We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Park intinerary, lodge parking questions

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
57 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Park intinerary, lodge parking questions

We will arrive from Page in late afternoon and do the Mossy Cave Trail, then head to our Best Western hotel for swim and dinner. The next day we will check out of BW and head to Bryce Lodge for one night stay.

If we arrive at the Lodge before 9 will we find parking? Do we get any preferential parking treatment?

From the lodge parking we want to walk to Sunrise Point and do the Navajo Loop and Queen's Garden Loop trail while it is cooler morning temps. After a lunch in the lodge we want to drive to Rainbow Point and stop at overlooks on our way back. We can do this by car or shuttle. Which is best with less hassle for parking, crowding. -we don't want to wait for parking spaces at every overlook. Will we get seats on the shuttle bus?,

After dinner we can watch sunset.-any recommended sites? do an evening ranger program or look at night sky on our own.

Next morning we can watch sunrise from Bryce Point. How far is this from the lodge? Or should we just walk along rim between Sunset and Sunrise Point?

Mentioned in this post
Mossy Cave Trail
Mossy Cave Trail
393 Reviews
Bryce Canyon National Park, UT
Rainbow Point
Rainbow Point
286 Reviews
Bryce Point
Bryce Point
670 Reviews
Sunrise Point
Sunrise Point
516 Reviews
Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
20,413 posts
449 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Park intinerary, lodge parking questions

If you are a guest at the Lodge, you should be able to get a parking spot. If you are staying at the Lodge, it really somewhat defeats the purpose to then get into a car and drive to Bryce Point for sunrise. I would just walk from the Lodge the few minutes to the rim and enjoy the fact you are staying so close.

Have fun.

Mentioned in this post
Bryce Point
Bryce Point
670 Reviews
Kipling. SK
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park
Level Contributor
7,015 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Park intinerary, lodge parking questions

For the lodge, you should treat and assume it to be like any other type of accommodation in North America. It will have its patron only parking. Check out is so and so, check in is so and so. If you park at the lodge at 9AM, which is well before your check in, you will need to register with/register your vehicle with the front desk. They will let you know if that is OK, or whether you will need to arrive at/after proper check in time. That early in the morning, it would likely be that they will ask you to come back later. Just depends on how accommodating they are.

There is a difference between the amphitheatre shuttle, and the Rainbow point shuttle. The Rainbow point shuttle(used to be called Rainbow Point coach), requires you to register in advance.

https:/…shuttle.htm

Try and take the coach tour. Used to be that you could find parking on the way down from Rainbow Point. Have not heard the past couple of years how the crowds have affected this. I would assume to find parking would be difficult.

Mentioned in this post
Rainbow Point
Rainbow Point
286 Reviews
Tacoma, Washington
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
10,996 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Park intinerary, lodge parking questions

a few things....

think of Bryce in 2 pieces...

1. drive to rainbow point

2. the amphitheater

For the amphitheater use the shuttle bus or walk the rim trail.

For sunset use sunset point. be there an hr before sunset through after sunset.

For the lodge if you go after lunch you should find parking. if you go early before others have checked out you wont find parking.

Mentioned in this post
USA
Level Contributor
3,324 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Park intinerary, lodge parking questions

I was at Bryce June 5-7. I was able to park at the lodge (registration/restaurant building) without problem whenever I needed to. I only parked in front of the motel room (Sunset building) once I had checked in. If you get there early, they can pre-register you so that you only have to pick up your keys when your room is ready (which will probably be 4pm). They didn't tell me where I could or couldn't park while I was waiting for the room to be ready.

Parking didn't seem to be an issue, except in the Sunset lot, which had a 'Parking Full' sign up all day (even in the evening when there were obviously spots available...).

Mentioned in this post
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
8,242 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Park intinerary, lodge parking questions

>> For the lodge, you should treat and assume it to be like any other type of accommodation in North America. It will have its patron only parking.

I have to disagree; I don't think this is typically the case at all. More importantly, I don't think so at Bryce. Definitely not the case at GCNP. At Zion, only when the part is limited to shuttles.

Mentioned in this post
Hudson, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
985 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Park intinerary, lodge parking questions

When visiting the overlooks on the main Bryce amphitheater it is best to use the park shuttle to get around.

When driving the park road to Rainbow Point and back, just use your car. You will be able to find parking at all the overlooks on your return (they're all on the right hand side of the road).

Mentioned in this post
Rainbow Point
Rainbow Point
286 Reviews
Kipling. SK
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park
Level Contributor
7,015 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Park intinerary, lodge parking questions

>> I have to disagree; I don't think this is typically the case at all. More importantly, I don't think so at Bryce. Definitely not the case at GCNP. At Zion, only when the part is limited to shuttles.

How does one interpret this statement? Should one go so far as to assume that the lodge designated parking is free to everyone? If you cannot find parking at the rim, then park at the lodge? Or is it a statement that says that not everyone respects the fact that parking at the lodge should primarily be used by lodge patrons? Tough luck to lodge guests or patrons of the dining room if the lodge parking is full with dayhikers.

Anyways, the best statement to make is to assume that lodge parking is primarily for lodge patrons. The lodge staff may not care that you are there, nor would they ever police their parking lots. You should notify lodge staff of your intent. It would be impolite to do anything less.

Mentioned in this post
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
57 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Park intinerary, lodge parking questions

Thank you all. I am still unclear what would be best. If we get to the Park by 8:30 we could drive ourselves and park at the Sunset viewpoint lot, walk along the rim till Sunrise, go down and come back up at the Sunset viewpoint and pick up our car. Then we could take our car to Inspiration and Bryce viewpoints, and back to the lodge area for lunch. Then we could do the Rainbow Drive ourselves (only one person suggested the shuttle) before going to the lodge for check in. If there is no parking available at Bryce and Inspiration we could do them early on the morning we leave. What do you think?

Mentioned in this post
Kipling. SK
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park
Level Contributor
7,015 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Park intinerary, lodge parking questions

I do not think anyone has suggested the Rainbow Point shuttle. Just note that if you take the Rainbow Point shuttle, you need to reserve your seat in advance. However, I am not sure that any of the experienced contributors here know of the current crowding in the parks. At one point in time, you used to be able to drive the park and find a spot at all overlooks(including Sunset and Sunrise points). Now with the explosion in visitation, I am not sure what to say. So yes, drive the scenic drive yourself. I have not heard if crowding has made this more difficult to find parking spots.

The main amphitheatre is another story. You should be fine early in the morning for Sunrise. Later on towards noon, I am expecting you may have to wait for a parking spot to open for Bryce and Inspiration Points. The shuttle is not mandatory yet, but may provide a less aggravating experience during the mid day.

Mentioned in this post
Rainbow Point
Rainbow Point
286 Reviews
Hudson, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
985 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Park intinerary, lodge parking questions

When I was in Bryce last July, I was able to drive the scenic drive to Rainbow Point and back and stop at all the overlooks on my return with little problem finding a parking spot at those overlooks. That was during the mid-day rush.

However, when I reached the 4 main overlooks in the Bryce amphitheatre (Bryce, Inspiration, Sunset & Sunrise Points), finding a parking spot at 4pm was next to impossible (but somehow I did). I would think visiting the main amphitheatre overlooks before 9am and after 6pm you'd probably be ok, but mid-day you'll be taking a risk. That is why the shuttle is there.

Mentioned in this post
Rainbow Point
Rainbow Point
286 Reviews