We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Horseback/mule riding in Bryce National Pak

Woodbury, Minnesota
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Horseback/mule riding in Bryce National Pak

We are a family with 3 teenagers visiting Zion and Bryce at the end of June. We are talking about doing the horseback riding/mile ride while in Bryce. Is it worth doing?

Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Horseback/mule riding in Bryce National Pak

So if I am understanding correctly, you will leave Zion in the am and drive to Bryce and plan on the horseback riding at 1:00? Depending on when you leave Zion, could be cutting it close. It took us close to 3 hours between the 2 going the other way. I assume you are planning on driving out the East exit? That took a long time because they only allowed one flow of direction at a time through the tunnel. Not sure if that is always the case? There was 2 lanes, but it was narrow. Where are you staying in Bryce? It could take a while to get into Bryce and find parking. There did not seem to be a lot of parking there. We had no problem in the morning. They do offer a shuttle from Ruby's, not sure how long that takes. If you are not staying at Ruby's I would keep calling to see if you can get a cancellation. That was definitely the place to stay. Then you are leaving Bryce at 5:30 am to get to Page at 7:30 (takes 3 hours, but you gain an hour but that includes no stops for breakfast) and trying to do a water activity at that time? I think that is really pushing it. We had to be at the marina by 7:15, and we took the later tour. Plus allow time for sunscreen, bathroom, etc. The kayak tour and the canyon tour were on the same road, so you could easily get from one to the other, but allow at least 3-4 hours for the canyon tour at that time of day. But there was no food in that part of town so I am assuming you will be hungry at some time. They may have sold some food inside the Ken's tour place, but I am not positive. If you had enough time and a cooler, I would suggest a stop at Walmart on the way to the marina for a packed lunch after the kayaking as you will have to drive through page to get to the marina. I will just add that we were thoroughly confused as to what time it was in Page the whole time we were there! We had 5 iphones, a watch (GPS kind) and the car and they all had different times all the time. I had to keep referring to the World Clock on my iphone. If you have to skip something, Horeshoe Bend was not as impressive as I had hoped. We arrived around 5:00, which is supposed to be not peak time and had a hard time finding parking. It was crowded and the water level was low, you really can not see it as the camera shots show it to you online. Not sure if they are hanging off the cliff, somehow higher up, or the water level may make a difference, but it was not as I imagined. It took us about 5 hours to get to Horseshoe Bend from Visitor center area of GC, but we did some stops along the Desert View Drive and we ate at Cameron Trading Post. I think trying to do the water activity in Page may just be too much. Sorry my answer so long winded!

NJ
Level Contributor
1,848 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Horseback/mule riding in Bryce National Pak

I did the horse ride in bryce - it was my favorite definitely worth every penny. We went in the morning to avoid the heat of the afternoon. DO IT

Woodbury, Minnesota
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
Save Reply
13. Re: Horseback/mule riding in Bryce National Pak

We are staying at the Lodge at Bryce Canyon. It's about 10 min south of Rudy's. Yes we would be heading east so thinking it will be a 3 hour drive.

Another thought is to skip the horseback riding in the afternoon, do some hiking in Bryce in the morning and then drive to Page (so we would not stay overnight in Bryce; keep in mind we are in Zion for 1-1/2 days prior). We would then get to Page in the early afternoon time - maybe around 3 - we could do the Antelope Canyon tour, stay overnight in Page and then do water adventures (kayaks) in the morning. After that we would head to GC. Would this make sense or would we miss out in seeing too much of Bryce do you think?

I appreciate your input.

Thanks,

Woodbury, Minnesota
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
Save Reply
14. Re: Horseback/mule riding in Bryce National Pak

This is getting confusing: See the 2 ideas below - the biggest question is with the alternative option, would we not have enough time at Bryce.

Right now we have:

Day 1 - arrive in Zion early afternoon around 2/3:00 and stay at Zion Lodge. Do a little hiking; watch sunset

Day 2 - Zion - hike Narrows - stay overnight

Day 3 - head to Bryce - hike a little and then horseback ride

Day 4 - leave Bryce early (5:30AM) and drive to Page, AZ. Do Antelope Canyon Tour and Horseshoe Bend; leave around 2 - 3 to get to the Grand Canyon for sunset

Day 5 - Grand Canyon explore into early afternoon and then drive to Las Vegas

Day 6 - flight home.

The alternative would be:

Day 1 - arrive in Zion early afternoon around 2/3:00 and stay at Zion Lodge. Do a little hiking; watch sunset

Day 2 - Zion - hike Narrows - stay overnight

Day 3 - head to Bryce - hike in the morning and then leave in afternoon for Page, AZ

Day 4 - Arrive in Page around 3 and do the Antelope Canyon Tour; stay overnight

Day 5 - Do Kayak or raft 1/2 day in the AM and then Horseshoe Bend before leaving early afternoon for Grand Canyon

Day 5 - Grand Canyon explore into early afternoon and then drive to Las Vegas

Day 6 - flight home

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
8,263 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Horseback/mule riding in Bryce National Pak

I responded in your other thread but I'm going to point out the first major problem with option 2, which is that you have TWO day 5's.

NJ
Level Contributor
1,848 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Horseback/mule riding in Bryce National Pak

If you are doing a lot of hiking, I think the horseback ride in Bryce would be different and give you some great pictures and memories. If you can schedule it, I would.

17. Re: Horseback/mule riding in Bryce National Pak

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 June 2018, 00:16
Get answers to your questions about Bryce Canyon National...