We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Enough time for Navajo/Queens Garden Trail?

Nashua, New...
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Topic
Enough time for Navajo/Queens Garden Trail?

We will be arriving in Bryce around 10am and wanted to know if there is enough time to do the Navajo/Queens Garden loop as well as drive to the end of the scenic road and stop at the viewpoints on the way back? We will be staying at the Bryce View Lodge.

Salt Lake City, UT
Level Contributor
629 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Enough time for Navajo/Queens Garden Trail?

I'm assuming this would be sometime "soon" (in the summertime), when the days are nice and long? Then I would say that yes, you would have plenty of time to do this. The guidebooks recommend 1-3 hours for the entire loop. We did this hike in snow one winter and it took us about 2 hours, with PLENTY of stops for photos. And then the scenic drive is not very long as all; you would still have plenty of time to stop and enjoy the viewpoints. Good luck!

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,332 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Enough time for Navajo/Queens Garden Trail?

You should be able to do that. The Navajo/Queens Garden is around three miles. Then head up to Rainbow Point and see the viewpoints on the way back. Head back to the main amphiteater for sunset.

See if there are any night sky programs while you are there.

www.nps.gov/brca

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,770 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Enough time for Navajo/Queens Garden Trail?

Plenty of time. Stop at the visitors center and enjoy stops at the other viewpoints as well.

London, UK
Level Contributor
147 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Enough time for Navajo/Queens Garden Trail?

Your plan will work easily, BUT I would recommend using the free bus tour that Bryce offer but is poorly advertised ! Someone else does the driving, you get a commentary, there are copious stops and it goes further than the shuttle bus.

Look half way down the page using the Bryce NP link below :

nps.gov/brca/…CP_JUMP_394115

I would take the morning trip so you can guarantee making the departure time - if you're @ Bryce the night before you can pre-book on arrival. I did that from the courtesy phone in the VC the afternoon before (after by chance finding out about it !) - the office/departure point is the terminal by the main car park before the entrance.

I cover it and the main trail I did (which is what you plan).in my comprehensive Trip Adv 'Trip list' I compiled after my month in Utah last year - it's presently section 19.

I hope/think it is useful for you.

I managed to fit in the bus tour, trail, and lots of other additional stops later on in the day using the shuttle bus - so 1 day can be ample for an excellent Bryce experience.

The TL has been made a Trip Advisor 'Itinerary', accessed to the right of your post. Another easy way to access it is by clicking my review-count below my profile name to the left of this review text.

The TA link is :

tripadvisor.co.uk/GoListDetail-i24850-Las_Ve…

Alternatively, to search via TA, it is entitled 'Las Vegas to Zion, Bryce and other SUtah Natl Parks + Monument Valley-May 2011'.

Also, please feel free to send me messages with any questions.

Nashua, New...
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Enough time for Navajo/Queens Garden Trail?

Thanks everyone for all the helpful information.

I have another question. Should we do the road first than hike the loop or vice versa?

Edited: 26 April 2012, 13:15
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,770 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Enough time for Navajo/Queens Garden Trail?

I would check out the main amphitheater,,,,Sunrise, Sunset and Inspiration points. From there you can decide if you just can't wait to do the hike or if you want to wait to do it later. Temperatures might influence your decision, lunch plans also. I don't think it really matters one way or the other.

7. Re: Enough time for Navajo/Queens Garden Trail?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 15:16