We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A few suggestions for Bryce Canyon

Parma, Italy
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
A few suggestions for Bryce Canyon

Hello everybody!

In slightly more than a month I will be visiting Bryce Canyon for the first time, and I have a couple questions I have been meaning to ask to people far more knowledgeable than myself :)

1. I know this has been asked a lot but... Sunset or sunrise? I will be staying near the canyon for one night, but I don't think I will be able to do both. Which one is better in your opinion? And what is the best viewpoint for them?

2. Which is the best hike in the park?

3. What is the most scenic way to go from Bryce to Arches (my next stop?)

Thank you so much in advance for your help! :)

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
20,672 posts
449 reviews
1. Re: A few suggestions for Bryce Canyon

You should fine time for both sunset and sunrise. But if you have to make a choice, sunrise is definitely more impressive than sunset just given the more clear angle of sun into the bowl in the morning.

Have fun.

Kipling. SK
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park
Level Contributor
7,051 posts
131 reviews
2. Re: A few suggestions for Bryce Canyon

For hiking, your first choice should be a hike below the rim, on either Queens Garden, or Navajo Loop. If your time in Bryce is close to a full day, you could consider the Queens Garden to Navajo Trail combo, which is the most popular route in the park.

If you drive the scenic drive in Bryce, look for the Bristlecone Loop, which is about an hour long.

If you can see top questions on the right side of this page-->> , you will find info that elaborates on a short visit to the park.

The best scenic route Bryce to Arches is www.scenicbyway12.com to Capitol Reef. It isn't the shortest route however.

Hudson, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,070 posts
57 reviews
3. Re: A few suggestions for Bryce Canyon

Sunrise is better. Anywhere along the Bryce Amphitheater rim would be great.

If you only have limited time, hike the Navajo/Queens Garden Combo (3 mi. RT). If you have a full day, hike either Fairyland Trail (8 mi. RT) or the Figure 8 (combination of Navajo Loop/Peekaboo Loop/Queens Garden) (6.5 mi. RT).

Scenic Hwy 12 is by far the most scenic route. It is one of the most scenic drives in America.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
66,605 posts
249 reviews
4. Re: A few suggestions for Bryce Canyon

I prefer sunrise.

I always take 2 days to get from Bryce to Moab.

Parma, Italy
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
5. Re: A few suggestions for Bryce Canyon

Thank you so much for your useful responses!

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Supai
Level Contributor
1,996 posts
11 reviews
6. Re: A few suggestions for Bryce Canyon

I pretty much agree with Jeremiah Z. If you have most of a day, both Fairyland and the Figure 8 are top choices. If you can get to the trailhead at sunrise, I'd pick Fairyland over the Figure 8. As the sun rises, the colors along the Fairyland Loop Trail change dramatically. It's also a less visited trail; you'll probably see very few people until you get close to Sunset Point.

Wasilla, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
6,695 posts
171 reviews
7. Re: A few suggestions for Bryce Canyon

Another vote for Highway 12. Amazing. We did it last week.

We did the Queen's Garden/Navajo Loop trail. It was strenuous 'cause we are fat, but so worth it. We were coming from Torrey/Capitol Reef and just outside of Tropic we stopped for the Mossy Cave trail to the falls. It's about here: https://goo.gl/maps/ien5ew1yTQt . I would highly recommend it if you have the time.

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
174 posts
147 reviews
8. Re: A few suggestions for Bryce Canyon

we are 2 fat 60 year olds who are still able to hike easy trails. We hiked last year at Yellowstone every day and took our time. This trip we will have 2 pre-teens in tow and want to do some easy trails with them. We are able to stay 1 or 2 nights near Bryce after visiting Zion-what would you suggest for an itinerary? Thanks!

Hudson, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,070 posts
57 reviews
9. Re: A few suggestions for Bryce Canyon

The three best easy hikes in Bryce are:

Bristlecone Loop - 1 mi. RT; easy

Mossy Cave - 1 mi. RT; easy

Navajo/Queens Garden Combo - 3 mi. RT; moderate

You could easily do all three trails. Preteens would love them. Just take it slow on Navajo/Queens Garden and you'll be fine. Try to visit the main Bryce amphitheater overlooks in the morning and late afternoon/early evening and drive the scenic drive to Rainbow Point and stop at the overlooks along that road at the busiest times of day (~10am-3pm).

Roosevelt, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
1,220 posts
49 reviews
10. Re: A few suggestions for Bryce Canyon

I actually prefer a different route between Bryce and Moab: take Hwy 12 past Capitol Reef to Hanksville, then turn SOUTH on Hwy 95, that takes you to Blanding, Utah. Drive north from there to Moab.

North Wash (along Hwy 95) is absolutely beautiful, and driving along the Henry Mountains is spectacular. You'll also cross over the unique Dirty Devil Bridge near Hite, view the lower half of Lake Powell (and see how the Colorado River enters the lake!) and see some beautiful parts of Bears Ears National Monument, as well as Natural Bridges National Monument, via this route.

Have a great trip!

*Pixie*

Edited: 30 May 2017, 12:31
Get answers to your questions about Bryce Canyon National...