We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fall weather clothing

3 posts
Fall weather clothing

I'm from Texas and I'm hitting up ONP this October for the first time but I have no clue what to bring as far as clothing is concerned. Any tips from the locals would be greatly appreciated, y'all stay blessed.

9 replies to this topic
Port Townsend...
Level Contributor
3,882 posts
90 reviews
1. Re: Fall weather clothing

The answer you will get to this one is pretty much the same year round. Here in the Northwest we do layers. First you have a base layer (T-shirt, etc). If the weather is warm, this is it. If the wind picks up or it gets a little colder, on goes the fleece jacket or sweatshirt. If it gets even colder or wetter, on goes the waterproof raincoat with a hood with hats and gloves stuck in the pockets. On my feet are good waterproof hiking shoes.

If I am going to be outside in Olympics and I expect rain, I will add a pair of rainpants to this outfit. This type of dressing will pretty much get you through anything you might need in October.

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
11,709 posts
21 reviews
2. Re: Fall weather clothing

While Traveler11223 covers all the bases, you might not need all of that for a short trip. Could you tell us exactly where you will be in ONP and what you plan to do? Also, October is a transition month, and the first week or two can be quite different from late October. I'd hold back on the rain pants and the waterproof shoes unless I were coming late in the month, but you will need good hiking shoes no matter what. The trails in ONP are good enough that you don't actually need hiking boots, but they are still a good idea, especially if you want to do a rocky trail like Deer Lake.

Don't forget to pack a sun hat and good sunglasses, too.

3 posts
3. Re: Fall weather clothing

I'll be coming in on the 8th and will stay there for about 6 days. Since the trip is still 4 months away I haven't really looked at what trails to hit up so I'm open to any suggestions.

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,709 posts
21 reviews
4. Re: Fall weather clothing

I would leave the rain pants and waterproof shoes at home, but I would take everything else Traveler listed, or its equivalent. Hurricane Ridge and the trails around it could be chilly in early to mid-October. I manage very well in a sunproof light shirt, with a good cashmere seater (don't laugh; cashmere keeps you warm but not too warm), and a very light waterproof shell with a hood. I always wear a hat and usually carry gloves in October. The most important things are thick smartwool socks and good hiking shoes or boots. You should not need much more in the first weeks of October. Later in the season, long underwear, and a warmer jacket can be necessary in the mountains.

The beaches can be cool and windy, so bring the same things there, although you won't need the gloves. Same applies to the Quinault Rain Forest, which is your only shot a seeing a rain forest, as the Hoh RF will be closed by October for road repair, and the other two forests are too far or too muddy in the fall.

Don't hike in cotton. Jeans are not a comfortable choice, and if you sweat in a cotton top, you can wind up feeling both sticky and cold. An undershirt made up of either very thin wool or one of the breathable sports fabrics is great if you are going to be very active.

If you go kayaking, the outfitter will provide the necessary clothes.

If you are going to be doing a lot of mountain trails, consider hiking poles.

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,691 posts
8 reviews
5. Re: Fall weather clothing

So much depends on how much time you are outside and how much hiking you are doing and What kind of hiking if any. Evenings can get pretty cool. Rain is certainly a possibility, but not a given. In most cases a hat, a sweat shirt and some kind of jacket will do. I prefer good hiking boots or decent hiking shoes. You don’t need to spend a lot of money. If you are doing short easy hikes a breathable water resistant jacket or Goretex coat is sure nice to have with you. Again for one visit there is no need to spend a lot of money on expensive clothing. I prefer to have something appropriate in the way of rain gear for an outer shell so that if it does rain I can stay on the traiks most of the day. Makes for a good windbreaker on the beaches anyway. I have not used rainpants for years since I stopped doing multi day backpacking.

Port Townsend...
Level Contributor
3,882 posts
90 reviews
6. Re: Fall weather clothing

I think Kaleberg is envisioning something different than I meant when I spoke of waterproof hiking shoes. I wear Ahnu hiking shoes which are great hiking shoes that also happen to be waterproof. They are great in all weather and I wear them year round.

3 posts
7. Re: Fall weather clothing

I really want to hit up the rainforest and see as much as I can while I'm there so I'll be doing 5 one day hikes and explore different parts of the park

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,709 posts
21 reviews
8. Re: Fall weather clothing

Oh, sorry, Traveler11223. I know Ahnu, and they are great. I thought you were talking about totally waterproof boots.

Mocha, remember that the Hoh Rain Forest will be closed in October. The Bogachiel Rain Forest trails are too primitive and too muddy to hike at that time, and the Queets is very remote. That leaves one rain forest for you to visit, the Quinault.

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,691 posts
8 reviews
9. Re: Fall weather clothing

Forgot the Hoh closure is into October. Although the Queets should be shallow keep in mind that you need to cross the river to get on the trail. Bring a. Good walkinG stick or strong branch for balance. If you do walk the Queets trail the world’s biggest Douglas Fir is just off the trail.

Reply to: Fall weather clothing
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted