We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

East Rim Gate--is this possible coming from Scottsdale

Mass
Level Contributor
104 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
East Rim Gate--is this possible coming from Scottsdale

We will be traveling to GCNP in September coming from Scottsdale and spending the night at Maswik Lodge. I have read so many great ideas on this site--thanks in advance. My question is will enter the East rim gate--if not is there a particular street I can mapquest to get to the east rim? I know where we are staying is pretty close to the south rim. Also, how far would it be from where we are staying to the East Rim--and does the shuttle bus go to this point. Thanks

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: East Rim Gate--is this possible coming from Scottsdale

Shuttle bus won't go to Desert View (east rim) so best coming from Scottsdale will be to take I17 to Flagstaff, us89 to Cameron and az64 into the NP. There's a great loop off 89 via Sunset Crater Volcano and Wupatki NMs but it will take extra time of course. Already many viewpoints on Grand Canyon from Desert View to GC Village. Without detours or stops it app will take 3.5 hours to get to Cameron from Scottsdale and 30 minutes to Desert View from there.,

Tet

Mass
Level Contributor
104 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: East Rim Gate--is this possible coming from Scottsdale

Thanks for the info...would I be better off just going to the South Rim-and then do the drive to the Desert View (east rim)?

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: East Rim Gate--is this possible coming from Scottsdale

The drive from Scottsdale to the south entrance of the NP also will take 4 hours. I'd take its east entrance and already see viewpoints on the way to GC Village. Where are you heading after GC?

Mass
Level Contributor
104 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: East Rim Gate--is this possible coming from Scottsdale

Thanks so much Tet then that is what we will do..I wanted to trip to mapquest--is there a particular landmark as far as getting a street address to either mapquest it or we will have a GPS as well but I have heard it's not a wise idea to use the GPS in the Canyon.

Wickenburg, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Wickenburg
Level Contributor
2,740 posts
745 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: East Rim Gate--is this possible coming from Scottsdale

There is no east rim, you're getting confused here. You are going to the south rim, and this is the grand canyon natinal park. This park has two gates, an east gate and a south gate. Coming up and 89 from Flagstaff and gthen onto 64 through Cameron will take you straight top the east gate to the park on the south rim ... that is the best thing for you to do. You'll then drive along rim drive, which is along this south rim, and stop at the viewpoints - at your discretion and lesiure, till you reach 'the village', which is where the lodghes are. From there it's about 10-15 minutes to the south exit of this park, where 64 will take you down to Williams and I-40.

the rim drive has a western section, west of the village, called Hermit Road. This bis closed to lpriovate traffic from spring to fall (except vehicles with the handicapped sign) and a free shuttle will take yxou along hermit Road to the different viewpoints along it as far as the terminus, Hermit's Rest. All this is south rim.

(The Colorado cuts the Grand Canyon east to west, thus you have a north and a south rim. The north rim is 4-5 hrs drive away from the suoth rim as you need to go all around the outside of the canyon to the nearest bridge).

GPS is unreliable in that area. Drive to Flagstaff, probably directly up I-17, then take 89 north from Flagstaff to Cameron, turn right, west, at Cameron onto 64 - you REALLY can't go wrong with this, don't worry.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
54,328 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: East Rim Gate--is this possible coming from Scottsdale

The road through the GCNP is Arizona64. It passes through the main gate near Tusayan, north of Williams. And it passes through the east gate at Desert View, inside the park, west of Cameron.

The time and distance from Scottsdale to either gate is about the same, approximately 4 hours. The hotel zone in the park is closer to the main gate. So entering at Desert View will add close to an hour or longer to drive the 25 miles along AZ64 from Desert View to Grand Canyon Village.

Wickenburg, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Wickenburg
Level Contributor
2,740 posts
745 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: East Rim Gate--is this possible coming from Scottsdale

turn LEFT of course onto 64 at Cameron ... LEFT (=west)

Mass
Level Contributor
104 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: East Rim Gate--is this possible coming from Scottsdale

Fabulous..thanks so much---and Esty thanks for the LEFT--that's key for a bunch of country bumkins!

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
15,198 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: East Rim Gate--is this possible coming from Scottsdale

Don't depend on GPS in Northern Arizona except in urban areas as it is often wrong. Use an actual map to find the directions above.

As far as "mapquest" is concerned, if you put Cameron in as your destination, that will take you to Hwy 64 to the east gate as above.

Royal Wootton...
Level Contributor
185 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: East Rim Gate--is this possible coming from Scottsdale

The OP hasn't said where they are going after GCNP.

If it is eastwards, they could be better doing Desert View drive on the way out of the park. This will free up some time on way to GCNP to South gate, to take in the incredible beauty of Sedona (2 hrs from Scottsdale & 2 hours from GCNP)