We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 days itinerary in Seki with a toddler

Italy
Level Contributor
131 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
2 days itinerary in Seki with a toddler

Hi all,

we are going to visit Sequoia and Kings Canyon NP in a month (late May 2011), for two days.

As per subject, we are two adults and a toddler of 23 months.

On day one we will drive from Santa Monica to Wuksachi, so I guess we have just half a day actually.

On day two we have all day, spending the night again in Wuksachi.

On day three, we have to arrive at Mariposa, where we are going to spend the next three nights in Yosemite.

Could you please suggest an itinerary or a list of sights not be missed?

We will have a stroller with us, good for those paved trails (not so many I guess), but for other hiking opportunities we are quite limited with a toddler, unless baby carrier (backpack type) are available at National Parks...

Thanks in advance for any suggestion,

cheers.

Moro Rock
Geologic Formations, Hiking Trails
General Sherman Tree
Historic Sites, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Kings Canyon
Canyons, National Parks
San Diego...
Level Contributor
10,584 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 days itinerary in Seki with a toddler

You don't have a whole lot of time so I would stick with some of the easiest things to get to; for example Congress Loop, Crescent Meadow trail, Big Trees trail, Grant Grove. The Big Trees Trail is handicap accessible so it would be a good choice for a stroller. The Crescent Meadow trail, Beetle Rock trail, and trail to Tharp's Log are paved so would also be good choices for a stroller. In Kings Canyon NP, the Grant Grove has a paved trail and it is a beautiful place, though it can get quite crowded and noisy. In that grove there is a fallen tree that is hollow and you can walk through the log from one end to the other; kids love that. I don't know how your toddler would feel about exploring a cave, but the Crystal Cave is in Sequoia NP although it requires an extra fee to visit. To go up Moro Rock in Sequoia NP requires ascending 400 steps so I don't see how that will be possible with a stroller. I don't know if you will have enough time to drive down into Kings Canyon itself (or even if the road to it will be fully open). You might consider driving down it partway just to Hume Lake and back. When you leave Kings Canyon NP on Highway 180, there is a small but good big cat sanctuary just a few miles outside of the park. You can take a 1-hour tour with a docent, and the path you will be on is dirt, but I think a stroller may be OK. If you're interested see http://cathaven.com

KCNP, California
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 days itinerary in Seki with a toddler

Hi, I've been taking my twins to SEKI since they were 2 yrs. old. We always use to make a visit to Hume lake with them. There is a quiet little beach on the north side of the lake (follow the signs to Hume Lake from Hwy 180, driving East from Grant Grove) that is run by the National Forest Service. There are lots of trees for shade and a grassy knoll that we like to picnic on, and the water is quite shallow in this area. Another fun thing to do is to follow the signs to Hume Lake Christian Camp. They rent boats (row boats, small sail boats, kayaks) and bikes to the general public very inexpensively. They also run a snack shop (with awesome Milk Shakes and burgers), a general store and a gas station. Additionally, Hume Lake has one of the most beautiful views in the parks. We also like to drive towards Cedar Grove in Kings Canyon with our kids and stop by Grizzly Falls, it is a very short walk from the parking lot to the falls, and there is a nice natural wading pool a bit removed from the base of the falls that you and your toddler can play in during the summer months (my kids used to love finding "fool's gold" in these pools). Don't climb on the rocks at the base of the falls as they are extremely slippery and dangerous. There is also a kid's interactive museum at Beetlerock Educational Center in the Giant Forest Area (near the Giant Forest Museum). Your child may be a little young, but I recommend that you at least stop by and see if there are some age-appropriate activities for your little one (or you)! It's fun for both kids and adults. Enjoy your trip!

3. Re: 2 days itinerary in Seki with a toddler

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2012, 20:20
Get answers to your questions about Sequoia and Kings...