We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Route Around Crater Lake

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
18 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Route Around Crater Lake

We are coming from Shady Cove at the end of July. Despite hours of reading, I'm still confused. I know I'm coming in at a fee station in the southwest. Better to go clockwise or counter clockwise? The whole loop is 33 miles, so I assume I'll have to doubleback somewhere since we are headed to Redmond. I know it depends on the individual, but would three hours do it for the loop? Thanks.

Crater Lake
Hiking Trails, Bodies of Water, National Parks, Volcanoes, Waterfalls
Rim Drive
Scenic Drives
Oregon
Level Contributor
424 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Route Around Crater Lake

I would travel clockwise so you are in the lane closest to the rim. Three hours should be enough to stop several times and peer over the edge and ooh and aah. I would roam around the lodge a bit; and stroll along the rim in the general "rim village" area [there are a few good vantage points].

Three hours will not be enough time to include a hike to the lake and take the boat ride.

Edited: 15 July 2012, 00:01
Oregon
Level Contributor
424 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Route Around Crater Lake

You will travel the same route twice for a short bit -- not bad.

My Crater Lake advice: take a jacket or sweatshirt as it could be chilly; if you can swing it, take some drinks and snacks [food up there is expensive, not that great, and the choice is limited]; and be careful. I worked there for a summer so perk up when I hear Crater Lake news -- tragedies are not rare, and generally involve someone being a bit too adventurous around the rim.

It's beautiful! Have fun.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Route Around Crater Lake

First off I don't think driving east rim is necessary. You get the best by visiting Rim Village then the west rim. Much of east rim is well away from lake with some short drives to view points.

However if you insist on the loop suggest counterclockwise. East rim starts Vis Center before you make the climb up to Rim Village. If you do it clockwise need to make that climb twice. The first few miles from Vis Center not very interesting

I think better way to see some of east rim is to leave west rim at point you head out the north entrance, maybe drive as far as Cleetwood Clove parking lot or a bit further.

Edited: 15 July 2012, 01:20
Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,393 posts
1,083 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Route Around Crater Lake

If the website can be believed the east rim is not yet completely open! Probably will be in another couple of weeks, though:

nps.gov/crla/planyourvisit/spring-opening.htm

The views are better from the west rim, IMO. If you are not doing the hike/ boat ride you may find just the west rim satisfies your viewing requirements.

5. Re: Route Around Crater Lake

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 July 2013, 14:16
Get answers to your questions about Crater Lake National...