We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

first time visitor

washington
Level Contributor
42 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
first time visitor

we are a large group comprised of active adults, and active children. We will have 10 days(June/July timeframe) in the Whitefish, Glacier and Waterton area and were hoping for advice. Any ideas as to where to stay and which hikes to do would be greatly appreciated. If there are any white water rafting, mountain biking or horse back riding ventures you would recommend that would be helpful. Lastly, good dining options are always a plus. We also really like wildlife so if there are certain areas that are good for that. Lastly, we would like to stay at Prince of Wales hotel in Waterton but should we break up the trip at different location or rent one large house?

Whitefish, Montana
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park
Level Contributor
1,651 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: first time visitor

The main spot for hiking is Many Glacier I'll leave lodging to others as I always camp.

www.glacierhikers.com/day-hikes-many.html

Grinnell Glacier Trail might not be open the whole way with your time frame but is still worth doing.

Even in early June you should be able to get to the Grinnell Lake view spot.

www.glacierhikers.com/grinnell-glacier.html

Iceberg Lake Trail will more likely be open but don't neglect Grinnell.

I hiked there this year on the 23rd of June and Iceberg Lake was still frozen.

www.glacierhikers.com/iceberg-lake.html

St Mary and Virginia Falls on the Going To the Sun Road are easy scenic hikes, parking next year will be tricky with road construction.

www.glacierhikers.com/st-mary.html

If the highline Trail is open that would also be on my must do list.

www.glacierhikers.com/highline-trail.html

Since you're active you could try for Mount Brown steep trail with a great view of Lake McDonald. Not a lot of views on the way up.

www.glacierhikers.com/mount-brown-trail.html

Scenic Point in Two Medicine will be partly open to a great view spot during your time frame.

Great views but can be very windy. Good chance for wildlifeviewing, Big Horn Rams, ewes and lambs, rairly a fox.

www.glacierhikers.com/scenic-point.html

montana slow hiker

indiana
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,947 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: first time visitor

Depending on your budget, Swiftcurrent or Many Glacier hotel in the Many Glacier valley. I like Many Glacier but hear the cabins at Swiftcurrent are fine. I just like to wake up and see the lake at sunrise. As stated by Slow Hiker many upper elevation trails may still have snow but offer great views even if you can't complete the hike. You can do a day trip to Waterton from Many. You might also want to spend one or two nights on the west side. I think you need to change locations to avoid long drive times. If you rent a house on one side of the park, the drive to the other is 2-3 hours.

Mansfield...
Level Contributor
40 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: first time visitor

Last time in the area I took a day off hiking and went to Whitfish Mtn. In the summer they offer Zip lines, Alpine mtn ride and a ropes course in the trees plus other activities.

Spokane, Washington
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park, Spokane
Level Contributor
2,962 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: first time visitor

Whitewater is high, fast and cold at that time of year so be prepared. Hiking is limited based on snow levels but as suggested Many Glacier has great hikes even is only part way up the trails. Horseback is better out of Many glacier than lake McDonald

I would break up the trip, so securing lodging even this far out is a priority. And remember, going to Waterton, you need the approved government documents to get back into the states.

Mahtomedi, Minnesota
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,051 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: first time visitor

how large of a group are you? The lodging that is available to large groups is very limited that time of year. I take groups of women to Glacier every summer. I will have to cancel one of my reservations for Sperry Chalet as I was unable to obtain reservations at Village Inn or Many Glacier/Swift Current before and after our time at the chalet. my advice to you would be to see what you can get in the park first. At this point it may be difficult to find enough rooms at those locations. If you can't find anything there is a KOA that has cabins in West Glacier. From there you can take day trips to anywhere in the park. Whitefish would be another idea. Lots more options there with lots to do.

PA
Level Contributor
85 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: first time visitor

Don't think anyone mentioned Hidden Lake Trail yet. That is an awesome hike! We saw lots of rams, goats, and a nice buck when we went. Just remember to wear good shoes, as there will be snow on the trail and it can be slick coming down (we saw people in flip flops not a good idea!) For lodging at many glacier I would suggest the Swiftcurrent Cabins if you can get one. We stayed in a cabin, as well as the Swiftcurrent motel, and we preferred the cabins by far, plus they're much more inexpensive. Definitely hike to the Grinnell lake overlook, it is breathtaking. We saw moose down in the lake from the overlook, and also saw two grizzlies while waiting for the boat to return. Also there are usually grizzlies behind Many Glacier Hotel on the hillside in the evening. No matter what you decide to do you'll have an amazing time. It's the best place on earth!

Missoula, Montana
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: first time visitor

Lot's of great advice here, especially Montana_slowhiker's detailed post.

Everybody seems to swear by the Going to the Sun Road, so I hope your 10-day stay will include that in your itinerary. Many Glacier Hotel is a favorite. If you decide to stay there, I would suggest that you book now because it fills up very quickly.

For a long list of things to do (plus lots more tips: how to get there, how to get around, where to stay, what to do, tips and tricks, etc), here's a site that I always refer my friends to: http://www.glaciermt.com. I hope this helps, and enjoy your trip!

8. Re: first time visitor

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 November 2014, 00:17
Get answers to your questions about Glacier National Park