We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

suggestions for Bryce to Las Vegas - things to do for a day

ga
Level Contributor
21 posts
7 reviews
suggestions for Bryce to Las Vegas - things to do for a day

I need to know the most interesting - historical, cultural, beautiful, etc. place to stop and spend several hours, driving from Bryce Canyon to Las Vegas. We're taking an O.A.R.S. trip the next day down the Colorado River, so this is just basically a travel day. I looked at the attractions in St. George, and none of them really appealed to me. Thanks!

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Salt Lake City, Lake Powell
Level Contributor
20,919 posts
41 reviews
1. Re: suggestions for Bryce to Las Vegas - things to do for a day

It's a 4 hour drive, no stops, from Bryce to Las Vegas. There is very little that falls into the "historical, cultural, beautiful, etc" category between St. George and Las Vegas. It's driving in the desert for 2+ hours. You've discounted St. George which has several historical sites and near by Snow Canyon which is hiking in red rock country. The Virgin River Gorge on I 15 between St. George and Mesquite is stunning. You could stop at Valley of Fire State Park which is off I 15 further south.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
19,341 posts
16 reviews
2. Re: suggestions for Bryce to Las Vegas - things to do for a day

You could drive thru Cedar Breaks, and drive to the top of Brian Head Peak if the road to the top is clear.

There is the Kolob Canyon section of Zion, the ghost town of Silver Reef , and in AZ is Little Jamaica, in NV is Valley of Fire. In Overton is the Lost City museum, and St Thomas is nearby. It was a town buried by Lake Mead.

Edited: 03 June 2017, 13:54
Kipling. SK
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park
Level Contributor
7,052 posts
131 reviews
3. Re: suggestions for Bryce to Las Vegas - things to do for a day

Cedar Breaks via SR143 to SR148 is a detour, but is well worth it if you have the day.

After Kolob Canyons scenic route. Just note that if you have been to the main section previously within the seven days, you will need the permit to enter this section. Otherwise it will cost $30 if you do not have a national Pass of some type.

Silver Reef in Leeds is a historic remnant of the old mining days.

Did not think of the museum in Overton, it would be on the way into the 'backway' of Valley of Fire. If you do not go thru Valley of Fire, then you can go along the Lake Mead byway.

ga
Level Contributor
21 posts
7 reviews
4. Re: suggestions for Bryce to Las Vegas - things to do for a day

Thanks so much!!! These are great suggestions. I have done Kolob and Valley of Fire but hadn't considered Cedar Breaks. Would you think CB or Dixie National Forest would be better?

Kipling. SK
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park
Level Contributor
7,052 posts
131 reviews
5. Re: suggestions for Bryce to Las Vegas - things to do for a day

Well, you would be driving through the Dixie Forest as you head up SR143 to SR148 to SR14.

If you go to Leeds for Silver Reef, then detour through Snow canyon state park afterwards.

Indianapolis...
Destination Expert
for Indianapolis
Level Contributor
700 posts
148 reviews
6. Re: suggestions for Bryce to Las Vegas - things to do for a day

Check out Cedar Breaks. We did that driving from LV to Moab on our first trip a handful of years ago. I'm glad we got to check out CB because it was just an amazing place to checkout. There are three scenic lookouts on the road that runs along the east side of the monument.

7. Re: suggestions for Bryce to Las Vegas - things to do for a day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 June 2018, 00:18