We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spring on the coast

West Valley City...
Level Contributor
147 posts
Save Topic
Spring on the coast

We were planning on going to the Oregon coast for the first time this spring however the vacation rental I was planning on got reserved before I could make the deposit. There are 8 of us so we need a rather large rental.

Our options is to go earlier in mid march at stay just outside of Newport At the American dream as it is called on VRBO. It seems to have a lot of great reviews and is reasonable in cost. Or we can go first week of April over Easter and stay in the yachats are and I was looking at a property called dragon's cove.

Has anyone heard of either property and if so what are your thoughts

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
8,190 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spring on the coast

Dragon's Cove wasn't one of the places I saw last year when we were checking out vacation rentals. I googled it and see that it has a very dramatic setting. Great for adults, but if you have small children maybe not so great. Rocky coast, not sandy beach (although you can always drive into Yachats and play in the bay). The website I saw also said it was undergoing construction and only the older portion was being rented. Certainly something to clarify with the owner.

American Dream has 3 king beds, bunks and sofa sleepers. OK if you have kids with you, but a potential problem if all 8 of you are adults. Also, be careful about the descriptions of "on the ocean" and "beach access." The latter term normally means you're on a bluff and there are stairs down to the beach. The owner's photos carefully avoid this and make it look like you're right on the surf...just walk out back door and put your feet in the sand. Not neccesarily so. In fact, if you look at the photos from the living room and upstairs windows, you can see that the surf may be down aways.

Keep looking at VRBO. I'm sure you can find some great places. Sleeping 10 with enough beds for 8 to be comfortable and have some privacy may be better than places that say they sleep 8 and the rental shouldn't be any more expensive (plus, this time of year, you should be able to negotiate a good deal). 2 1/2 or 3 baths would also make things nicer.

Again, a lot depends on whether you have small kids or are all adults.

West Valley City...
Level Contributor
147 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Spring on the coast

We will have 4 adults and 4 children. I figure at this time of year a sandy beach is nice but will not be the focus of our stay. I figure weather should be about the same as we are only talking two weeks apart

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
8,190 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Spring on the coast

Don't count out the beach in March. It's sometimes a lot nicer on the coast than inland. It's a day to day proposition.

Also, I checked the low tides for mid march and there are some nice afternoon low tides (no minus tides), so the tidepools along the beach in Yachats should be great for the kids.

saltwatertides.com/dynamic.dir/oregonsites.h…

And, of course, Newport has the great aquarium and the chance to see sea lions up close on the historic bayfront. This is also not far from Yachats and should be a daytrip if you don't settle in Newport itself.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,900 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Spring on the coast

Hi, although I don't know it personally, the American Dream house is located about 6-7 miles or so south of the actual town of Newport. I know that area and can just about guarantee that the house is up on a bluff - see the photo labeled "View From Living Room and Dining Room" and you can tell the ocean is well below the house level. Nearly all the houses in that area are on the bluff. I've ridden on the beach in front many times.

I know exactly where Dragon's Cove is. It's located south of the main part of Yachats, so not within walking distance if that matters. It does have a dramatic setting but is nowhere near a "beach". It's a great hulking barn of a building that has been constantly under construction for at least 10 years maybe more. You can see Hwy 101 from it - it's down below 101. It used to be owned by an elderly lady but she probably has passed on now. I do find it interesting that there is no information from or about the owner (like the other listing has).

Have you looked at other rental sites? Each town has vacation rentals that may be handled by agents. Do a search for the town name and vacation rentals ie; newport vacation rentals. That will bring up local companies. You might also include Waldport - it's located between Newport and Yachats.

April will be a touch warmer. Both times will probably be during somebody's Spring Break either Oregon or Washington.

5. Re: Spring on the coast

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 April 2013, 05:23