We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hurricane Ridge - Early November?

1 post
Hurricane Ridge - Early November?

Per the website, Hurricane Ridge Rd switches to winter season on Nov 1 and requires snow chains. I'll be arriving to Washington for a weekend retreat on Nov 8 and have only 1 day to sight see. My plan is to start my day in Port Angeles, drive to the Sol Duc falls trail head, see the falls, go to Marymere Falls, viewing Crescent Lake along the way, then drive up Hurricane Ridge, and then head back to Port Ludlow by dinner, all on November 9.

Will I need snow chains? Where can one rent them? I'll of course check the conditions as time gets closer, but should I plan on scrapping any of the above plans right off?

1 reply
Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
11,774 posts
20 reviews
1. Re: Hurricane Ridge - Early November?

Your schedule is fine. Assuming you don't have a road construction delay on Highway 101 along Lake Crescent, it will take 1 hour to reach the Sol Duc Falls trailhead from Port Angeles. The walk to the falls and back is about 50 minutes. The Marymere Falls walk is also about 50 minutes. November is a great time to see waterfalls; they should be roaring nicely after all the autumn rain.

I would be very surprised if you needed chains in early November. There might be a little snow up there, but you are more likely to be troubled by fog. If it is foggy, do not go. The road could be dangerous, and you would not be able to see anything anyway. The ranger at the entry station will not ask you about chains. Of course, there is a chance you could be unlucky. There have been early snowfalls. However, it really is not likely that early in the year.

Unfortunately, I don't know where to rent chains, and rental car companies do not allow them.

Reply to: Hurricane Ridge - Early November?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted