We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Swiftcurrent, Fishercap, and Bears

Nebo, NC
Level Contributor
231 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Swiftcurrent, Fishercap, and Bears

I plan to be in GNP the second week of September and will be staying at Swiftcurrent for two nights. I hope to set out for the Fishercap Lake area by dawn and again late afternoon in hopes of photographing moose. I'll be solo on the hikes and wonder whether those trails are well populated. I would be uneasy about being alone with bears in the area. Usually, in the parks, most of the foot traffic is mid-morning to mid-afternoon. Anyone have a feel for the chances I might have of tagging along with other hikers this time of year and these times of day?

buffalo
Level Contributor
1,628 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Swiftcurrent, Fishercap, and Bears

I hike solo all the time in September at Glacier (usually start at dawn and am often the first one on the trail that day). I often see moose at Fishercap Lake which is a short trip down the Swiftcurrent Trail. This is a VERY well traveled trail but not so much at dawn (which will just after 7 AM that time of year) but you might find another "early bird" or two heading out. I wouldn't hike 50 yards from a parking lot at Glacier without bear spray even if I were with a few other people (though I've never had to use my bear spray in 850 miles of hiking in the Park..I have had it out twice with safety off when bears were within 40 or 50 years of me)...

Nebo, NC
Level Contributor
231 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Swiftcurrent, Fishercap, and Bears

Thank you, Toodnick. Once I reach the lake, I would probably want to linger for 1/2 hr. or more and I guess other hikers may have moved on. Anywhere conveient on the east side of the park to purchase bear spray?

Spokane, Washington
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park, Spokane
Level Contributor
3,208 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Swiftcurrent, Fishercap, and Bears

bear spray is everywhere for purchase, and there is a store right at the head of the trail at Swiftcurrent lodge. This is a very busy bear area!

Backing off from Swiftcurret a mile, off the road and the resavoir gives an interesting perspective on the mountains at sunrise. A common shooting spot is right behind MG lodge at sunrise.

Nebo, NC
Level Contributor
231 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Swiftcurrent, Fishercap, and Bears

k2kelley, I've sent a message with the itinerary on the trip. But, as to this post, you mention reservoir--not one of the lakes? This is all uncharted territory for me!

st louis
Level Contributor
264 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Swiftcurrent, Fishercap, and Bears

I went to Fishercap one morning by myself with my bearspray of course. I saw a couple of people but then I had the lake to myself for quiet awhile. I sat on a log and had a deer drinking from the lake right in front of me. Her little fawn came out of the woods and she chased the fawn back in the woods and kept on drinking and eating in front of me.Ther were no moose that morning. I think if the moose were there there would have been people around. We only saw the moose one evening but went twice each day hoping. We were there the last week of August. I loved Swiftcurrent.

Edited: 13 March 2013, 15:03
Nebo, NC
Level Contributor
231 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Swiftcurrent, Fishercap, and Bears

Well, funmom, so far, most of the reported moose sightings have been in the late afternoons. Looks like I better plan accordingly!

Mahtomedi, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park
Level Contributor
2,054 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Swiftcurrent, Fishercap, and Bears

The Reservoir k2kelly speaks of is Lake Sherburne and it is on the left side of the road just past the Park entrance. last summer the NPS pulled an elk or moose carcass across the lake and as many as 13 different grizzlies were observed feeding off it. Constant bear jams along that road as a sow and two year old ate and played along there and quite close to the road.

Nebo, NC
Level Contributor
231 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Swiftcurrent, Fishercap, and Bears

Thanks, gnp4me and funmom. It's a challenge to plan a trip around photography when you don't know what time of day is best for lighting on a scene or where to set the camera up. And then there's the weather...

And, unless you have an extended stay, you only get one chance to get it right. So, I am always grateful to fellow travelers who can share their expertise and guidance.

9. Re: Swiftcurrent, Fishercap, and Bears

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 March 2014, 00:15