We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Very short stay-

Passaic, New Jersey
3 posts
Save Topic
Very short stay-

Due to arranging work vacations, etc, I am looking well in advance for the following. Plan is to surprise my East Coast husband with a (very) short visit to (never yet seen) Yosemite or Kings Canyon or Sequoia. Flying into Fresno very first week of May, 2018 at about noon from NY area, renting car at airport. We will basically have ONLY 1 DAY plus a few hours (arrive monday noonish , depart Wednesday also midday) for him to get a view and feel of the beauty in the area. The rest is for travelling home. I'm most familiar with the Yosemite Valley or anyway from 35 yrs ago!! but I believe King's Canyon is closest- We're not for roughing it too much, Show him the redwoods, hike around a bit; (easy hike). Anyone have suggestions on which park, where to stay (basic motel as long as clean, etc-) , what sites to see in that very abbreviated visit? thanks :)

4 replies to this topic
Long Beach...
Level Contributor
7,392 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Very short stay-

You posted in the SEKI forum-- but with only 2 nights I would stay in Yosemite Valley-- just so impressive and the waterfalls should be nice.

Or stay 2 nights in Grant Grove, Kings Canyon, day trip to Sequoia? John Muir Lodge is less expensive than Wuksachi, but it is still nice.

Passaic, New Jersey
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Very short stay-

Thank you.. appreciate suggestions...I am just trying to figure driving time into the equation. 2 1/2 hour drive into Yosemite valley. Wednesday drive back to Fresno for 12pm latest flight If it's worth the xtra driving time (K Canyon only 1 1/4 hr) maybe I should. Anyone?

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
20,869 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Very short stay-

Hmmm, I think by virtue of being a valley, it's easier to 'see' Yosemite than Sequoia. At Sequoia, the sights are specific trees, trees that are literally in a forest, surrounded by trees. While Kings Canyon is different, I think there's more variety of scenery and experiences in Yosemite. In Yosemite Valley, you can stop at a viewpoint and see waterfalls, granite cliffs, meadows and maybe wildlife all at once.

Passaic, New Jersey
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Very short stay-

Thanks for insight- appreciate much :)

Reply to: Very short stay-
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Sequoia and Kings...