We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crater Lake to the Coast

Burke, Virginia
Level Contributor
71 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Crater Lake to the Coast

Hi All! We're doing a loop around OR and I'm having a hard time determining where to stay once we reach the coast. We will be leaving Mazama Cabins on Mon, Aug 6th in the morning traveling to North Bend to rent a dune buggy at Spinreel. Is it best to head to Reedsport or Coos Bay? I know it's a good 4 hours to both. We will then be traveling north to stay in Cannon Beach. Is it realistic to make it to Florence for that night or even Yachats? We have reservations in CB for Aug 7-10. I'm thinking of staying somewhere else on the 7th to allow time to see the numerous sights up the coast. Would greatly appreciate your thoughts. Thanks!

8 replies to this topic
Hilton Head, South...
Level Contributor
326 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Crater Lake to the Coast

We recently rented and stayed for a week in Yachats. It's roughly close to half way in the coast, which made it an easy 4 hr. drive to any where we wanted to go from Cal. red woods or north to Lincoln city.

Of course depending on what we stopped to see.......... :-)

Cannon Beach, Oregon
Level Contributor
100 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Crater Lake to the Coast

It's probably more like 5 hours to Spinreel going through Coos Bay. You might save 20 minutes or so by traveling to Reedsport and then south. I would suggest staying in Florence (45 minutes from Spinreel) or Yachats (a little less than 1.5 hours). In this case, I might opt for Florence, especially if you don't care if you are staying oceanfront since most Florence lodgings are along US 101. Starting your travel day from Florence to Cannon Beach in the morning would allow you to enjoy the beautiful drive to the Yachats with stops at the Heceta Head Lighthouse and Cape Perpetua. As you continue north, I'd primarily make time for stops at the Yaquina Head Outstanding Natural Area and Devil's Punchbowl.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
44,432 posts
1,108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Crater Lake to the Coast

Florence is slightly inland, with no ocean views. There is only one lodging on the ocean, just north of town. Florence to Cannon Beach would make a very long day. Driving time alone in August is about 4+ hours, not counting any stops at all.

There is so much to see!

The towns of Reedsport and Coos Bay are not ones normally suggested for overnight stops. They are both inland a bit. Coos Bay/North Bend is the largest 'metro' area on the coast and is busy and fairly congested although there is lodging on the bay.

Burke, Virginia
Level Contributor
71 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Crater Lake to the Coast

Thank you all for your insight. We've switched things up a bit so please let me know if this is reasonable or rushed.

I've convinced my husband to have a dune buggy guide as we will have our 3 boys with us so we'll just head to Florence from Crater. We'd like to stop at Heceta Head LH and then stay in Yachats. That will position us better to explore Cape Perpetua-(Thor's Well/Devil's Churn, Hobbit's Trail) the next morning, then continue to Newport (Yaquina LH, Bayfront/Port Dock 1). We'd like to stop in Depot Bay and do a boat tour, quick stop at Devil's Punchpowl and then stay just north of Tillamook??? We'd then have 2 days at Cannon Beach to explore the north coast.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
44,432 posts
1,108 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Crater Lake to the Coast

Okay, so one night in Yachats. Then starting the next morning, you'll be seeing several things around Cape Perpetua (presumably also driving to the top). If you want to walk around at all and go to the visitors center, that should take up about 2 hours.

Then to Newport (½ hour drive), to see Yaquina Head lighthouse (there is also Yaquina *Bay* lighthouse) , and the bayfront & sea lions. Allow 1½ to 2 hours.

By Depoe Bay 'boat tour', I'm guessing you mean Carrie Newell's whale watching? I think that's another 2 hours or so. Devil's Punchbowl, ½ hour, plus about ½ hour for driving.

That's roughly 7 hours, as you will need to get some lunch somewhere :-) That does not allow for stopping anywhere else that may catch your eye, nor for any souvenir shopping.

You might think about staying in Lincoln City or Pacific City instead of trying to get north of Tillamook on that same day. Lincoln City is not too attractive, but it does have oceanfront lodging. Tillamook is slightly inland, not on the ocean.

Thor's Well. Do not go out on the wet rocks. You can see it from a safe distance and also from up above in the parking area. It *will not* look like some of the beautiful photographs you've seen on the internet. Most of those are photos taken at a slow shutter speed to look almost 'dreamy'.

The last couple of years, the local Fire Dept EMT's have been called out there far too many times for people slipping on wet sharp rocks trying to get to the "well" - and getting injured. Sometimes badly. That can really ruin a vacation :-(

Burke, Virginia
Level Contributor
71 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Crater Lake to the Coast

Thank you, half-Brit! Your breakdown was exactly what I needed. There's so much to see but we don't want to rush, leaving time to see whatever catches us. I'll look into staying in LC. Appreciate your caution about the rocks, we don't have anything like your coastline here in the midatlantic. I'm sure I'll chime back in for more help. Thanks again:)

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
44,432 posts
1,108 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Crater Lake to the Coast

You're most welcome :-)

Phoenix,AZ
Level Contributor
284 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Crater Lake to the Coast

One thing I would like to add that I learned here is to take 3 capes loop from Pacific city to Oceanside! :)

Stop and enjoy the capes and also pop into Cape Mears and visit the Octopus Tree and the small lighthouse. personally, I enjoyed the views from tiny Oceanside with their caves and rock formations than I did seeing Canon Beach.

Reply to: Crater Lake to the Coast
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Oregon Coast