north to Bar Harbor... than use US Rt 1A to Bangor and I-95 South to Portland at the end of their trip.... And, depending on the timing of their flight, they might want to consider driving down to Portland the night before and staying in that area to be close-by the airport so they don't have to worry about highway traffic delaying their arrival at the airport....

If they drive up Rt 1 from Portland, from your description of their interests, they might want to plan stops in Wiscasset, Damariscotta, and Camden on their way north....

If they haven't made lodging reservations yet, I'd urge them to do it very, very soon, especially with the holiday weekend involved....

9. Re: General advice needed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2012, 08:16