We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crazy 1.5 Day Adventure

El Segundo
Level Contributor
29 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Crazy 1.5 Day Adventure

I realize this looks crazy to most, but generally my itineraries look like this (and yes, there is usually a lot of hiking/jogging to get to locations)! That being said, if any of this looks impossible (traveling on Oct 24), or if I need to omit one stop to spend time at another, some input would be appreciated.

6:30 AM Depart Guest House

7:30 AM Arrive Badger Mountain House Breakfast

8:30 AM Depart Breakfast

9:15 AM Arrive Kings Canyon Visitor Center

9:45 AM Depart Visitor Center

9:55 AM Arrive Grant Grove - .3 Mile Loop

10:30 AM Depart

11:30 AM Arrive Congress Trail - 2.2 Miles (or 3 from Sherman Tree Parking lot)

12:15 PM Depart

12:30 PM Arrive Giant Forest Museum

1:00 PM Depart

1:00 - 1:30 PM LUNCH BREAK

1:35 PM Arrive Giant Forest - 7 Mile Loop (3 hrs)

5:00 PM Depart

5:10 PM Arrive Crescent Meadow Trail to Tharps Log - 1.8 Miles

6:00 PM Depart

7:00 PM Arrive Three Rivers

Day 2 was thinking possibly driving to Hume Lake (from Three Rivers) and Cedar Grove - but appears like a lot of driving (and also driving to Los Angeles at the end of the day).

Thanks in advance :)

5 replies to this topic
Fullerton...
Level Contributor
3 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Crazy 1.5 Day Adventure

Doesn't look impossible. A bit tight, yes. This part might be particularly troublesome as far as timing:

11:30 AM Arrive Congress Trail - 2.2 Miles (or 3 from Sherman Tree Parking lot)

Also, you might end up spending more time at Crescent Meadow - its quite good for animal watching and you will be there at the right time.

Also, have you considered swapping one of the sequoia trails (don't get me wrong - they are majestic, but they are not the only things in the park) for Moro Rock? Or for a tour of Crystal Cave? Perhaps, you may consider those for the morning of your second day?

El Segundo
Level Contributor
29 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Crazy 1.5 Day Adventure

Thank you for your input, i may drop one stop, just not sure which. And yes on moro rock and crystal cave, but I read crystal cave was closed, is this not accurate?

Now trying to figure out which activities are best to be pushed to Wednesday. Sadly lake Hume is out for this trip :(

Fresno, California
Level Contributor
1,672 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Crazy 1.5 Day Adventure

Crystal Cave is closed for the season. The cave is open seasonally from mid- to late- May until late September/early October.

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
18,644 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Crazy 1.5 Day Adventure

I'm going to say this as honestly as I can: No one likes your kind of national parks travel. You make the rest of us nuts in the worst way. Hit and run tourists in the national parks are an annoying disgrace. I met plenty of you last week, you are ruining the experiences of people who go to the mountains to get away from frantic people in the city. You run past elderly, nearly knocking them down. You drive too close to others who are trying to absorb the scenery in a pleasant way. You honk your nasty horns, which echo throughout the canyons, ruining our picnics.

I met you last week. I'd rather not do so again. Slow down. These parks are meant to be a relaxing experience.

Paso Robles Wine...
Level Contributor
961 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Crazy 1.5 Day Adventure

Wow, thank you for saying that Plumerla!

Reply to: Crazy 1.5 Day Adventure
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Sequoia and Kings...