We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

When does Highway 198 through Sequoia National Park close

4 posts
Save Topic
When does Highway 198 through Sequoia National Park close

Hi,

I'm planning a trip that includes driving along Highway 198 from the Fresno direction to Three Rivers. The plan is to be driving this road early October (10th ish) and I have been trying to find at what time of year it usually closes.

All the posts I've read point to that the road will be open and there should be no snow but I can't find the general date that it closes which would be nice so I can guage the weather conditions.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Mentioned in this post
Fresno
Fresno
California
6 replies to this topic
San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
19,063 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: When does Highway 198 through Sequoia National Park close

Does Highway 198 close seasonally? It's open right now www.dot.ca.gov/hq/roadinfo/display.php… , so I think it only closes for temporary weather conditions rather than from X to Y dates. This park info mentions which roads are closed seasonally within the park: https:/…road-conditions.htm

Here's their information on current conditions, which includes a heavy snowfall last weekend and no mention of Hwy. 198 being closed for the season: https:/…road-conditions.htm

The road itself, even if open, is not one that I would drive again in bad weather, but October should be fine.

4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: When does Highway 198 through Sequoia National Park close

Thanks for the info. While planning my route in Google maps it won't let me plan that road as it says it's closed until March 31st. Sounds like that info is wrong then.

4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: When does Highway 198 through Sequoia National Park close

Thanks for the info. While planning my route in Google maps it won't let me plan that road as it says it's closed until March 31st. Sounds like that info is wrong then.

That would also explain why I can't find any info too 🙂

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
19,063 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: When does Highway 198 through Sequoia National Park close

Google Maps usually has accurate information. Exactly what route are you planning - from where to where? A piece of the road may not be open, while the road into the park from Three Rivers is. (If you look at the roads that are closed in the links, one of them might include a part of 198, I suppose.)

But if you're looking to plan for October on a road that's currently closed, change the date of departure in Google Maps to your planned date, and you'll see what should/shouldn't be open. I'm not aware of any seasonal closures that are as early as October.

And what info are you looking for... general information should be available regardless of the current status of the road.

Edited: 06 March 2018, 04:06
San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
19,063 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: When does Highway 198 through Sequoia National Park close

I just figured out why Google Maps is doing this. The message I'm seeing is "May be closed at certain times or on certain days", which is because they're not plowing the road this winter, so if there's snow, the road will be closed.

From the park page I linked earlier:

Generals Highway from Lodgepole to Grant Grove

"This connects Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks. In 2018, no plowing is scheduled along this highway between January 2 and March, and the highway will close in snowy conditions. The closure is from just north of Wuksachi Lodge to a gate near the junction of the Generals Highway and Highway 180 (near Grant Grove)."

"Otherwise, the Generals Highway is generally open unless impassable due to weather. For current road conditions, call (559) 565-3341."

So that situation won't apply in October, as it would be very unusual for a snowstorm to hit that early in the season. We're usually luck if there's snow by the end of November.

Mentioned in this post
Lodgepole Campground
Lodgepole Campground
180 Reviews
Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park, CA
Grant Grove
Grant Grove
262 Reviews
Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks
Sequoia and Kings Canyon...
758 Reviews
Three Rivers, CA
Wuksachi Lodge
Wuksachi Lodge
2,487 Reviews
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: When does Highway 198 through Sequoia National Park close

The whole route of 198 from the Fresno direction to Three Rivers. Thanks for the Google maps tip though.

Mentioned in this post
Fresno
Fresno
California
Reply to: When does Highway 198 through Sequoia National Park close
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted