We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hidden Gems in Mid Coast?

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
88 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Hidden Gems in Mid Coast?

My extended family will be renting a home in Orr's Island (Harpswell) in late September/early October. We plan to do a fair amount of fall color day trips, but are also interested in exploring some of the nearby areas.

What are the best hidden gems of the area that someone might not find unless they really sought them out? My wife and I have been through the area once before, but would appreciate some tips on things that we may have missed because we didn't know about them.

Anything from beautiful views, state or local parks, unique treats, restaurants or markets -- we'd love to hear it!

Edited: 18 March 2012, 10:47
Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,648 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hidden Gems in Mid Coast?

Take the ride up the coast and down the peninsula to Boothbay Harbor and visit the Coastal Maine Botanical Gardens.... totally overlooked by many people as being "just another garden" -- which couldn't be further from the truth. The place is amazing!

Some folks also really like the Maine Coast Railway - an excursion train that runs between Brunswick and Rockland -- if you hit good foliage, it could be a great trip and a way to see parts of the mid-coast that folks never see from the road. You can Google it for more info.

And if you get a rainy day, two great places to spend it are the Admiral Peary Arctic Museum at Bowdoin College in Brunswick or the Maine State Museum in Augusta, complete with working water-powered sawmill, live display of native Maine fish, and many, many aspects of Maine history and sociology -- you can Google it for details as well.

Boston...
Level Contributor
831 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hidden Gems in Mid Coast?

As MainerOntheGo pointed, Coastal Maine botanical garden is good. Check out my photos & reviews of the place - tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g40524-d5825…

Also, if you are ok with driving to Boothbay Harbor area then you can also consider the Pemaquid point lighthouse. It is a nice place to view the sunset and the jagged Maine coast.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
88 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hidden Gems in Mid Coast?

Thanks, Mainer and Relax -- those sound like great ideas!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,109 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hidden Gems in Mid Coast?

www.maineheritagevillage.com

Maine
Level Contributor
9 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hidden Gems in Mid Coast?

not sure how far you want to travel but here are a few suggestions:

morse's saurkraut in waldoboro. it's the most amazing store/deli/restaurant. it's off the beaten path so you need to know about it. they have an incredible selection of almost everything you could want to eat.

maine coast bookstore in damariscotta. great kids section and all around nice local independent bookstore.

samoset restaurant in new harbor. i just went there for the first time last week and can't believe it's taken me this long to find it. the food is excellent. good service. it doesn't look like much from outside. get the fried pickles!

have fun!

Brunswick, Maine
Level Contributor
2,492 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hidden Gems in Mid Coast?

Have you found the Giant Stairs on Bailey Island? www.harpswell.maine.gov/index.asp…

Interested in the Fryeburg Fair? http://www.fryeburgfair.com/

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,648 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hidden Gems in Mid Coast?

Fryeburg Fair would be different from anything you'll find on the mid-Coast.... but it's also a two hour drive each way from Harpswell... only you can decide if it's worth that much "windshield time"... You can Google Fryeburg Fair 2012 for schedules, costs, etc....

8. Re: Hidden Gems in Mid Coast?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2013, 04:17
Get answers to your questions about Mid Coast Maine