We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Salt Lake City to Page Az. - most scenic way?

Vancouver, Canada
6 posts
Driving from Salt Lake City to Page Az. - most scenic way?

Looking at maps - Salt Lake to Page via Hwy 15/70/89 ( as suggested by Mapquest ) is 6 Hours long - No problem.

What about this alternate route via Boulder - Hwy 15/50/24/12/89. It adds 2 hours to the trip.

Is it worth it? Which one is the most scenic?

Tx - Claude

9 replies to this topic
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Salt Lake City, Lake Powell
Level Contributor
20,486 posts
41 reviews
1. Re: Driving from Salt Lake City to Page Az. - most scenic way?

The route over Highway 12 is definitely more scenic. But to best enjoy that route, you should break it up with an overnight somewhere - Torrey, Boulder, Escalante or Bryce. Those two additional hours will be more 3 with stops.

Honestly that 6 hour drive time on the 15/70/89 is wheels turning with absolutely no stops for anything. My husband and I travel between SLC and Page frequently. It usually takes us 7 hours with stops. There was one time in the 30 years that we've been going there that we did it in 6.5 hours.

Also, the 15-70-89 route isn't the fastest. 89 goes through a lot of small Utah towns where you will have to slow to 35 mph. Because it's a two lane road, you can easily get stuck behind RVs and other slow moving vehicles and not be able to pass safely for awhile.

For us, the fastest route from SLC is I 15 all the way to Highway 20 (exit 95). 20 takes you to Panquitch where you get 89 all the way to Page.

Vancouver, Canada
6 posts
2. Re: Driving from Salt Lake City to Page Az. - most scenic way?

Thanks for the quick reply Connie.

As you have suggested, we will take the more scenic route even if it adds more time. Wasn't planning on seeing Bryce canyon but it's a do not miss opportunity. We have a hotel booked for that night in Page so won't be able to stay overnight anywhere. Don't mind the extra couple of hours plus site seeing time. leave SLC early in the morning and get tp Page at night.

Is the alternate route via Boulder - Hwy 15/50/24/12/89 the best way to see Bryce?

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,486 posts
41 reviews
3. Re: Driving from Salt Lake City to Page Az. - most scenic way?

You are underestimating how long it’s really going to take driving of Page by way of Bryce. Adding in a stop at Bryce is going to add another couple of hours to your 9 hour day.

It’s not a good idea to drive in to Page in the dark. The stretch of road between Kanab and Page is pitch black. The area is populated with a lot of wildlife that can be on the road at dusk. You may not see an animal in time to avoid a collision. Plus you will miss some pretty great scenery driving to Page in the dark.

But it’s your trip. So you can choose how to do it. To make even close to working, you should be in your car and on the road by 6 AM.

Vancouver, Canada
6 posts
4. Re: Driving from Salt Lake City to Page Az. - most scenic way?

Ubet - 6AM or before

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
67,149 posts
250 reviews
5. Re: Driving from Salt Lake City to Page Az. - most scenic way?

If you’re going to follow that route, take 2 days. The scenery is worth the stops.

Vancouver, Canada
6 posts
6. Re: Driving from Salt Lake City to Page Az. - most scenic way?

Thanks RedRox, Our original intention was to visit the western Utah area on our next visit. I did not realize that Bryce canyon was an easy detour for us. Sadly, I have only one day to go from SLC to Page. We'll get up at sunrise ( my wife loves that ) make a cursory visit to Bryce and then come back one day to do it right. It's not that far from Vancouver Canada.

1 post
1 review
7. Re: Driving from Salt Lake City to Page Az. - most scenic way?

Hi, I have a question on a similar route. I'm driving from Las Vegas to Page on December 29th and then from Page to Park City on December 30th. Do these roads get snow that might cause delays or closures? Just to consider it in my time schedule

Thanks, Julio

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,486 posts
41 reviews
8. Re: Driving from Salt Lake City to Page Az. - most scenic way?

@jtorreslobo. I’m curious as to why you are driving 5 hours, without stops, from Las Vegas to Page. Is it to do a 90 minute tour of an Antelope Canyon? Just me, but that’s a long way to drive for just that. You will be spending 8 additional hours in the car for a 90 minute experience.

As to your question about road conditions. It’s impossible to say now what the roads will be like at the end of December. You could have no problem at all driving to Park City. Or, you could hit a major snow storm any where on the route north of Cedar City and between SLC and Park City. There have been snowstorms in the past that have closed down the freeway in places while the snow is cleared. Will this happen on December 29and 30, 2018? Impossible to say.

My advice to you would be to stick to I 15 traveling north. Don’t sidetrack to secondary roads like 89 or scenic byway highway 12. By staying on I 15, If you get caught in a snowstorm, there will towns along the route where you can get a hotel room and wait it out, That isn’t necessarily the case on secondary roads. I 15 is a priority for getting the snowplows out.

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
51 reviews
9. Re: Driving from Salt Lake City to Page Az. - most scenic way?

if you are short of time, dont stop at Bryce. For all you know, parking lots may be full and you wont be able to get out of the car.

Hwy 24/12 is plain spectacular. Take as much time there then cut over to 89/.

Reply to: Driving from Salt Lake City to Page Az. - most scenic way?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted