We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking, lodging and driving last of April.

Rehoboth Beach...
Level Contributor
103 posts
8 reviews
Hiking, lodging and driving last of April.

We will be coming from Yosemite Valley April 30th for one night. Will have all day May 1 before heading to Fresno. Would like some hikes and lodging suggestions as well as lodging.

7 replies to this topic
Lapeer, Michigan
Level Contributor
283 posts
2 reviews
1. Re: Hiking, lodging and driving last of April.

For lodging, definitely stay inside the park if you can still find availability. As for hiking, it really depends on your interests & style, but with only one day, you're pretty limited - General Sherman Tree/Congress trail to Moro Rock & the area around Crescent Meadow is always a good option.

So Cal
Level Contributor
12,035 posts
75 reviews
2. Re: Hiking, lodging and driving last of April.

Your options inside the park are either Grant Grove Cabins or John Muir Lodge (also in Grant Grove), or Wuksachi Lodge near the Lodgepole/Giant Forest area. There's more to do in the latter area, but it's about an hour further to drive. At this point, it might come down to which place has availability. http://www.visitsequoia.com/Stay.aspx

I always forget: there's also the Stony Creek Lodge on the Generals Highway between those two areas (technically in the national forest, not one of the national parks). sequoia-kingscanyon.com/stonycreeklodge.html The Montecito Sequoia Lodge on that same highway is a family camp, but also offers regular lodging. https://www.mslodge.com/lodging Both of those would be less convenient than the park lodges but more convenient than gateway towns.

With only one night, I wouldn't stay outside the park unless absolutely nothing was available inside it.

Marseille, France
Level Contributor
8 posts
53 reviews
3. Re: Hiking, lodging and driving last of April.

Hi,

I'd like to chime in, as I'm planning the same trip in the same dates as the OP.

I was also planning to see Moro Rock / Crescent Meadow as @Terry_Fazz was suggesting, but I'm seeing in this page https:/…road-conditions.htm that this road is usually closed until late May. So we might not be able to get there, right ?

As for the lodging between Yosemite and SEKI, I choose to stay at at Fresno (still cancellable), because I'd like to maximize my time at Yosemite, so I'll probably be arriving late at night (mostly because there is "perhaps" a chance that Glacier Road is opened at that date this year, for a sunset at Glacier Point....). I thought that it would be better to drive 198 early in the morning rather than at dusk ?

Thanks

Carmel, California
Level Contributor
4,773 posts
11 reviews
4. Re: Hiking, lodging and driving last of April.

Sebastien,

You can walk the road to Moro Rock/Crescent Meadow if it's not open to vehicular traffic but it's possible the road will open earlier than late May. Do you only have one night?

Marseille, France
Level Contributor
8 posts
53 reviews
5. Re: Hiking, lodging and driving last of April.

Yes, as the OP I only have one night. I'll be with kids (6 & 10), so walking to Crescent Meadows will be a bit too long I'm afraid. We'll check the road conditions then. For sure I want to walk around the Giant Forest, as well as the Big Trees Trail, so in any case we'll see beautiful places and meadows, and that might be enough walk for the kids :)

thanks for the reply !

Rehoboth Beach...
Level Contributor
103 posts
8 reviews
6. Re: Hiking, lodging and driving last of April.

Thanks!

Rehoboth Beach...
Level Contributor
103 posts
8 reviews
7. Re: Hiking, lodging and driving last of April.

We’re also hoping to see Giant Forest. If both John Muir lodge and Wasachi are open does anybody recommend one over the other? We are concerned about possibility of needing tire chains.

Reply to: Hiking, lodging and driving last of April.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Sequoia and Kings...