We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aroa Beach, Rarotonga

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central, New Zealand, North Island, Cook Islands
Level Contributor
28,726 posts
140 reviews
82 helpful votes
Aroa Beach, Rarotonga

Kia Orana!

I'm wondering how listings for the small Aroa area of SW Rarotonga are determined?

Oceans restaurant situated in the Crown Beach resort certainly isn't located in Aroa! Only the Rarotongan Resort is truly in Aroa, together with the Kaena restaurant. Aroa Beachside Inn has taken it's name from the word "aroa" meaning love among other terms of endearment in the Rarotongan language. Being 2 kms away from the Aroa area, it's commonly accepted (but not geographically) that the area of Aroa extends around this attractive SW beachfront area. But not the Oceans restaurant which is located a good 4+ kms way in Arorangi village itself.

Now I'm wondering how similar restaurant and hotel listings are provisioned. This could lead to all sorts of confusion for travellers seeking out accommodation and dining options in respective areas of Raro.

Ka kite. Frangipani

Edited: 13 years ago
New Zealand
Destination Expert
for Norfolk Island, Noosaville, Rarotonga
Level Contributor
7,014 posts
268 reviews
558 helpful votes
1. Re: Aroa Beach, Rarotonga

Hi Frangipani

That's an interesting point. I was the one who requested that Oceans restaurant be listed so I could review it.

I certainly didn't suggest it was in Aroa. In fact the only thing I did was to give the link to the restaurant on the Crown Beach site. And having looked at the site this morning there is no physical address that I can see.

And that's what I usually do if requesting a new listing, ie give the link to the website if there is one. If not, then I give the physical address if I know it, although the latter does not usually apply to Raro.

A bit of a mystery.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,014 posts
268 reviews
558 helpful votes
2. Re: Aroa Beach, Rarotonga

The more I think about it, the odder it is.

Had I put anything it would have been Aorangi. And I'm sure Crown Beach themselves wouldn't have put themselves in Aroa.

Maybe one of the TA staff was looking for somewhere to put the review, saw Aroa and thought it was the short version of Aorangi. Who knows?

New Zealand
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,014 posts
268 reviews
558 helpful votes
3. Re: Aroa Beach, Rarotonga

And I can't spell either. Haha. Arorangi!

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central, New Zealand, North Island, Cook Islands
Level Contributor
28,726 posts
140 reviews
82 helpful votes
4. Re: Aroa Beach, Rarotonga

After having a little think about ways to improve our forum in general - not just the restaurants, but aspects of the overall site, I've put in a request to TA support to rearrange our Cook Islands site to provide for better layout where possible. Hopefully nothing dramatic will eventuate, like it did on the Auckland forum, but I'm considering present and future needs for travellers.

With regards to Oceans, maybe TA decided that there were few restaurants in that SW area, so to improve traffic in that direction, Oceans was slipped in. BTW, NZLilibet your forthcoming trip to Raro will provide you with a good opportunity to reveiw the changes the former owner of Salsa, now Head Chef at Crown Beach has instigated! And you'll be able to find out for us what the new restaurant in the former Portofino is like!

Enjoy. (I can't spell either - hence the edit button for "review"!)

New Zealand
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,014 posts
268 reviews
558 helpful votes
5. Re: Aroa Beach, Rarotonga

Oh, new restaurant in the Portofino. What kind?

And yes, I'll look forward to seeing changes at Crown Beach.

Have seen your recent reviews. Did you make it to Vaima to see changes?

Looking forward also to trying Kikau Hut under new owners and to seeing the remaining cat!

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
28,726 posts
140 reviews
82 helpful votes
6. Re: Aroa Beach, Rarotonga

Oh, our visit to the Vaima? The first time I booked I received a phone call later on advising that it wouldn't be open on the 4th August (public holiday Constitution celebration). So a friend and I dined at Little Polynesian cafe instead. Wonderful choice as it turned out.

Second time I booked for Vaima, all went according to plan until I reached O'oa on the main road. My little car had a tantrum, but we crawled through Muri and reached Pawpaw Patch. Whilst allowing the engine to cool off we chilled over a sav. blanc. Being doubtful of walking back to Avarua in the dark, decision was made to phone and cancel our dinner appointment. Again most unfortunate. However, we both enjoyed a lovely meal, and being entertained by Kura after dinner. So we never got to Vaima afterall. But as I'm hearing good reports, I'm hoping you'll be able to check it out when you get there.

Ka kite ano.

Rarotonga
Level Contributor
17 posts
13 reviews
20 helpful votes
7. Re: Aroa Beach, Rarotonga

kia orana!

thank you for your posting.

i am just experience the same kind of problem. Our business The Dive Centre is located in Aroa!

When we signed up with TA there was no other option to select as Avarua. We weren't able to set our buisiness in the right location.

Result is that we are listed as location: Avarua

I tried to change my location to aroa but even the helpcentre didn't let me do the changes.

I tried to get in touch with TA but normally the forum is the better way to get things done, rather then contact TA :-)

the only thing i would be worried about: at the moment we are nr 1 of attractions in avarua, if we are moved to aroa would this change? or is this not related to the physical adress?

meitaki ma`ata e kia manuia

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
28,726 posts
140 reviews
82 helpful votes
8. Re: Aroa Beach, Rarotonga

Kia Orana The Dive Centre,

Attractions for the Aroa geographical locaility should be grouped together. Likewise for the Muri beach attractions and so forth. Because the district of Arorangi is such a large geographical area, it would be fair to have those attractions and things to do for the Aroa locale to be showing separately to Arorangi in this lovely area of Raro. But similarly though for Black Rock which I consider retains its own special character away from bigger Arorangi village itself. As a child growing up, my forefathers used streams to define geographical boundaries in Raro. I'm an advocate for retaining some of the old ways of the islands, including this particular tradition.

With regards to Avarua, only those attractions domiciled in Avarua should be listed there. In respect of rankings, I think that TripAdvisor could be reviewing the entire procedure for listing attractions in any case. How 'attractions" are defined needs to be looked at in respect of appropriateness and credibility to do the the various sites justice. I'm fairly confident that TA will take predominant concerns on board. There appears to be strong influence for changes to be made and warrantged under the circumstances as the TA site grows bigger by the day.

Hope this helps with your listing dilemna. With regards to ratings Im sure your popularity will not be diminished by the resultant changes. Rather I can see the merit for your particular business to enjoy the Aroa status instead. "Aroa" is such a beautiful name can I add - unique!

Ka kite ra.

Frangipani.

I'll keep this thread advised of progress.

Wellington, New...
3 posts
1 review
9. Re: Aroa Beach, Rarotonga

Kia ora,

Yes it is confusing! We are going to be staying in Aroa and I have been trying to figure out exactly what is in the area. We are looking for somewhere to eat with kids when we fly in on the Friday night. Any good fish and chips!? I know the Rarotongan is in the area so have checked out those restaurants. Also I am gluten free.... what are your favorite places in walking distance from the beach? We are staying at one of the Vaikoi houses.

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
28,726 posts
140 reviews
82 helpful votes
10. Re: Aroa Beach, Rarotonga

Hi jaccabe,

Besides the Rarotongan Resort, and the Kaena restaurant (at the end of the road), there's a small takeway cafe in the small shopping block where the ATM is located in Kavera (turn right on main road - close walking distance to Vaikoi). Also in Kavera, there is the Coco Putt course which also has a licenced cafe - all day meals served, and open til late.

Fish n Chips - do try the Flying Boat located at the Game Fishing Club in Tupapa if you get the chance. Awesome!!!

Get answers to your questions about Aroa Beach
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of in . If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.