We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One day trip to Olympic National Park

Downey, California
9 posts
One day trip to Olympic National Park

My girlfriend and I are visiting family in Tacoma and we are planning on doing a one-day trip to Olympic national Park. We would definitely like to hit hurricane Ridge. How much of the park is possible to see in one day and what will the weather be like in late October?

3 replies to this topic
Renton, Washington
Level Contributor
5,166 posts
1. Re: One day trip to Olympic National Park

https://goo.gl/maps/bbD8effa4xC2

Hurricane Ridge is ALL that you will be able to see...you will not be able to see ANY of the park. Travel time will eat up your day, and days are getting shorter at the end of October. The attractions that most people come to ONP to see are from Lake Crescent west to the coast and then south. Considering that weather is so changeable in the HR area you may be making a long drive for nothing.

nps.gov/customcf/webcam/dsp_webcam_image.cfm…

This is the webcam view today...check the webcam before you leave Tacoma.

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
11,768 posts
20 reviews
2. Re: One day trip to Olympic National Park

I feel exactly the same way as Bobmrg. I hope, at least, that your trip would be on a weekend, as the traffic between Port Angeles and Tacoma is ghastly in general but even ghastlier on weekdays. Late October is usually a time of rain and fog, which could make a visit to Hurricane Ridge unpleasant and even dangerous. The days are fairly short, too.

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
11,718 posts
8 reviews
3. Re: One day trip to Olympic National Park

Watch the weather forecast. Driving all the way to Hurricane Ridge is not worth it if it is socked in, which is very typical in late October. I am assuming that you have been to Mt. Rainier before? If not and the weather was decent IMO that would be a far better option. An option if it were grey would be to visit the Eastern Side of the Olympics and visit an Old Growth Forest. One option would be Staircase near Lake Cushman.

Reply to: One day trip to Olympic National Park
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted