We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

after zion and bryce, Moab?Boulder Mountain?

10 posts
after zion and bryce, Moab?Boulder Mountain?

In August we will fly into LasVegas and head to Zion in rental car for 2 nights, then 2 nights in Bryce. Then we have 3 days until we fly out of Las Vegas - we will have to spend the last night near the airport in Las Vegas that last day - if we leave Bryce and drive to Moab is one night enough and then one night at Boulder Mountain a good plan? Any ideas on this either way is appreciated.

Thanks!

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
21,111 posts
451 reviews
1. Re: after zion and bryce, Moab?Boulder Mountain?

You don't really have sufficient time to make Moab practical. I would stick with Escalante area (Boulder is an OK spot) and maybe add in Antelope Canyon in Page. That will be a lot less driving and more value overall.

Have fun.

10 posts
2. Re: after zion and bryce, Moab?Boulder Mountain?

Thank you for your response. I realized we have 3 nights between leaving Bryce and having to be back in LV to fly out in the am - so would Bryce to Moab with 2 nights there and then 1 night in the Escalante area work? We have previously been to Page AZ and the slot canyon so want to see something different.

thanks

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
21,111 posts
451 reviews
3. Re: after zion and bryce, Moab?Boulder Mountain?

You will kill a day each way going to Moab. If you were using Salt Lake City as a gateway this would be more practical. Ultimately it's up to you. But it's a ton of extra driving for very little time once you get there.

Hudson, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,111 posts
74 reviews
4. Re: after zion and bryce, Moab?Boulder Mountain?

Another idea instead of going all the way to Moab and having to backtrack to LV is instead going to Great Basin NP in eastern NV. Most people don't know about this park, but it is beautiful, and you will have much of the park to yourself. My wife visited Zion, Bryce and Great Basin with me last summer and she actually enjoyed Great Basin the best.

It is most known for the darkest skies in the Lower 48, Lehman Caves, and the oldest trees in the world that can be seen by hiking on the Bristlecone & Glacier Trail and the Alpine Lakes Loop. Lodging options are in/near Baker, NV.

Toquerville UT
Level Contributor
1,108 posts
80 reviews
5. Re: after zion and bryce, Moab?Boulder Mountain?

I'll recommend cutting one night in Bryce and add going to Torrey for two nights and Escalante for two nights. You can explore Capitol Reef and some of the Grand Staircase. It will be a long ride back to LV but certainly doable. Moab really is just too far.

Great Basin is a terrific NP but a little out of the way.

10 posts
6. Re: after zion and bryce, Moab?Boulder Mountain?

Thank you all for the info, it is so helpful in planning. After getting advice we are leaving Bryce and going to Torrey for 2 nights. I would really appreciate input on when we leave Torrey - we have one night until we spend the last night near the airport in Las Vegas. Wondered if we should spend a night in Escalante or do we go over to the Cedar Breaks area and spend one night? How long is the drive from Escalante to the LasVegas airport?

Really appreciate everyone's contribution!

Hudson, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,111 posts
74 reviews
7. Re: after zion and bryce, Moab?Boulder Mountain?

If you are planning on hiking to Lower Calf Creek Falls, then spending a night in Escalante might be a good idea.

Otherwise, spending the night near and part of a day in Cedar Breaks is delightful. Make sure if you visit Cedar Breaks to hike the Alpine Pond Trail. Depending on what time you are there in August, you may still be able to see some of the amazing wildflowers that normally peak in mid-July.

8. Re: after zion and bryce, Moab?Boulder Mountain?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 June 2018, 00:17