We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to stay

long island
Level Contributor
519 posts
28 reviews
where to stay

Looking to visit Crater Lake early September. Looking to stay in Medford or Klamath falls. Which location is a better drive to Crater Lake. Which has better things to do and better eating choices?

Longview, Washington
Destination Expert
for Mount Rainier National Park
Level Contributor
2,590 posts
139 reviews
1. Re: where to stay

You don't say where you will be coming from, but I'm guessing Portland or San Francisco, so Medford would be the easiest. I'd pick Medford over Klamath Falls, since the road from Medford to the south entrance of the park is the one that is open year round.

Medford probably has better eating choices as it is a somewhat larger city than Klamath Falls. Medford is also just 20 miles from Ashland where they have the famous Oregon Shakespeare Festival, if something like that would interest you. The plays are presented until late October.

long island
Level Contributor
519 posts
28 reviews
2. Re: where to stay

yes will be traveling from San F or Portland. I thought Medford was also the better pick.How are the boat rides in the Rogue River?

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
44,474 posts
1,111 reviews
3. Re: where to stay

There is lodging all around Crater Lake, which would mean less driving to visit there as it's about 2 hours one way Medford -> CL. Just another option.

Click on the blue link if interested:

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i23338-Crater_L…

Longview, Washington
Destination Expert
for Mount Rainier National Park
Level Contributor
2,590 posts
139 reviews
4. Re: where to stay

The Hellgate Jet boat tours from Grants Pass are great fun. The weather should be warm there, you will get wet! We took the dinner tour--great food, if you leave hungry, it's your own fault!

The other Rogue River option is the jet boat tours from Gold Beach over the the Oregon coast. They go upriver to the little town of Agnes. It will probably be warm in Agnes, but when you start the tour in the morning it can be rather chilly. We've done both (on the same trip actually) and enjoyed each of them.

Level Contributor
39,055 posts
1,014 reviews
5. Re: where to stay

We just did the Gold Beach lunch trip with Jerry's and loved it. Lucas Lodge was wonderful for lunch. It is an additional $12/pp for lunch. :).

6. Re: where to stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2013, 00:16