We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

11 Nights ONP Itinerary Advice

Which Olympic National Park hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hollywood, FL
Level Contributor
32 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
11 Nights ONP Itinerary Advice

Hi, I have been studying and reading as advised to another poster; these forums are amazing, thank in advance glaciermeadow and Kaleberg and others. Planning 11 nights. The more I read the more I realize I could spend an entire summer exploring the peninsula!!! So, this leads me to your advise. Two of us, Kevin and myself, early 50's, fairly fit. Interested in the following (not necessarily in this order of fondness): Hiking (day-hikes, moderate, w/occasional stren.), would like to get close to a glacier (walked on one in NZ), waterfall, rainforest, vista-views, at least two of the best beaches with exploring tide pools, Indian culture (best place, interaction, possible or staying near village), wildlife would love to see a bear or marmots, horseback riding (haven't seen any rentals in my search), winery (not a must).

I would like to stay in cabin-type rental with at least kitchenette, approx. $100. (the Boggie Bunglalow, as advised, looks perfect, got an email sent, thank you for recommendation looking for others like this).

So, I am thinking to break it up in quads. 3, 3 night stays, and one two night stay. I haven't research much yet in the eastern, SE or Port Townsend area, was going to skip it, your advise?

What, in your opinion, to explore the best of the best, would the accomoation quad's be and what are the must-see & hike in each. Thinking:

1) 3 nights Boggie Bungalow: can I explore 2 best beaches from there, and the Quinault area as well as Hoh?

2) Port Angeles: cabins? Close to great hiking?

3) other two areas to stay recommendation?

I saw rentals in the Clallam Bay area. Is this a good option, with a day trip to Ozette Lake or is a option to stay at Ozette Lake area. Hear not much in Neah Bay (skip?)

Thank you for all your help in advance. Trying to get a lay of the land before booking nights-stays so that we can get the most of each day.

Best Regards, Paisley

Port Townsend...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
Level Contributor
8,961 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 11 Nights ONP Itinerary Advice

When?

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
8,829 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 11 Nights ONP Itinerary Advice

I am assuming you are visiting in Summer.The Boggie Bungalow is perfect for the Hoh River and Rialto and Second Beach. Be aware the Bungalow is close to the Highway and has houses on both sides. Not in anyway a problem, just do not think of it being isolated.You will like it! It is too far from Quinault and The Quinault Valley is fabulous so I suggest you stay there also.There are older cabins there at Locherie Resort on the North Shore Road. You can walk across the road from there to the remnants of the worlds largest red cedar that is estimated to be over a thousand years old. Google Quinault Rainforest which has great information. Bring food from Forks or Aberdeen to cook depending on what direction you are comming from. Quinault has limited grocery supplies. From Quinault you can also visit Ruby Beach about 30 minutes North. It is also a beautiful beach. There are some great spots on the Eastside of the Park, but i would concentrate on the North and Westside of the Park.There are not a lot of cabins in the Olympics . Keep in mind if you are comming in Summer, $100 is a little low for cabins and most of everything else. There are some nice spots around Clallam Bay on the water. It is a little isolated, but good acess to the northern beaches. Ozzette is a good hike. Also check out the cabins at Bear Creek in Sappho. I have not seen them, but they look quite nice.

I would include a hike to Solduc Falls. You can not get to glaciers as a dayhike. My wife's personal favorite place in the world is Glaciermeadows at the foot of Mt. Olympus. Other than the summit of that peak, it is arguably the most beautiful spot in the Park, but it requires an overnite, which is true of most of the best places in the Olympics. For wildlife the best time to see anything is at dawn and dusk. The rainforests camouflages animals pretty well, but at these times of day you may see elk along the rivers and grazing in maple glades. I saw a big black bear last year (the photo taken with a video camera is on TA) along the south Shore Road at Quinault. Seeing bear take a lot of luck. I have seen many, but mostly in the backcountry. Marmots you can hear whistle and see above Hurricane Ridge, Deer Park and the Obstruction Pt. Rd.Both these roadsare very dusty in Summer and you have to be careful of others driving to fast in the other direction. Not for everyone. Mountain goats, which are not native to the Olympics can be seen around Klahlane Ridge in the Hurricane Ridge area.

Hollywood, FL
Level Contributor
32 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 11 Nights ONP Itinerary Advice

Awh yes....

Approx. July 13-24, 2012. Pais

Hollywood, FL
Level Contributor
32 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 11 Nights ONP Itinerary Advice

Update: Your advise. Fly in SeaTac 7/11, stay by airport, rent car early 7/12 drive to Port Angeles.

3 nights, 12, 13, 14, Port Angeles. Hike around Hurricane Ridge and/or Deer Park area.

2 nights, 15, 16th, either: 3 Rivers or Jim's Cabin's. Your advise?

2 nights, 17, 18th, B. Bungalow.

3 nights, 19, 20, 21, Lake Quinault Cabins.

7/22 drive s. of mountains to SEA/Tac hotel.

So much to see and do.

Question....should I reverse the last two accom. and stay 3 nights in BBungalo and 2 nights at Lake Quinault.

Both Hoh and Quinault call my name. Thank you in advance.

Paisley

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,829 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 11 Nights ONP Itinerary Advice

I no nothing about Jim's Cabin. Some of these areas near the coast have been heavly logged, so be prepared. The area outside of te Park is not pretty. I do not think I would want to stay at Three Rivers. It is in the trees, but a lot of people pass thru for food, sundries and gas. Not sure about the state of the cabins. Because of the amount of time you are staying, I am assuming you are trying to stay within a budget. You may want to consider staying at the Bungalow the whole time and not move around. It is a bit of a drive to the coast, but not that far! I would choose Obsstuction Pt. over Deer Park. Deer park is further away fro Hurricane Ridge and a bit of a climb driving. Obstuction Point is easier to get to. Just take your time and drive deffensively. If it were in your budget and you could get a room, I would consider 1 night in Port Angeles and 2 at Lake Crescent Lodge. Staying at Lake Crescent and Lake Quinault would give you some time to just kickback a little. With that much time in the Park it seems a shame tha you are not stayin right on the Ocean. Unfortunately there are not a lot of options. One is the Quileute Oceanside Resrort which is on the reservation and the other is Kalaloch, which is kind of expensive being in the Park.

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 11 Nights ONP Itinerary Advice

Lots of text above, might have missed it, but did not see mention of the Makah Museum:

http://www.makah.com/mcrchome.html

Per your comment: "Indian culture (best place, interaction, possible or staying near village),"

Edited: 11 April 2012, 17:22
Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 11 Nights ONP Itinerary Advice

glaciermeadows, your comment " My wife's personal favorite place in the world is Glaciermeadows " Too good, must be true. LOL

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,829 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 11 Nights ONP Itinerary Advice

Voyaging it is one very special place! My favorite place name was already taken!

Hollywood, FL
Level Contributor
32 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 11 Nights ONP Itinerary Advice

Hi All,

I love reading the back and forth. Is Voyaging a place......in our head........?

So Glaciermeadows......does that mean your wife's favorite place is in your arms :-). Perfect.

Thank you V for the Makah info. I will research further.

I will steer toward Obst. over Deer Park. Good.

Budget is a situation with staying at Lake Crescent Lodge. When I said 3 nights at PA, we were looking at a little Cottage, 111. a night 20 west of PA, Eden Valley. This would get us closer to the lake area. I will look again on VRBO. Really like the idea of some kind of kitchenette, for a.m. coffee and easy meals, picnicing during the days.

Okay. Thank you for the advice on maybe staying at the b.bungalow but I am going to research further on Quileute Oceanside Resort. The A-frame camper cabins there, if I remember correctly, were really cool and fit our budget. Maybe I can shift things a little.

Kevin has a question. How is the GPS and/or phone reception in the area?

So excited!!!! Thank you so much for your time. Paisley

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,829 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 11 Nights ONP Itinerary Advice

Do not of course know the Eden Road place, but it actually looks pretty nice for exploring the Sol Duc, Lake Crescent and Hurricane Ridge (unless you need more in town activities). The old cabins at LaPush were pretty bad,I think those were torn down. It looks like these are newer. Eating may be a problem. The burgers and malts at Three Rivers are pretty good. I have always mostly camped out in the backcountry in the Park. I love the fact that you are not that particular about your accommadations near a wilderness area. I find it refreshing on TA! I try and never use my phone when over there unless my wife is not with me. She worries about me teasing cougars! You will not need GPS and I do not have it. The couple of times I have used a phone it worked in most places. I had trouble reaching her when camping near Ruby Beach. Please let me know your thoughts on the places you stay!

Edited: 12 April 2012, 18:38