We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 nights in Sequoia National Park with 2 toddlers

Maryland
Level Contributor
264 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
2 nights in Sequoia National Park with 2 toddlers

I'll be spending two nights in Sequoia National Park in a few weeks (end of October) with my husband, 3 year old, and 1 year old. I've seen a little bit about things to do with kids, but does anyone have any recommendations for really little ones? We'll be staying at the Montecito Sequoia Lodge. Thanks in advance!

4 replies to this topic
San Lorenzo...
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 nights in Sequoia National Park with 2 toddlers

I presume you can hike with the kids, either alongside Mom and Dad or on the back. Sequoia has lots of easy trails, and your children should have no trouble negotiating many of them with your help.

Grant Grove, the Giant Forest Big Trees trail at Round Meadow, and with some time and help the General Sherman tree, should not be too hard.

My own experience with little kids is to find moments of downtime with them when everyone can relax. Outdoors find some puddles or gentle streams to play in (watch for strong river currents, though - rivers can be cold and dangerous.)

Look at the little things - cones, needles, leaves (some could be colorful), and stones. This is what little ones focus on mostly. Look for squirrels, deer, bears and so forth. Stellar's jays, ravens and big woodpeckers might be quite visible too.

If you can take the Crescent Meadow walking loop, subject to access, there are both large hollow trees and a cabin built in a sequoia log that they might like.

Sequoia is a place for outdoor appreciation. Get your children started early, and they will thank you for it their entire lives :-)

Maryland
Level Contributor
264 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 nights in Sequoia National Park with 2 toddlers

Thank you for the reply! Are any of these trails (or others) paved and/or stroller friendly, or should we plan to have the kids walk or be carried/worn the whole time?

When you say we should do the crescent meadow loop "subject to access," what do that mean exactly? Would it be closed for weather reasons?

Fresno, California
Level Contributor
1,675 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 nights in Sequoia National Park with 2 toddlers

Many of the shorter trails are paved for accessibility for both wheelchairs and strollers. A few paved trails include the General Sherman Tree Trail, Big Trees Trail, and the Grant Tree Trail (Grant has a couple of slightly steeper spots but should be doable).

Montecito Sequoia should also have a few activities maybe to do in the evening. MS has a Kids Program designed more for the over 5 age group. But you should find things like arts and crafts supplies available in the lodge or maybe age appropriate activities/events on the daily schedule. Some of the MS fall activities at this link.

http://www.mslodge.com/fall

Maryland
Level Contributor
264 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 nights in Sequoia National Park with 2 toddlers

I wanted to follow up on this since I just left the park today in case it's helpful to others. We had a great time and the park was beautiful.

We tried to take the stroller to the General Sherman trail, but even though the path was paved, there were steps, so we took the stroller back to the car and wore the kids on our backs. There's a handicapped only parking area that gives stairfree access though but it seemed very strict that only handicapped could park there.

We wanted to take a walk with the kids in the stroller so they could nap, so we went to Crescent Meadow. However, the info posted there wasn't clear about if the path was fully paved or not, so we decided my husband would drop me and the kids at the General Sherman handicapped lot so we could do the Congress Trail instead, since everything I'd read had said the trail was stroller accessible. However, the information posted said that the Congress Trail was only partially paved and not wheelchair accessible so we had to scrap that plan because we needed the kiddos to sleep!

We also went to Moro Rock, which was doable with the kids in the Ergos again. It was a bit harder to walk the 400 steps with kids on our backs, but the views were worth it! I was very happy to see the steps, which I was not expecting -- much better than trying to climb the rock itself with 25 lbs strapped to my back!

Kids also enjoyed playing amongst the trees at the Packer Group, seeing the cars drive through Tunnel Log, and going inside the fallen tree at the Grant Grove.

I think that's it!

Reply to: 2 nights in Sequoia National Park with 2 toddlers
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Sequoia and Kings...