We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Downhill Bike Tour

Atlanta
Level Contributor
38 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Downhill Bike Tour

Has anyone taken one of the downhill bike tours out of Estes Park? There appear to be two routes - Trail Ridge Road and Fall River Road. Both starting at Alpine Vistors Center. It sounds great but wondering about car traffic. Tours start early, but I am still wondering if this is safe? No reviews online that I can find.

Nederland, Colorado
Level Contributor
9,589 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Downhill Bike Tour

What bike tours? Do you have the name of one of the companies?

I wasn't aware that anything like that was offered. Old Fall River Road is one way UPHILL. I can't believe that they would allow bikes to go downhill against traffic on a gravel road, no less. Doesn't make any sense. Too dangerous.

Edited: 29 May 2011, 19:21
rky
Estes Park, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Rocky Mountain National Park, Estes Park
Level Contributor
619 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Downhill Bike Tour

Babalax, it is run by Colorado Bicycling Adventures.

Southerngrub - I have never done the tour but guests at various lodging businesses where I have worked over the years have all been very positive about the experience. While there will most certainly be road traffic, I have not heard of any accidents involving cyclists from this tour or otherwise.

I can only guess the Old Fall River Road tour happens in that span of time when the road first gets plowed of snow but before the road opens to vehicles. Maybe it is available other times, too, but as Babalax mentions, that would be an odd setup with that road being one way uphill. I have never noticed bikes heading downhill other than when the road is closed to vehicles.

rky
Estes Park, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Rocky Mountain National Park, Estes Park
Level Contributor
619 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Downhill Bike Tour

ok . . . just read the site a little closer . . .

"Only offered through the month of June and days are limited due to road work."

Nederland, Colorado
Level Contributor
9,589 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Downhill Bike Tour

You had my curiosity piqued so I did a little research and found one company that advertises the tours: New Venture Cycling.

The Old Fall River ride can only be done before the road opens to cars in July. After that you can only ride up.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
38 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Downhill Bike Tour

Thanks for your replies! I did a little more research too. Looking at a company call Colorado Rush. It looks like they try and start the trip early enough to avoid traffic. I guess there is not a lot of down hill traffic in the morning! We'll will give it a try!

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
20,698 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Downhill Bike Tour

Trail Ridge Road is a busy road...full of tourists not used to driving in the mountains, with vehicles not their own and RV's with width issues. Are you an experienced bike rider? There is no way I would do a downhill bike ride down Trail Ridge Road and I've spent many years riding bikes in Colorado. Keep in mind that the brakes on the bike are 1/2" or less of rubber!

Ohio
Level Contributor
335 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Downhill Bike Tour

We did a bike tour out of Colorado Springs about 10 years ago and I highly recommended it! You can bike down Pikes Peak or they also have a route that takes you down an abandoned railroad bed. There are no cars and you go through a couple of tunnels. At the time we went, it was pretty much self guided. They advertise "if you can ride a bike, you can do this" - but I did find that you had to be cautious because there was a lot of sand in the path that could suddenly stall your bike. We took some snacks and stopped a couple of times along the way to enjoy the view and eat a little. It was very enjoyable and not strenuous at all. The only problem was the sand.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
38 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Downhill Bike Tour

Well, I guess we will take your advice. Several people have said heck no to this one. Thanks for your help!

Wichita, Kansas
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Downhill Bike Tour

New Venture also offers a 2.5 hour downhill ride from Estes Park to Drake with a stop for "World Famous" cinnamin rolls. It is not on the Trail Ridge, wich I gotta say I was also leary about; but instead on Hwy 43. Our family is considering this as a better first time mountain ride since we can bail if we think we need to.

So, CasaAzul, what's your take on this road? Still the same problem?

Edited: 23 June 2011, 15:31
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Downhill Bike Tour

Oh My! I am about to go up to Estes Park again and do the downhill Trail Ridge Road bike ride for the 4th time. It is wonderful. I was soooo nervous the first time, but now I love it. You ride behind a guide, you never get out of control. Don't let the unexpected - frighten you. It is so worth it. My 65 mother and dad went last year!!!!