We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best towns to stay on 5-day trip - please review & advise

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
43 posts
Best towns to stay on 5-day trip - please review & advise

Hello,

My family and I are planning a trip to the Oregon coast in mid August. After arriving in Portland late at night, we’ll begin in Astoria the next day and have 4 full days for the coast before returning to Portland. At the moment, it seems like the following towns seem like good stops to spend the night on our way down.

Night 1 - Portland

Night 2 - Cannon Beach

Night 3 - Lincoln City

Night 4 - Florence

Night 5 - Bandon

(From Bandon, we’ll take 101 up to Newport and then the interstate back to Portland.)

Night 6 - Portland

Does this sound good? Thanks in advance!

10 replies to this topic
Corvallis, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,234 posts
89 reviews
1. Re: Best towns to stay on 5-day trip - please review & advise

Some quick thoughts.....

Cannon Beach lodging choices in summer normally have a 2-night minimum. You might also check in Seaside or Manzanita if you have a 1-night limit.

Lincoln City is basically one long strip-mall. Please consider Newport instead - much more to see and do.

Florence is not on the coast - it's inland a bit - just so you know.

Personally, I'd consider reorganizing to spend 2 nights in the north coast (Cannon Beach, Seaside or Manzanita) and 2 nights in Newport. That gives you time to explore each area. There's so much to see and do at the coast, and your current plan has you doing so much driving that you'll not have time to hike or walk the beach or stroll the bayfront to gawk at the sea lions, or stop at an oceanfront restaurant or brewery or hang out in Depoe Bay to experience the waves crashing on the rocks and shooting spray high up into the air and over the highway.

Florence, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,412 posts
300 reviews
2. Re: Best towns to stay on 5-day trip - please review & advise

I'd agree for the most part with Post #1.

I would point out that the segment of Highway 101 from Yachats to Florence is a must see.

I would also point out that Florence is at a very strategic point on the coast with a convenient return to Portland and is a nice place for a lunch stop or possibly last night on the coast. The unusual path of the river there causes the center of Florence to be 1/2 mile from the beach as the crow flies but over 3 miles from the beach by road and it is a terrific beach to walk. The town feels very coastal with it's fishing fleet berthed at the Old Town district.

Level Contributor
39,028 posts
1,014 reviews
3. Re: Best towns to stay on 5-day trip - please review & advise

Two nights in Cannon Beach would be nice... what is your lodging budget? 🏖

Iowa
Level Contributor
414 posts
127 reviews
4. Re: Best towns to stay on 5-day trip - please review & advise

I highly recommend Yachats. It’s right along the ocean and is a beautiful small town. We stayed at the Overleaf Lodge, which is right on the ocean. It may be my favorite hotel ever.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
44,470 posts
1,111 reviews
5. Re: Best towns to stay on 5-day trip - please review & advise

I agree with post 1... although if you prefer a very small town with little to no congestion, Yachats is a good suggestion along the central coast. There is not nearly as much "to do" there as in Newport, but Newport is an easy 30 minute drive.

Florence is not a bad town, but since it is tucked behind the sand dunes, it has no ocean views and no ocean "feel" to it. You have to drive miles to get to the beach, and the only lodging on the ocean is one motel north of town.

Bandon is a pleasant town with lovely beaches.

>>From Bandon, we’ll take 101 up to Newport and then the interstate back to Portland.<<

Well, from Newport you'd take Hwy 20 inland to I-5, then to Portland ;-)

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,500 posts
3 reviews
6. Re: Best towns to stay on 5-day trip - please review & advise

Returning to Portland from Bandon, we’ve always taken 101 to Reedsport and 38 inland to I-5. It’s the quickest, and the drive on 38 along the Umpqua is lovely.

Do check your other topic for additional thoughts on your itinerary.

Cannon Beach, Oregon
Level Contributor
100 posts
7. Re: Best towns to stay on 5-day trip - please review & advise

I also question a different city on every day. Two nights in Cannon Beach would pretty much make any other North Oregon Coast destination a day trip. You'll probably want a full day for the immediate Cannon Beach area and another day for a day trip. Newport or Yachats would be my next choice. Newport itself has at least a day's worth of nearby attractions. It could be a day trip from Yachats with another day trip south to the Cape Perpetua Scenic Area, Heceta Head Lighthouse, Florence and the Oregon Dunes.

If you're set on a driving tour and a different hotel every night, I would recommend nights in Cannon Beach, Newport, Yachats and Bandon to put you in or within a few minutes drive of some of the best scenic areas. Unless you have a specific reason and since your time is limited, I'd skip Astoria (a city with character, but a river/port town not a beach town) if you're after scenic coastal and beach destinations.

I agree the logical return trip from Bandon is OR 38 from Reedsport to I-5 and north to Portland.

Montgomery, Texas
8 posts
8. Re: Best towns to stay on 5-day trip - please review & advise

I am also researching for a vacation in July. We will be flying into Portland for a 10 day vacation. We would love to spend a few days by the coast, maybe Yachats and take the scenic drive down the coast, We primarily enjoy spending time in the national parks. We like to rent cabins in the mountain areas close to the park entrances. We also want to see Crater Lake, Columbia Gorge and the Redwoods. Any suggestions on the best location/area to stay? Also, recommendations on the best parks for scenic hiking, waterfalls, etc. would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much!

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
44,470 posts
1,111 reviews
9. Re: Best towns to stay on 5-day trip - please review & advise

Current thread from poster exploringOregon:

https:/…89724050

--

I see you are adding more areas to your plan, exploringOregon! On your thread, please post this additional information there. It won't work to stay in only two locations and see all that you mention as the distances / time required to drive are just too far apart.

Do you have a map of Oregon?

Montgomery, Texas
8 posts
10. Re: Best towns to stay on 5-day trip - please review & advise

Looks like we want to see more that out time will permit. Thank you so much for your information.

Reply to: Best towns to stay on 5-day trip - please review & advise
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted