We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oregon vacation in July 2018

Montgomery, Texas
8 posts
Oregon vacation in July 2018

Good Morning!

My husband and I are planning a trip to Oregon for 10 days in July. We will fly into Portland. We want to spend a night in Yachats and drive the coast. Then, we would like to visit the national parks. We prefer to rent a cabin (in the mountains would be awesome) with easy access to the parks. Can you please give me recommendations on the best parks in Oregon? We like to be outdoors, hike, picnic, drive and see the sites, etc. We like less populated areas. We also want to see Crater Lake, Columbia River gorge and whatever you recommend.

Thank you so much for your help?

12 replies to this topic
Florence, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,420 posts
300 reviews
1. Re: Oregon vacation in July 2018

Here is a rough outline of a possible route. The towns at this point are to illustrate the route only and may or might not be stops:

Portland to Cannon Beach

Cannon Beach to Reedsport

Reedsport to Sutherlin (near Roseburg)

Roseburg to Grants Pass

Grants Pass to Crater Lake

Crater Lake to Bend

Bend to Timberline Lodge (Mt. Hood)

Timberline to Hood River

Hood River to Portland

Note lodging at Crater Lake is very limited and books up early. This route allows for placing Crater Lake between two overnight stops, Grants Pass and Bend, should you be unable to or choose not to stay overnight at Crater Lake

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
9,933 posts
200 reviews
2. Re: Oregon vacation in July 2018

Crater Lake is the only national park in Oregon. There are also Columbia Gorge National Scenic Area and Oregon Dunes National Recreation Area. And numerous national forests. With a little planning you could also include Mt. St. Helens Natonal Monument just north of Portland in Washington and Redwood National Park in northwest California.

It's up to you to read up on these destinations, decide on which you most want to see and experience, determine how many days you have for your trip, whether you want to spend your time driving or doing, reserve lodging in most places in busy July (already too late for Crater Lake) and craft an itinerary that fits.

Oregon is a huge state and incorporating the coast and Cascades in a short trip means making sacrifices.

Except for the Seaside/Cannon Beach area in summer you won't encounter swarms of tourists. And many of the places that do draw a lot of tourists will be there for the same reasons you will want to be there.

Montgomery, Texas
8 posts
3. Re: Oregon vacation in July 2018

Wow! thank you so much for this wonderful information!. Seems like there is so much to see and not enough time. We would prefer to stay in a cabin (2 different locations for 5 days each). Can you tell me the best area to stay? In addition to taking in the sites of the beautiful coast, we would love to experience the wildlife, national parks and forests as we love to hike and take in nature.

Florence, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,420 posts
300 reviews
4. Re: Oregon vacation in July 2018

For cabins check out some off the out lying areas around Grants Pass, small places along the highways to and from Crater Lake, area around Bend and Government Camp(ski village near Timberline Lodge) and adjacent areas . You could alter you route going to Crater Lake by staying at one of the small places between Roseburg and Crater Lake rather than going to Grants Pass.

Montgomery, Texas
8 posts
5. Re: Oregon vacation in July 2018

Ok! I will check it out. How many days should we stay in the Crater Lake area? Is there allot to do? In your opinion, what are the Must-sees for people that like the great outdoors? I mean, it may be our only trip to Oregon, ya never know. Thank you so much for your awesome information.

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
9,933 posts
200 reviews
6. Re: Oregon vacation in July 2018

I would skip Crater Lake altogether. It's out of the way, lodging is difficult and you really won't be able to spend enough time there to make it all worthwhile.

A lot of cabins in Oregon will be listed as vacation rentals and the "cabin" definition can get fuzzy. Look on VRBO.com (vacation rental by owner) and check out the two areas that most interest you. For example, Mt. Hood for the mountains and Yachats for the coast. Other choices might be Bend for the east side of the Cascades or Grants Pass for the Rogue River Wilderness.

Most vacation homes/cabins have minimum day requirements and hefty security deposits. But with 10 days (hopefully not including flight arrival and departure days) you should be able to get what you want in two very different locations.

If you try to do a grand loop as has been suggested you will wind up doing more driving than enjoying. I am trying to respond to your posted desires, not promoting my personal preferences or any particular location.

Florence, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,420 posts
300 reviews
7. Re: Oregon vacation in July 2018

Crater Lake is literally on the crest of the Cascade Mountain Range. It is of course a very large dormant volcano whose cater has filled with water. When you go up there you are literally on the side and rim of this very large cone. To get there you drive for about 2 hours from a town of any size through a mountainous area of very dense forest. The rim of the lake is over 7000 feet in altitude and patches of snow can survive through the summer there in shaded areas. Up there is a small handful lodgings and not much else. The sight of the lake is spectacular and a real "bucket list" experience.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
44,474 posts
1,111 reviews
8. Re: Oregon vacation in July 2018

Hello exploringOregon, welcome to TripAdvisor. Okay, I think there is a disconnect here! You mention "National Parks" as I believe an example of areas that are pristine, no towns, etc. Is that right?

As stated above, Oregon has only one NP, Crater Lake. However..........

Oregon has lots and lots of *lovely* State Parks that are also beautiful! And, we also have lots and lots of areas that are lightly populated with gorgeous scenery.

To list all of the 'must-sees' in Oregon for folks who like the great outdoors would take pages and pages of typing. If you click on the link below, it will take you to a TripAdvisor page that is a general "Oregon" page of things to do. There are many photos you can look at to give you an idea of what you can see here.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g289…

Post 6 has some good information about finding rentals. Keep in mind that if you use one location on the coast, to see surrounding areas you will be doing a lot of back-and-forth driving north/south as there is only one road. Yachats is a lovely tiny town that has a number of vacation house rentals. You can also Google -- Yachats vacation rentals -- and that will bring up locals; there are also larger companies such as VRBO or HomeAway.com

Edited: 20 February 2018, 18:14
Montgomery, Texas
8 posts
9. Re: Oregon vacation in July 2018

I sincerely appreciate everyone's feedback. This is my first time on TripAdvisor and I am so impressed. Because of everyone's comments, I feel much more empowered about planning a vacation. I also realize we need to pick an area and explore the natural wonders it has to offer. Thanks again!

1 post
10. Re: Oregon vacation in July 2018

As a native Oregonian, i would have to recommend spending some time in the Astoria/Warrenton area. There is more than a few days worth of activities. Ft. Stevens state park is a must see. There is also Fort Clatsop, where Lewis and Clark wintered, the historic buildings around Astoria, the riverfront trolley, the maritime museum, Oregon film museum, Astor column, Flavel House, and many hiking trails along the coast and in the nearby forests. Seaside and Long Beach are also just a short drive away for even more things to do.

Reply to: Oregon vacation in July 2018
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted