We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Portland to Ashland in 2 Days

5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Portland to Ashland in 2 Days

I have two and a half days to get from the Portland area to Ashland for a play.

I’d like to hit the coast in Yachats and do several mostly-quick viewing stops to see the sea lion caves, Blacklivk Point, Cape Blanco Lighthouse, am not sure how far down to go (is Crescent City worth backtracking for?), then get on 199 through Grants Pass and see Crater Lake and maybe see a great water fall somewhere.

Is this doable?

Is there a waterfall you would recommend somewhere not far from this route?

What would be the best place to stop for the night (value and availability more important than night-life and scenery)? Is Grants Pass too far to go at the end of day 1?

16 replies to this topic
Florence, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,384 posts
295 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Portland to Ashland in 2 Days

You are definitely not going to make it to Crater Lake on the way to Ashland. I would suggest turning inland at Reedsport at Highway 38 connect to Highway 138 and then I-5. If you go any farther down the coast you might as well go all the way to Crescent City and then take Highway 199 inland to Grants Pass.

Two segments of Highway 101 that are especially beautiful along that route are Lincoln City to Florence with Yachats to Florence being a must see. Should you choose to take the longer route to Crescent City the stretch from Port Orford to the California border is very scenic. Other than being in the Redwoods Crescent City is nothing to see in itself.

There are several beautiful lighthouses along the Oregon coast. The most notable would be Haceta Head Lighthouse halfway between Yachats and Florence and is the second most photographed lighthouse in the world.

5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Portland to Ashland in 2 Days

Thanks! What would be a more comfortable reasonable stop than Grants Pass, then?

Renton, WA
Level Contributor
5,029 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Portland to Ashland in 2 Days

Do not stop at the Sea Lion Cave if you can avoid it. If you want to see sea lions close up, go down to the docks in Newport.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=dc4Scbbp9ps (Warning: turn down the volume on your speakers.)

Edited: 16 July 2018, 13:49
Florence, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,384 posts
295 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Portland to Ashland in 2 Days

Not sure that I understand the question. Grants Pass is where Highway 199 meets I-5 which is where you would be going if you were coming from Crescent City. You would also be going through Grants Pass if taking the route inland at Reedsport. All towns mentioned so far are used as landmarks at this point and are not nessessarilly stops.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
44,423 posts
1,108 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Portland to Ashland in 2 Days

I'm not sure I understand either, Holly M. Let's start at the beginning--

you have 2½ days to get to Ashland from Portland. So that's *two* nights, right?

Is your first night going to be in Yachats?

You could then go south on Hwy 101 into Crescent City for the second night. Then you would take Hwy 199 to Grants Pass then south on I-5 to Ashland. Or you could cut across the Applegate Valley which is quite pretty, but we'll leave that for the moment, until we can determine your timing.

Okay, let's take your list of places you want to see--

Waterfall - from Portland, you can visit Silver Falls State Park. Take the short easy walk to the South Falls. It's a good one and you can walk behind it.

--> Important note - There is currently a small wildfire in this area (30-ish acres). I believe it does not affect the waterfalls and the park is open. But if this trip is soon, check with the park itself.

Skip the sea lion caves unless you are really into geology. Port Dock 1 on Newport's bayfront is the place to see them. See link in post 3.

Cape Blanco lighthouse is a pretty lighthouse; check for tour hours. There are also many others, some of which are open for tours. https:/…Lighthouses.html

Blacklivk Point? Blacklock Point north of Port Orford? I'd have to ask why? There are *many* beautiful scenic points to visit along the coast.

So please post back and maybe give us a bit more solid info as it will be easier to give you suggestions :-)

5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Portland to Ashland in 2 Days

We are actually starting in West Linn. It’s about 3 hours to Yachats from there. Too close to spend the night there. We’d like to get as far as we can down the coast, seeing the best spots. I thought the kids would like going into a cave, as they never have been in one.

I had read that Blacklock Point was a gorgeous, under-rated spot (beach cliffs, waterfall, lighthouse beam). I’m open to any suggestions for better stops. These are NOT stay-stops but get out and look around and take pics stops. We do not wish to pay for tours unless there is something really great we can’t access at all without one.

We’d like to see the coastal redwoods and thought 199 from Crescent City would be most scenic.

We are spending the second night near Ashland and will see the play at 1pm after that second night. Headed straight home after.

Renton, WA
Level Contributor
5,029 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Portland to Ashland in 2 Days

"I thought the kids would like going into a cave, as they never have been in one."

After visiting SLC they still won't have been in a cave. After passing through the gift shop they will be on a walkway far above where the sea lions are.

5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Portland to Ashland in 2 Days

We plan to go into the cave, Bob. Yes, we plan to pay admission to go into the largest sea cave in America. It was one of the most memorable traveling events of my childhood. I get that you find it worthless but that is really off topic.

My main interest was how far down we should go before spending the night. I will figure it out. I’m going to choose 5 hours of driving as the limit. Would anyone say that is a good benchmark? It’s probably the best way to decide versus considering what time we will leave and want to hit the sack.

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
9,868 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Portland to Ashland in 2 Days

You seem to have made up your mind in spite of sincere recommendations to the contrary. To me, taking an elevator ride down to a dank and odiferous chamber and looking through a thick window AT a cave doesn't compare like really being in a cave such as Oregon Caves between Crescent City and Grants Pass. But given your firm intention of spending night 2 near Ashland and your driving time limit and your wanting to see the redwoods, you leave little room for our counsel.

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
9,868 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Portland to Ashland in 2 Days

To your specific question about how far you can get down the coast:

First of all, your estimate to Yachats is wrong. With summer traffic and roadworks and realistic driving times, it'll be 4 to 4 1/2 hours. So, 5 hours will get you to Florence and another hour to Reedsport.

At that point you'll have to choose whether to do the driving continuing to the redwoods will require or turn inland along the South Umpqua River Scenic Highway to I-5 and, perhaps spend night 2 enjoying the Rogue River in Grants Pass

Reply to: Portland to Ashland in 2 Days
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Oregon Coast