We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Astoria to Florence

Metro...
Level Contributor
64 posts
Astoria to Florence

Hello my husband and 2 teenage boys are headed to the Oregon coast for 4 days, 3 nights.

We fly into Portland on Saturday and fly out of Portland Tuesday. We would like to see the Oregon coast. We are interested in nature and wildlife, very short hikes, scenic drives and eating seafood. I am trying to decide where and when to stop, what to do, and where to stay overnight. The first day we arrive at 12:30 and then pick up a rental car. We could go to Astoria and stay overnight in seaside, or skip Astoria/seaside and drive to cannon beach and down 101 and stay overnight in Lincoln city. The next day we were going to drive down 101 to Yachtas and possibly go on a whale watching tour in depoe bay. The next day we would go to Oregon dunes and sandboard and dune buggy then stay in Florence. the next day we drive back to Portland for our 1:30 flight back to Minnesota. Any suggestions for things to do, sites we have to see, tours to go on, awesome activities, cities to stay in overnight (I prefer hotels on the ocean) and of course awesome places to eat for the freshest seafood, would be greatly appreciated :)

17 replies to this topic
Renton, Washington
Level Contributor
5,184 posts
1. Re: Astoria to Florence

https://goo.gl/maps/jiC4D5oFF8E2

Seaside is a good choice. Lincoln City is not.

Do stop in Newport at the Hatfield Aquarium. Newport is the largest city on the north coast. Google for lodging. Go down to the docks to see a lifetime supply of sea lions...drive right past Sea Lion Caves as you continue south. Drive up to Cape Perpetua for glorious views, weather permitting.

Florence is a great town but is not on the ocean. Drive another 72 miles to Bandon, which is the jewel of the southern coast. Google for lodging with an ocean view.

At the junction with OR-38 in Reedsport detour briefly onto OR-38 to see the elk feeding grounds on your right about five miles out of town. After Bandon, backtrack to OR-42 and take it east to the freeway and Portland.

Level Contributor
39,356 posts
1,019 reviews
2. Re: Astoria to Florence

Seaside is a good choice, what is your lodging budget? 🏖

Metro...
Level Contributor
64 posts
3. Re: Astoria to Florence

we have reservations at best western seaside and surftides at Lincoln city the first night.(I have to cancel one)overleaf lodge in yachtas

and driftwood shores in florence

Level Contributor
39,356 posts
1,019 reviews
4. Re: Astoria to Florence

The Best Western is a great place to stay, right on the beach. 🏖

United States
Level Contributor
472 posts
2 reviews
5. Re: Astoria to Florence

Did the Oregon Coast recently. Flew in/out of Portland too. We split our stay...3 nights in Cannon Beach at the Ecola Creek Lodge (Great Hidden Gem) and 4 nights at Inn at Nye Beach in Newport (Awesome). The Inn at Nye Beach was fantastic. We saw whales from not only our balcony but from inside our room within 5 minutes of checking in. It was a great place to use as a base to explore from and there was no shortage of shops/restaurants.

https://www.innatnyebeach.com/

Edited: 17 July 2018, 13:51
Metro...
Level Contributor
64 posts
6. Re: Astoria to Florence

it sounds like we should stay at seaside the first night. The next day we will then drive from seaside to Yachtas, seems like there is sooo much to see between those 2 cities, plus a possible whale watching tour.

any suggestions on how to spend our day?

Willamette Valley
Level Contributor
98 posts
7. Re: Astoria to Florence

Lisa, as I understand your plan, you are going to wake up Tuesday in Florence and drive to PDX in time to return a rental car and catch a 1:30 flight. I hope you understand the time, distance and hassles involved. With normal traffic it is about a 4 hour drive from Florence to PDX. Right now there are many highway projects on/near the roads you would use that are creating massive traffic jams--so the drive from Florence could be 5 or more hours. I would want to be at the airport not later than 11. Which would mean leaving Florence not later than 6, and earlier might be better. I hope your teenagers are more "morning people" than mine ever were! Bon voyage.

Metro...
Level Contributor
64 posts
8. Re: Astoria to Florence

Thanks for the info I really appreciate that. Would it be better if we stayed for two nights in Newport. Is it easier to get to Portland from Newport then it is from Florence?

Metro...
Level Contributor
64 posts
9. Re: Astoria to Florence

Thanks for the information. Would staying in Newport be too far away to go to sand boarding in the dunes for the day?

Metro...
Level Contributor
64 posts
10. Re: Astoria to Florence

My kids are super excited about going sand boarding and dune buggying in the Oregon dunes. I am just trying to figure out the best way to add that to our itinerary and trying to figure out where to stay

Reply to: Astoria to Florence
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Oregon Coast