We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Horseback/mule riding in Bryce National Pak

Woodbury, Minnesota
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
Horseback/mule riding in Bryce National Pak

We are a family with 3 teenagers visiting Zion and Bryce at the end of June. We are talking about doing the horseback riding/mile ride while in Bryce. Is it worth doing?

Hudson, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,075 posts
74 reviews
1. Re: Horseback/mule riding in Bryce National Pak

I haven't done it myself. But if you are talking about the 3 hour horseback ride down into the Bryce Amphitheater that includes the Peekaboo Loop, the views the entire way are fabulous.

If you would rather hike the Peekaboo Loop (or do the full Figure 8 hike) like I enjoy every time I'm at Bryce, you could do that as well. The trail is moderately strenuous, however, so if you didn't feel physically you wanted to do that, the horse ride would allow you to see one of the best trails in the park without having to "hoof" it yourself.

Woodbury, Minnesota
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
2. Re: Horseback/mule riding in Bryce National Pak

Thanks Jeremiah, yes we are talking about the 3 hour ride into the amphitheater. We are doing Zion the day before (thinking the Narrows) and also thinking we might try to do some easy short hikes in Bryce before doing the horses/mule ride. Doing the ride would give us a break from hiking, which I'm sure my kids will be getting sick of after a few days :-) Thanks for you input! If you have any other input for our trip, please share...

Hudson, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,075 posts
74 reviews
3. Re: Horseback/mule riding in Bryce National Pak

For easy short hikes in Bryce, look at Bristlecone Loop (1 mi. RT) and Mossy Cave (1 mi. RT...best near sunset).

If you do the 3 hour ride, you'll get to see some of the best parts of the main Bryce amphitheater...without having to hike down into the canyon and back up again.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
66,718 posts
249 reviews
4. Re: Horseback/mule riding in Bryce National Pak

I think the equine tour at Bryce is the best you'll find in Utah.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
530 posts
5 reviews
5. Re: Horseback/mule riding in Bryce National Pak

Note the 220lb weight limit per person

Alberta
Level Contributor
687 posts
77 reviews
6. Re: Horseback/mule riding in Bryce National Pak

We enjoyed the mule ride, not so sure how the people on the trail felt about what came out of the mules......

Level Contributor
18 posts
7. Re: Horseback/mule riding in Bryce National Pak

We just did the mule ride at Bryce last week. I have 3 teenagers and we really enjoyed it. We did the shorter ride and that was enough for me. I don't know if I was using the stirrups wrong, but my knees to my ankles were hurting the entire ride. I had a hard time walking right after getting off, but I was fine within a few hours. My bum is still feeling it though. lol We did a very short hike down the peekaboo trail afterwords, but none of us felt like hiking much and felt that we saw a lot on our ride. If you are doing the narrows the day before and doing the early morning horse ride, not sure when you will fit in a hike in Bryce in between?

Woodbury, Minnesota
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
8. Re: Horseback/mule riding in Bryce National Pak

Thank you everyone for sharing your experiences/ideas. Mountie5, did you feel the ride was worth doing? We are scheduled for the afternoon ride as the morning one was already full.

Thanks.

Level Contributor
18 posts
9. Re: Horseback/mule riding in Bryce National Pak

Just realizing that you are the same one I answered about the kayaking too, lol. We really enjoyed both. Those 2 things were the highlight for my 15 year old son. Hope you have a great trip! We had a fantastic 2 weeks, this was our first time in the southwest, and the scenery at each park was spectacular. Where are you headed after Bryce? That would be my only concern about doing the later ride if you had to drive that day to somewhere. We did our trip in the opposite direction and it took us all day to drive from Moab to Bryce.

Woodbury, Minnesota
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
10. Re: Horseback/mule riding in Bryce National Pak

Thanks for all the information. Yes, I feel like we are doing the same trip. We actually are starting at Zion (2 nights - arrive mid day and then will have the second day for Narrows), then will head to Bryce in the morning and plan to stay overnight there. After that, we will head to Page. We are planning to get up really early at Bryce to get to Page around 7:30. We only have a day in Page though so trying to figure everything we can fit in and leave at a reasonable time for safe driving to get to the GC. We stay overnight in the GC. In Page I was thinking lower Antelope and Horseshoe Bend but not sure we can fit all of it in if we do a 1/2 day adventure on the water. If we start the morning with the 1/2 day water adventure and then do lower Antelope and Horseshoe Bend after we might be pushing our time especially if we have to wait at lower Antelope. Plus we have to eat at some point. :-). If you or anyone else has thoughts on this, please let me know.

Get answers to your questions about Bryce Canyon National...