We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sul doc hotsprings

Level Contributor
8 posts
96 reviews
Sul doc hotsprings

Tell me what they are really like. I realize it’s all health and safetey with manmade pools. Will it be super crowded? Is it worth the stop after hiking to the falls?

11 replies to this topic
Renton, WA
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
1. Re: Sul doc hotsprings

It is not worth a stop no matter what you have been doing.

Level Contributor
8 posts
96 reviews
2. Re: Sul doc hotsprings

Would you mind telling me why it’s not worth the stop?

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
11,728 posts
20 reviews
3. Re: Sul doc hotsprings

It is super crowded, and it is not clean. I know I am not supposed to say that, but there is absolutely no way hot tubs like this can be kept fully clean with that level of use. Ten years ago the pools had to be shut down in August because of bacterial contamination. The water is monitored, and there have been no more shutdowns as far as I know, but there is still the ick factor.

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,697 posts
8 reviews
4. Re: Sul doc hotsprings

I never understand hot springs in Summer if you are talking Summer even after hiking. They do have cold pools. If I were trying entertain kids maybe. It will be crowded and there will be lots of children. They are like an old community swimming pool. I have not visited in over 30 years as they just never appealed to me so I’ve never returned. With lots of people I did not find it very relaxing.

Renton, WA
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
5. Re: Sul doc hotsprings

"Would you mind telling me why it’s not worth the stop?"

https://goo.gl/maps/irybWXuMW4q

First, look at how far it is from US-101....click on the photograph in the lower left corner to get an overhead view of the road; with that time investment, and the name "resort" to lure me on, I would expect something more than a parking lot with cabins and a mediocre eating (can't bring myself to say "dining") experience.

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,728 posts
20 reviews
6. Re: Sul doc hotsprings

Well, the OP will be hiking to the falls, so she'll already be there. Even so, I wouldn't do it. It's just not an attractive place. Bobmrg summed it up perfectly: a bunch of huts set around a parking lot and a mediocre, but fairly expensive, restaurant.

Banks, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,519 posts
35 reviews
7. Re: Sul doc hotsprings

Yes, kaleberg, that mediocre, fairly expensive restaurant (good call by the way). Too bad I didn't talk to you before my jaunt there :). I stopped in to just have a late lunch after hiking the Sol Duc Falls Trail (that was very pretty). I was not at all impressed with the restaurant. A cafe, basically, with a huge picture window looking out at the bathers. No place else to look. Not pleasant and since I was alone, I basically stared at my place setting until my food arrived.

I did, however have a marvelous meal and views another day at the Lake Crescent Lodge, and the one at Lake Quinault Lodge is good, too. Well, two out of three isn',t bad, eh,?

Edited: 22 June 2018, 20:08
Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,728 posts
20 reviews
8. Re: Sul doc hotsprings

Oh dear. Is this a subtle comment about the state of the American figure? I suspect it is, and alas, it may be justified. I do have a lingering feeling of gratitude to the restaurant for the night my car broke down in the Sol Duc Falls parking lot after my husband and I had hiked for six exhausting hours to The Potholes and back. It took hours for AAA to get a tow truck to us, and we holed up in the restaurant while waiting. The food wasn't great, but we were so relieved to have a place to wait and refuel it all passed in a merciful blur.

Banks, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,519 posts
35 reviews
9. Re: Sul doc hotsprings

I am glad they helped you out :).

No, really! I did not mean that. It was just awkward, is all, for all. I just like looking at trees , lakes and mountains while I dine. I guess I'm weird that way. ;)

Level Contributor
8 posts
96 reviews
10. Re: Sul doc hotsprings

This is all super helpful. Thank you. I’d rather spend the day hiking then get a mediocre experience at the hot springs.

Reply to: Sul doc hotsprings
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted