We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving Through the Grand canyon

Atlanta, Georgia
2 posts
Driving Through the Grand canyon
Save

hi, i am driving to the grand canyon from phoenix.. staying for 2 days and then driving back. Can anyone tell me about condition of the roads, is it better to rent a SUV or will a compact work? we plan to drive from the south to the north rim too.

Sedona, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
81,065 posts
229 reviews
230 helpful votes
1. Re: Driving Through the Grand canyon
Save

The roads are all paved highways. You can do it in any kind of vehicle.

You will not be driving in the canyon itself. You will be driving in the parks. The drive from the South Rim to the North rim will take 4-5 hours in each direction and will take you through the Painted Desert. If you don't have over night lodging reservations at the NR I'd reconsider going all the way there and back. Better to spend your time inside the park at the South Rim.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
21,169 posts
110 reviews
100 helpful votes
2. Re: Driving Through the Grand canyon
Save

I would suggest that you go to the website and familiarize yourself with the park. http://www.nps.gov/grca

If you have never been there, I would suggest focusing on the South Rim. If RedRox response is not clear enough, there are no roads through the Grand Canyon. To get to the North Rim, you drive around the canyon to Cameron, go north, and then cross the river at Lees Ferry, and then looping through the area north of the canyon and back south to the North Rim area.

If this works, this is the route from Yahoo Maps:

http://maps.yahoo.com/?ard=1&mvt%3Dm%26lat%3D36.336475%26lon%3D-111.80545%26zoom%3D10%26q1%3Dgrand%2520canyon%252C%2520az%26q2%3Dgrand%2520canyon%2520north%2520rim%252C%2520az

Rather than spending an entire day driving to and from the North Rim, and then a few hours there, you may want to just stay at the South Rim. You can drive your car on the East Rim area and in the central GC Village Area. The West Rim road is closed to private vehicles (exceptions for the handicapped). There are free shuttles in the village area on on the West Rim road. It is best to park and use the shuttles.

If you have your dates, book your lodging. It is best to stay inside the park, www.grandcanyonlodging.com. If no availability, check hotels in Tusayan just outside the park.

Edited: 12 years ago
Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
21,169 posts
110 reviews
100 helpful votes
3. Re: Driving Through the Grand canyon
Save

Sorry, that should have been http://www.grandcanyonlodges.com

4. Re: Driving Through the Grand canyon

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity.

What are forum guidelines?
© 2023 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Canada. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.