We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are reservations necessary in late April?

Level Contributor
238 posts
164 reviews
Are reservations necessary in late April?

Would it be too risky to drive the coast without reservations? We land in Portland at 10am July 28 and will probably make reservations for that night in Lincoln City. After that I just don't know how far we will want to go each day. Looks like there are lots of reasonably priced choices but I don't want to end up without a bed. Going to California eventually.

21 replies to this topic
Florence, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,550 posts
309 reviews
1. Re: Are reservations necessary in late April?

A Saturday night on the coast in July. Yeah, you'd better have that night secured.

Camp Sherman, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,858 posts
2. Re: Are reservations necessary in late April?

I'm looking at your posts to see when you are coming. April 28, a Saturday, in LC, I would make a reservation. Later on in the week, perhaps not. But July, as Eddie says, yes.

Level Contributor
39,535 posts
1,021 reviews
3. Re: Are reservations necessary in late April?

Yes, make reservations for July. 😎

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,595 posts
3 reviews
4. Re: Are reservations necessary in late April?

Just checked another of your threads. If you’re landing at PDX at 10:00am and planning to spend that night in Lincoln City, I suggest you do any wine tasting enroute and skip the north Oregon coast.

Level Contributor
238 posts
164 reviews
5. Re: Are reservations necessary in late April?

We thought about that but wasn’t sure what time they open. Thanks.

Portland, Oregon
10 posts
6. Re: Are reservations necessary in late April?

Sorry - I'm confused. You mentioned both April and July. It would be smart to make reservations for both times, as with April you can hit spring break where lodging is a little bit tighter. I would definitely make reservations for July. However, you can usually find some sort accommodations, but the choice is more limited.

Bellingham...
Level Contributor
4,319 posts
1 review
7. Re: Are reservations necessary in late April?

If it’s a weekend, I think you need reservations even in late April. Unless you are very flexible in terms of price.

Beaverton, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Cannon Beach
Level Contributor
6,293 posts
84 reviews
8. Re: Are reservations necessary in late April?

in july most places on the coast will require at least a 2 nite minimum

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
44,647 posts
1,112 reviews
9. Re: Are reservations necessary in late April?

Okay, Texan, are you visiting in July or April?

Next question -- what kind of lodging do you prefer?

I've lived on the Oregon coast for many years.

If you want more deluxe, oceanfront accommodations, then in July you *must* make reservations. In April, you probably do not need to except for the north/central coast. The southern coast is much less busy.

However -- if you like smaller, older, "mom-and-pop" type motels then in April you will not have any trouble finding a room. In July, there is more of a risk but those fill up last so you may still be okay if you stop early-ish in the day. These motels will not be oceanfront and may not have ocean views.

Cannon Beach is the ONLY town that has an overall 2 night minimum in high season. I notice that the motel in Manzanita now also seems to have a two night minimum in summer... it's always been a less pricey alternative to Cannon Beach.

Some B&Bs have a 2 night minimum.

Other than on Holidays such as July 4th, Labor Day, Memorial Day etc, you will find that there are *very few* towns where the lodging has minimum stay requirements!

Edited: 25 January 2018, 17:52
Level Contributor
238 posts
164 reviews
10. Re: Are reservations necessary in late April?

I apologize for the confusion. We arrive Porland on a Saturday morning in April. Booked 2 nights in Depoe Bay. 2 nights to spend in either southern Oregon or Crescent City, CA, not necessarily in the same place. The next 3 nights are booked in Yosemite/Sequoia so al we have is 2 nights that aren't booked. We prefer small independently owned properties and if we stay in a chain it is usually a Best Western. From everyone's responses it sounds like we will be ok without a reservation especially since it will be during the week. Thanks so much for the help.

Reply to: Are reservations necessary in late April?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Oregon Coast