We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 nts after July 4th. What do you think? Several questions

Harwich...
Level Contributor
70 posts
3 reviews
2 nts after July 4th. What do you think? Several questions

We are visiting family in Roseburg on the weekend after July 4th. I am thinking of driving to Bandon once we break away from the family good-byes on Sunday. Up the coast with a stop to do a dunes tour in Florence. I am thinking about a splurge on an ocean view room at the Inn at Nye Beach. The next day we drive north to Rockaway to stay at Surfside Ocean Front Resort right on the beach.

1. Will we have time to sight-see from Bandon north to Florence AND do the 1/2 hour Sandrail tour? Or should I look to stay the first night more south in Yachats or Florence?

2. Can you recommend any worthwhile, short, easier trail walks during both these sections of the coast?

3.Is Inn at Nye Beach worth the splurge? Or can you recommend a place. My tops are a comfortable bed and a quiet room. Other than that uniqueness is nice. I like the fire pits at the Inn at Nye Beach

4. I'm wondering about traffic. Goggle maps is all fine and good but how bad will the traffic be the week after July 4th? We live on Cape Cod where there are 2 bridges to get on and off. You WILL be in traffic for hours. And hour to travel 2 miles in the norm on the weekend.

7 replies to this topic
Florence, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,508 posts
302 reviews
1. Re: 2 nts after July 4th. What do you think? Several questions

The sandrail ride is just outside of Florence. You'll need reservations. I would suggest taking in Highway 138 and 38 to Reedsport and then immediately on to Florence. There are several reasons for this route omitting Bandon:

Highway 138 and 38 is the most scenic crossing from I-5 to the coast and Highway 42 is the least.

Highway 101 from Bandon to Florence is lackluster.

Bandon is a nice resort town but not worth going out of your way for.

Florence to Yachats is a must see segment of Highway 101 and I suggest that you leave plenty of time to drink it in. For several reasons Florence would make for good overnight stop. Florence has a charming Old Town area and a beautiful long sandy beach on the edge for walking on. These things along with the sandrail ride would make Florence a perfect overnight stop.

Nye Beach is a nice area to stay in. Newport is the most versatile of the towns on the Oregon coast with, among other things, the Oregon Coast Aquarium

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,543 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: 2 nts after July 4th. What do you think? Several questions

Just to offer a different perspective.....

My wife and I have lived in the Portland area for almost our entire lives, and even though Cannon Beach is only 1.5 hours away, we make (at least) annual trips to Bandon, which is over 4 hours. So we definitely think Bandon is worth going out of our way for. It has arguably the most scenic beaches on the Oregon coast, a charming downtown with some very good restaurants, and because it IS out of the way, much less of the traffic you’re concerned about. On the other hand, the only nights we’ve spent in Florence have been at a friend’s house.

I’d concede that hwy 101 between Bandon and Florence may be “lackluster” to some, but if they ever got off hwy 101 they might change their tune. Shore Acres and Sunset Bay State Parks, on the coast west of Coos Bay, are truly hidden gems. Do a couple Google Images searches and you’ll understand why.

To your specific plans, I think you are trying to cram too much into too short a time, to the point of getting lesser bang for the buck for each additional stop. So my thought would be to explore between Bandon and Shore Acres/Sunset Bay State Parks on day one, driving at least one direction along Seven Devils Rd. and visiting a couple of the remote beaches off it, then spending that night in one of the motels overlooking the beaches south of Bandon’s downtown. Then on day two, head to Florence for the dune buggy ride, afterwards continuing on to Heceta Head, Cape Perpetua, and Yachats, then into Newport. Inn at Nye Beach is a nice place, and probably works best for the second night, but you might also consider Overleaf Lodge in Yachats, depending on you plans and schedule for the next day.

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,089 posts
19 reviews
3. Re: 2 nts after July 4th. What do you think? Several questions

Yachats to Florence takes 35-45 minutes. Bandon to Florence takes 60-70 minutes. So obviously, a stay at either would give you time to take a tour of the Oregon Dunes.

I will say, Bandon cannot compare to Yachats on the beauty end of the spectrum, though it is a lovely town with more amenities.

Harwich...
Level Contributor
70 posts
3 reviews
4. Re: 2 nts after July 4th. What do you think? Several questions

Thank you for your replies. I am an over planner and am trying not to be. My goal is to find accommodations now before they sell out. Then have a list of possibles to wander around during our days. With the exception of a reservation for the dune tours also. Your replies are helping me to narrow down which town to stay in.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
44,570 posts
1,111 reviews
5. Re: 2 nts after July 4th. What do you think? Several questions

Regarding your #3 -- If you prefer quieter surroundings, I'd look seriously at Yachats instead of Newport. Inn at Nye Beach is fine and is located so that you can easily walk around Nye Beach, which has sort of a "village" feel to it within Newport. But the approx 11,000 population of Newport v. 750 population of Yachats makes a big difference.

Traffic is bad, but not as bad as you describe on Cape Cod! On the open highways you'll average between 50 and 60 or thereabouts, depending upon slower vehicles, trucks, RVs. The more popular coastal towns have congestion, but not hours and hours worth. In summer, you might wait for two cycles of traffic lights in Newport, for example. (There are about a half dozen traffic lights in town; four lanes of traffic.)

You may have noted that some of the "coastal" towns are not really on the ocean. Florence is one of those as it's tucked behind sand dunes. Ocean access is very limited.

Harwich...
Level Contributor
70 posts
3 reviews
6. Re: 2 nts after July 4th. What do you think? Several questions

Thank you for your reply half-Brit!!

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
44,570 posts
1,111 reviews