We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time to Oregon/Coast

Canton, Michigan
3 posts
Save Topic
First time to Oregon/Coast

Flying into Portland and staying in Pacific City Saturday to Friday. What should we see in the time we have and making the most of each drive mapped out, ie Mt. Hood, dunes, hiking, waterfalls, kayak, Tillamook, horseback riding, ATV, tide pools, seal caves, lighthouses, etc. Thank you for any input you may have. I see much of this can be done right in Pacific City, but would also like to see more if possible.

5 replies to this topic
Centerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
14,200 posts
3,232 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time to Oregon/Coast

What should we see in the time we have...

====

Please specify "the time we have ..."

Lots of excellent help in this forum

Florence, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,384 posts
295 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time to Oregon/Coast

Pacific City is an interesting place but it is not central to many of the various interests that you are looking for.

Pacific City and Cape Meares are along a scenic alternative route to Highway 101 in that area known as "Three Capes Loop"

The segment of Highway 101 between Lincoln City and Florence is generally scenic with Yachats to Florence being a must see.

There are several very nice lighthouses to see. Cape Meares Lighthouse is at a particularly beautiful spot and not far from Pacific City. Haceta Head Lighthouse is half way between Yachats and Florence and is the second most photographed lighthouse in the world. There are other nice ones but those are my favorites and in the area that you are talking about.

There is beach horseback riding stables just North of Florence. I'm not steering you there it's just the only one that I know of.

I do not recommend Sea Lion Caves but people have been flocking to the place for decades.

The coastline between Florence and Coos Bay is the area of large sand dunes with the best access Immediately South of Florence with both dune buggy excursions and hiking only areas.

There are a lot of good tide pool areas within and South of Yachats.

Unless you want to see the Tillamook Cheese Factory or are low on gas don't stop at Tillamook.

Canton, Michigan
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: First time to Oregon/Coast

Saturday to Friday.

Canton, Michigan
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: First time to Oregon/Coast

Thank you for your input. Any suggestions for an easy but picturesque hike? A specific place that offers trails w/bridges and/or waterfalls?

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
44,428 posts
1,108 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time to Oregon/Coast

Oh my, you have mentioned a lot of locations that are hours away from Pacific City!

There is horseback riding in town, though. Contact Green Acres stables (Lincoln City); they go on the beach from Bob Straub state park.

It's getting too late tonight but I'll quickly answer post 4 -- Drift Creek Falls a few miles inland from Lincoln City:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Revie…

Reply to: First time to Oregon/Coast
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted