We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

zion/bryce canyon or grand canyon? best time to visit?

Manila
Level Contributor
84 posts
211 reviews
zion/bryce canyon or grand canyon? best time to visit?

which is more beautiful? grand canyon or bryce/zion canyon? is March or April good time to visit? If not, when is the best? Is it suitable for a 4 yr old to visit? Thanks

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
for Bryce Canyon National Park, Bryce, Arches National Park
Level Contributor
7,727 posts
455 reviews
1. Re: zion/bryce canyon or grand canyon? best time to visit?

No way to answer the first question. All three parks are stunning, but each is unique in terms of the views, scenery and geology. Best thing to do is see them all!

As for the time to visit, March/April will be a little chilly for the Grand Canyon and Bryce Canyon. Zion may be a little rainy during that time of year. Also, note that the north rim of the Grand Canyon is closed (the north rim is open mid-May to mid-October).

How much time do you have for your visit? The three parks are close enough that you can visit all three over the course of a week and not feel rushed. Also, if you time your visit such that the north rim is open, you can more easily visit all three parks. The drive from Zion/Bryce to the south rim is a lttle longer, but not a long-haul at all. Plus there are a lot of other thing to see along that route, such as all the sites around Page, AZ.

As for how suitable the parks are for a 4-year old, well, that is not an area of expertise for me, but the parks are kid friendly. There are trails and areas in all the parks that have drop-offs so you need to keep your kids in hand in some areas. I see families with kids of all ages enjoying the parks each time that I have visited.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
16,547 posts
170 reviews
2. Re: zion/bryce canyon or grand canyon? best time to visit?

Can't add much to what Ohio has said. All true.

April might be a little better weather wise depending on storms. And while coming with a little one changes what you do somewhat, my belief is that it is always suitable to bring them to visit parks. 4 might be a little young for the jr ranger programs but check them out as they might give you some ideas to involve him/her in the park since gorgeous views are pretty much lost on someone that young. They are much more interested in looking for lizards, or colored rocks or splashing in water :-) One of my more favorite memories is my kids digging in the sand at Emerald Pools in Zion.

3. Re: zion/bryce canyon or grand canyon? best time to visit?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 May 2010, 01:21
Get answers to your questions about Bryce Canyon National...