We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking barefoot on the beach

Wollongong...
Level Contributor
130 posts
64 reviews
31 helpful votes
Walking barefoot on the beach

Hi TA’s,

Coming to raratonga in 16 days, very excited, just wondering if it’s safe to walk on the beach without shoes on.

Thanks

18 replies to this topic
nz
Destination Expert
for Norfolk Island, Noosaville, Rarotonga
Level Contributor
6,600 posts
304 reviews
616 helpful votes
1. Re: Walking barefoot on the beach

Hi maso023

It really is safer not to walk on the beach in bare feet. Reef shoes are always recommended for swimming in the lagoon and these can also be worn for walking on the beach.

There are often bits of coral mixed up with the sand - this can be painful if you tread on it and a coral cut can easily become infected. You'll also come across the occasional shard of glass. It's not as common as in past years and the tide acts fairly quickly to blunt any sharp edges but it's best to avoid it.

And very occasionally you may come across a bluebottle jellyfish which has been blown ashore. These are not common and only occur when it has been windy, but even though they look dead they can still sting.

And if you're thinking of paddling in the shallows during these walks I'd most definitely wear reef shoes in case of stone fish although most reports seem to be during the Spring months.

Enjoy the anticipation of your visit. I hope you have a wonderful trip. Walking on the beach is one of my favourite things to do on all my visits.

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central
Level Contributor
19,141 posts
130 reviews
82 helpful votes
2. Re: Walking barefoot on the beach

I wear jandals, crocs and reef shoes along the beaches. I find all 3 forms of footwear to be comfy and protect my feet from the sharp bits of coral and shells in the sand. If you are referring to Arorangi, as the forum heading suggests, there are sharper bits or coral and shell in this location.

Some of the beaches have finer sand, like Muri for example. I often see visitors on this beach in barefoot.

Today we are enjoying a lovely day. And there was a beautiful sunset last night. All the best for your island visit.

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
256 posts
8 reviews
3 helpful votes
3. Re: Walking barefoot on the beach

There is also the odd piece of broken glass hanging around.

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,141 posts
130 reviews
82 helpful votes
4. Re: Walking barefoot on the beach

If anyone else besides Walter sees the odd piece of broken glass hanging around, would you mind doing us all a favour and picking it up for safe removal from the beach please? If everyone does their bit to protect a very fragile environment we will all benefit.

Meitaki maata.

nz
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,600 posts
304 reviews
616 helpful votes
5. Re: Walking barefoot on the beach

Frangipani - I also mentioned broken glass in my post.

And I have been picking it up and taking it away for years. Maybe that's why I'm not seeing as much nowadays?

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,141 posts
130 reviews
82 helpful votes
6. Re: Walking barefoot on the beach

Brilliant. Meitaki maata/thankyou much for picking up the pieces of glass off the beach, NZlilibet. Wish we could encourage more tourists to do their bit.

nz
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,600 posts
304 reviews
616 helpful votes
7. Re: Walking barefoot on the beach

You're so welcome. But it would be so much better if it wasn't there in the first place!

But, as I said before, it's lucky that the tide does its bit in blunting the glass shards fairly quickly or there would be some nasty accidents.

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,141 posts
130 reviews
82 helpful votes
8. Re: Walking barefoot on the beach

Well... I can also say that on NZ beaches there are some awful instances of horrible debris left behind by locals in the main. Wouldn't it be wonderful if everyone respected our environment. Afraid this isn't so today.

We all need to continue to do our bit - residents and visitors alike. Kia manuia

eurekacalifornia
Level Contributor
23 posts
67 reviews
35 helpful votes
9. Re: Walking barefoot on the beach

During our month long visits to Aitutaki as part of his daily walk my husband carries one of those rubbish picker-uppers that can grab cans and bottles and other items from the roadside. He carries a rubbish bag with him and finds that he always has some things for the rubbish bin. I am the irritating passenger on the lagoon tour that drags back for disposal the odd plastic item or sad "floated millions of miles" toothbrush. Thanks to the Yellow Boat for always having a bag for these sad finds on Maina or One Foot. It won't stay beautiful if we all don't do our part

Wellington...
Level Contributor
21 posts
10. Re: Walking barefoot on the beach

Just came back from 7 nights and each day we went for a stroll i made it my mission if i spot glass to pick it up. Both hands chockka everytime. Such a shame.

Edited: 23 June 2018, 22:05
Reply to: Walking barefoot on the beach
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Arorangi
More Arorangi Topics