We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

suggestions on itinerary

Carmichaels...
Level Contributor
92 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
suggestions on itinerary

Based on needing to use a combination of shuttle and personal vehicle, I am looking for advice on how to map out our itinerary for a 1 day visit to Bryce. We will be arriving around 7:30-8am, and are staying overnight at Best Western Plus, leaving the following morning early so we do have an entire day to devote to Bryce. It is just the husband and I, late 40's, good physical shape (but not triathletes or anything). Below is a list of things we would like to do.......can someone help us out with the proper order/strategy?

*visit the popular stops in the main amphitheater (sunrise, sunset, inspiration, etc)

*walk/hike a portion of the Rim Trail

*see the other stops/points not on the shuttle path (swamp canyon to rainbow point)

*hike bristlecone loop

*hike navajo/queens garden loop

*potential hike on mossy cave trail

Will we have enough time or is this too much? And we will need to work in lunch somewhere I suppose. We appreciate any advice!

utah
Level Contributor
3,203 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: suggestions on itinerary

That's probably too much. There's nothing wrong with having more on a list for a day than you get to - just make sure your prioritize so you get to the things you care the most about.

Where you are up for more extensive hiking, consider doing the Fairyland or Peek-a-boo loops. This would be your best use of your time and energy to get a real feel of Bryce - plus it will get you away from the crowds a bit.

I'd prioritize walking the rim trail low. I'd also be less concerned with getting to every different vantage point and angle of the canyon other than doing a sampling and then relaxing to enjoy the beauty, especially sunrise/sunset and stars. Driving the scenic drive to Rainbow Bridge would be a higher priority.

Hudson, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: suggestions on itinerary

That is probably too much. Don't rush yourself too much to feel you have to get to every overlook.

The most famous overlooks are overlooking the main Bryce amphitheater (Fairyland, Sunrise, Sunset, Inspiration & Bryce Points). If you really want to focus on your current plan, I would spend your morning from 8-10am trying to see 2-3 of these (perhaps Fairyland, Inspiration and Bryce Points). Then, at 10am, drive to Rainbow Point/Yovimpa Points and hike the Bristlecone Loop. Perhaps have a bag lunch there. Then, return on the park road, stopping at the other overlooks on your way back.

Around mid/late afternoon, you could probably arrive back at the Visitor Center or Ruby's Inn shuttle stop (or any shuttle stop that you can find a parking spot). From there, take the shuttle to either Sunrise or Sunset Point. You could hike the Navajo/Queens Garden combo then between the points. After that, have a late dinner at the Bryce Canyon Lodge restaurant (excellent food).

If you feel up to it at that point, then just before sunset you could try to fit the Mossy Cave Trail in, but only if you have time.

Brian is right, though, the best way to really experience Bryce and get away from the crowds is to hike the Fairyland or Peek-a-boo Loops. A lot more hiking, but really I would pick hiking one of those two trails any day over just stopping at all the overlooks.

3. Re: suggestions on itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 May 2018, 01:17
Get answers to your questions about Bryce Canyon National...