We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary Help Please!

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
3 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary Help Please!

Hi all!

We have a short 4 day 3 night trip coming up soon. We arrive in Vegas at 7:30 am on a Saturday and then will need to get the rental car. As of now, we have one backcountry night reserved in Zion (Sunday Night) but Saturday night around Zion is pretty booked up and we'd love to see Bryce regardless.

Is it realistic or even worth it to get the rental car and get to Bryce Canyon in time to get a camping spot around or in the park on Saturday if we are leaving Vegas around 8:30 am?

Also, on Sunday in Zion we are hiking the west rim trail, likely top down from lava point. What's the best way to do this and get back to your car? Is getting to west rim trial from Bryce too much on Sunday morning?

Thanks for the help!

Mentioned in this post
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
5,151 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary Help Please!

Welcome to the forum and also Utah.

I think you would be fine spending Saturday at Bryce. The issue will be finding a camping spot. Reserved ones will be gobbled up, and first-come-first-served will likely be taken Friday for the whole weekend. You could look into places like Navajo Lake, Red Canyon, etc. Or even head towards Zion in a place like Glendale, Utah. You would miss the best time at Bryce though, which is sunrise, when the hoodoos appear to be glowing with the low angle sunlight.

Bryce is a fairly small park and you could hike into the hoodoos and feel you had a nice experience. It's easy to absorb in a short amount of time. Bryce is also at an elevation of 8,000 feet, so it will be a lot colder at night than Zion. Not sure if you'll want to bring warmer gear and then have to lug it on your backpacking trip.

And I believe you can hire a shuttle that will transport you back to your car.

http://www.zionadventures.com/zionshuttles/

Mentioned in this post
Utah
Utah
United States
Red Canyon
Red Canyon
635 Reviews
Panguitch, UT
Kansas City...
Level Contributor
3 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary Help Please!

Awesome thanks so much for the info! I actually just saw a post about Rubys Inn in another post, so just in case someone said I'd have enough time I reserved a campsite for Rubys on Saturday night. Thanks again!

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
5,151 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary Help Please!

Nice. Ruby's is about three miles or so from the park. Have fun.

Tacoma, Washington
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
10,794 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary Help Please!

Rubys Inn is a best western hotel and camp ground with a newer hotel across the street.

I was going to suggest looking at Rubys. If you didn't there are a few other RV/camping sites near by and a KOA in Tropic.

Park shuttles run from the hotel into the park.

Mentioned in this post
5. Re: Itinerary Help Please!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 June 2018, 01:17