We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best not-to-be-missed treats/snacks along the coast

Newburyport, MA
Level Contributor
243 posts
1 review
Best not-to-be-missed treats/snacks along the coast

Are there any not-to-be missed treats to eat along the coast? For example, a bakery with the best cinnamon rolls or cookies, or a unique doughnut shop, or a great taco truck or ???? We'll probably have our main meal near our hotels in the evening, but it's always fun to stop for a delicious snack or light lunch when we're out exploring during the day. I should probably mention that we aren't big on seafood, unfortunately.

25 replies to this topic
Florence, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,421 posts
300 reviews
1. Re: Best not-to-be-missed treats/snacks along the coast

Yeah, in Rockaway Beach at Old Oregon Smokehouse are some smoked oysters that are out of this world.

In Florence is the best clam chowder that I have ever had at Beachcomber Tavern.

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
9,934 posts
200 reviews
2. Re: Best not-to-be-missed treats/snacks along the coast

It would help to know where along the coast you'll be. Lots of great brewpub everywhere with interesting and innovative bar food. Pelican Pub at Cape Kiwanda has the best location, right on the beach. If you're in Port Orford, check out the elk stew at Red Fish. BJ's has two ice cream parlors in Florence, one in Old Town and the other right on 101.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,506 posts
3 reviews
3. Re: Best not-to-be-missed treats/snacks along the coast

Otis Cafe...wonderful baked goods, including dinner plate sized cinnimon rolls, and breads. If there’s a table availabe, great for a meal too.

Edited: 04 February 2018, 15:19
Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
44,473 posts
1,111 reviews
4. Re: Best not-to-be-missed treats/snacks along the coast

Assuming you'll be traveling the entire coast, some of my favourites are:

Sugar Shack Bakery -- Reedsport (not Coos Bay)

A Taste of Hawaii food truck -- Florence

Chubby's food truck -- Waldport

Green Salmon pastries - Yachats

Java Depot deli -- Lincoln City (north end)

I know you said you're not much for seafood, but if you like fish-n-chips:

Bowpicker - walk up outside fresh deep fried tuna & chips -- Astoria

If you can catch one of the farmer's markets, some have great food! Newport has Sachiko's Japanese food and also Volta for the best cookies in the world (or very close to it, lol!)

Renton, WA
Level Contributor
5,120 posts
5. Re: Best not-to-be-missed treats/snacks along the coast

We like the Bandon bakery for coffee and pastry, and the Bandon Fish Market (really a fried seafood place) on the waterfront. Farther south we like the Indian Creek Cafe at the north end of Gold Beach (turn east at the flashing amber light). It is real down-home cooking, though, not snacks.

Newburyport, MA
Level Contributor
243 posts
1 review
6. Re: Best not-to-be-missed treats/snacks along the coast

We’ll be traveling the coast from the Washington border to California. Thank you for all the ideas. Keep ‘em coming!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,506 posts
3 reviews
7. Re: Best not-to-be-missed treats/snacks along the coast

Face Rock Creamery in Bandon is another good stop, both for the ice cream and the cheese.

“We'll probably have our main meal near our hotels in the evening,”

Depending on which towns you’re overnighting in, you may not have many good options. Where are you staying?

1 post
8. Re: Best not-to-be-missed treats/snacks along the coast

I was just at Florence and went thru BJ's....$6.50 for a milk shake!!!???

r c
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
9,315 posts
1 review
9. Re: Best not-to-be-missed treats/snacks along the coast

Welcome,

Regarding the Bowpicker in Astoria.

You need to time it right. From what i understand they only make 1 batch. When its gone, its gone.

Ive been trying for a couple years now. I dont make it my #1 reason for going, but everytime i drive by, its sold out. You are better off going late morning if possible.

good luck.

Edited: 05 February 2018, 02:55
Newburyport, MA
Level Contributor
243 posts
1 review
10. Re: Best not-to-be-missed treats/snacks along the coast

Thank you, everyone, for the ideas!

Mgventures--We'll be renting a Harley and basing ourselves in Portland. We're going to do a north coast loop, going from Portland to Astoria, staying in Cannon Beach and looping down to Lincoln City and back to Cannon Beach for a second night, then back to Portland the following day.

Then, we'll do a 5-day loop from Portland, through Lincoln City, staying in Yachats the first night, then to Bandon overnight, down to Crescent City and back to Bandon for a second night, and then a night in Corvallis en route back to Portland.

A third trip will take us from Portland, along the gorge, and to Bend for two nights before returning to Portland.

While on vacation, we enjoy a relaxing sit-down evening meal with an adult beverage ;-) when we won't be getting back on the motorcycle! We live on the East Coast, where finding restaurants with a good selection of non-seafood options is about as difficult as it seems to be on the West Coast!

Reply to: Best not-to-be-missed treats/snacks along the coast
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted