We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bryce Canyon Lodge vs. Best Western Plus Canyon Grand?

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
26,066 posts
9 reviews
67 helpful votes
Bryce Canyon Lodge vs. Best Western Plus Canyon Grand?

Here's my dilemma - I need a room for two nights next month (June):

- I'm already booked at the Best Western Plus for both nights, so definitely have a place to stay;

- I just called Bryce Canyon Lodge (BCL) and they have availability BUT we would need to switch rooms (two queen bed room one night, king bed room the second). [I've just made a fully refundable reservation to secure these nights.]

It was suggested that I keep calling back to the BCL as they may get a cancellation and thus be able to give us the same room for both nights .... but, of course, there's no guarantee.

FWIW, Bryce Canyon Lodge is also coming in marginally ($10/night) cheaper than the Best Western, which is a pleasant surprise - but cost isn't a factor here.

So now I'm double booked and conflicted - stay at the Lodge and faff around moving rooms or stay at the Best Western Plus where I'll have the same room for both nights.

What would YOU do? Are the beds at one significantly more comfortable than the beds at the other? Does time of year (June) matter? Should we be choosing one over the other because the AC is better?

Thanks in advance for any and all opinions.

(At the risk of stating the obvious, I'd like to make a decision on this a.s.a.p. so I can free up the one I don't want for someone else.)

Edited: 15 May 2017, 11:12
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
67,839 posts
250 reviews
250 helpful votes
1. Re: Bryce Canyon Lodge vs. Best Western Plus Canyon Grand?

The Lodge is preferable, but I'd never stay there and be required to switch rooms. That's a waste of time.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
26,066 posts
9 reviews
67 helpful votes
2. Re: Bryce Canyon Lodge vs. Best Western Plus Canyon Grand?

Thanks Red.

I'm still conflicted though. If we were staying for any length of time and were properly "settling" into a room, I can see that packing everything up to switch rooms half way through would be a pain. However, given that this is a road trip, we're staying for one or two nights at multiple locations and thus will be travelling very light in terms of luggage and "stuff".

I guess my question should be, how much better is the Lodge than the Best Western Plus? Now I've given it more thought, the nuisance factor of changing rooms is relatively low. We're looking at maybe an extra 10-15 minutes in the morning to pack everything up and schlep it to the car (or to where ever they can hold it at the Lodge). The trade off, I'm guessing, is the ease of access to the park, especially very early in the morning ... and stargazing at night.

Happy problems, right?!

North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,401 posts
8 reviews
3 helpful votes
3. Re: Bryce Canyon Lodge vs. Best Western Plus Canyon Grand?

Bryce Canyon is one National Park where staying outside the park is not a detriment to enjoying the park. We stayed one night in the park and one night at the Best Western Grand (great hot and cold breakfast was included in room rate). We entered the canyon in darkness both nights (with headlights and flashlights of course) to image the Milky Way. There were no issues in driving from either overnight accommodation, just be mindful of the Pronghorn and other wildlife.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
2,926 posts
26 reviews
13 helpful votes
4. Re: Bryce Canyon Lodge vs. Best Western Plus Canyon Grand?

We stayed in the Lodge and were really glad that's where we were staying. There's just something truly awesome about being able to step out your door and walk over to the rim. I'd certainly do what I could to stay there.

As you mention, you're on a road trip so you're not settling in and spreading yourselves out too much. I don't know how it would work at Bryce, but we switched rooms during our stay at Zion. We packed our luggage in the morning and left it in the room, then headed out for the day. When we returned, staff had moved our luggage and we just went straight to our new room.

There's also a chance--but not a guarantee--that by the time you get there, staff will be able to shift things around a bit so that you can keep the same room both nights.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
21,496 posts
451 reviews
196 helpful votes
5. Re: Bryce Canyon Lodge vs. Best Western Plus Canyon Grand?

If you're a first time visitor I would gut it out at the Lodge with the room switch. If you're persistent, maybe you can solve that in advance. We always just stay at Ruby's. But we get there more frequently. The ability to walk out from your room to watch sunrise is well worth being there.

Have fun.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
1,402 posts
119 reviews
41 helpful votes
6. Re: Bryce Canyon Lodge vs. Best Western Plus Canyon Grand?

We are staying in the lodge as I type. Stay here...it is amazing. You won't regret it.

Sammamish, WA
Level Contributor
116 posts
27 reviews
24 helpful votes
7. Re: Bryce Canyon Lodge vs. Best Western Plus Canyon Grand?

I just returned home from staying in the lodge. It was nice. It was convenient in ways, not so much in other ways. We were at the rim, and that was great. We didn't have to worry about parking to go inside the park. We saw both sunrise and sunset, and honestly, I liked the lighting at other times during the day better than at sunrise, sunset. But that's just me. Different lighting showed and shadowed different parts of the canyon, so the canyon constantly changed with light. But of course, when you're staying at the rim, you can see the varying light on the canyon

We stayed in a motel unit (Sunrise) and got a workout, moving our luggage, cooler and motel box in and out of the unit without elevators or carts. We were on our own for food. Food is either at the lodge, in town, or bring your own microwaveables. We have grown to love the convenience of hotel continental breakfast and really missed it. Unless you get a cabin, you aren't as much in the woods as you would think you are. You're in a motel and it feels motel-ish. The national park lodging seems to err on the side of dark skies over lighting for motel tenants, and the rooms are dark. And there is no air conditioning, so if anyone in your party is heat intolerant, I would stay at the BW.

Oh, and don't let them promise wifi, because in practice it is horrible. My husband had to work some, and we had to drive out to a viewpoint for email, where he could get LTE. It's hard to work at a viewpoint.

Staying in the park is a good thing. Whether or not it's better than in town depends on what your needs are.

And staying in a lodge didn't make the ranger programs easier. We asked at the lodge about a ranger program. The lodge gave us one time. The ranger was told to show up at another time and we missed him.

Pay attention to the moon phase if you want to see stars. We were at Bryce during a full moon, along with partial clouds and didn't see any special stars at all.

For us, we liked Bryce, but considered it a one-day park.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,401 posts
8 reviews
3 helpful votes
8. Re: Bryce Canyon Lodge vs. Best Western Plus Canyon Grand?

Teresa,

Hi, in your post you said you stayed at the Lodge and then said you stayed in the Sunrise building. So others planning a trip to Bryce are not confused, the Lodge does have 4 rooms in the main Lodge: three Suites and one studio upstairs. Wifi and email should have worked for your husband had you stayed in the main Lodge. Surprised you did not think Sunrise was special as the hoodoos are lit up like candlesticks; other then being in the canyon at night, it was our favorite time of the day at Bryce. As you mentioned, knowing the moon phases is important, and I may add knowing the moon rise and moon set times plus when darkness begins (astronomical twilight) and ends (astronomical dawn), plus the weather forecast, will also enhance your ability to see ” the stars”.

I do agree with you that staying in Bryce Canyon NP is not really necessary to enjoy what this park has to offer. Especially, if you stay in the Best Western Grand; convenient, newer lodging, with A/C and including an extensive hot and cold breakfast.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
4 posts
13 reviews
9. Re: Bryce Canyon Lodge vs. Best Western Plus Canyon Grand?

Hi, we stayed at the Best Western plus for 2 nights in April 2017. There is a bus shuttle stop virtually outside the hotel entrance. The hotel was v comfortable and unless you are really keen to do the sunrise sunset viiews, I would not be bothered phaffing around changing rooms in the lodge. The park is beautiful & for me I would recommend just getting out and enjoying it, whatever time of the day. We managed to stay inside the park at Grand Canyon to do sunrise and sunset but slept in! I still thought the park fantastic.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
61 posts
10 reviews
11 helpful votes
10. Re: Bryce Canyon Lodge vs. Best Western Plus Canyon Grand?

We are staying the first night at BW and the second at the Lodge. It just worked out that way but I think it will be the best of both. One good breakfast at BW, and the second morning right on the rim for sunrise.

Get answers to your questions about Bryce Canyon National...