We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay? Rarotonga Beach resort beachside or Muri Beac

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
4 helpful votes
Where to stay? Rarotonga Beach resort beachside or Muri Beac

Angst here. First time visitors to Raro- going in July and receiving all sorts of conflicting advice. Finalists are Rarotongan or Muri Beachcomber (v little price differential). We are couple with 14 year old boy who loves swimming, snorkelling etc and quite independant but not content to blob on the beach. I'm not keen on cooking much as it is is my holiday too but not against motel type as long as restaurants nearby. Rarotongan Resort seems to have the best snorkelling, Muri has the best beach but snorkelling not so good

Anyone got any helpful tips??

3 replies to this topic
New Zealand
Destination Expert
for Norfolk Island, Noosaville, Rarotonga
Level Contributor
7,014 posts
268 reviews
558 helpful votes
1. Re: Where to stay? Rarotonga Beach resort beachside or Muri Beac

Hi Jeeze57

I have stayed at both places, albeit many years apart. Very different but both with advantages and disadvantages.

The Rarotongan is large and long established. The beach is lovely there - much better than Muri for snorkelling and swimming. It also isn't suffering from the over-development which has caused problems in Muri lagoon.

No self catering, but restaurants on site, plus the Kaena restaurant within a very short walk. I think your son is likely to find more company here, but could be wrong.

Muri Beachcomber is a small compact resort and I think still doesn't allow children under 12 in its beachfront units. They are compact, duplex units with well appointed kitchens. Of course there are lots of restaurants within walking distance in Muri.

Both have pools, but the Beachcomber one is very small from memory. But who wants a pool with the lagoon on your doorstep?

Difficult decision for you. But if you have any other questions, please ask and I'll do my best to help or check my memory on the specifics of both places.

Whichever one you choose, you can always hire a car or use the excellent bus service to get to other places.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
4 helpful votes
2. Re: Where to stay? Rarotonga Beach resort beachside or Muri Beac

Thanks so much for your comments.Tending towards The Rarotongan, probably for our 14 year old. This is the worst part of travelling- sorting out where to go to keep everyone happy :)

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central, New Zealand, North Island, Cook Islands
Level Contributor
28,726 posts
140 reviews
82 helpful votes
3. Re: Where to stay? Rarotonga Beach resort beachside or Muri Beac

Kia Orana Jeeze57, welcome to our forum.

I would recommend the Rarotongan Resort over the Beachcomber in your situation.

if your son enjoys swimming, snorkelling and is reasonably independent there are lots of activities on or around the Rarotongan Resort, as well as having an opportunity to make friendswith othrs his own age. Also for the parents, having the convenience of onsite dining (indoors and outside), the small gift shops, daily activities, a lovely beachfront with plenty of space and furniture, I think the resort choice is well-worthwhile.

Having the pool located near the beachfront is a bonus for guests. i see children spending a lot of time happily playing in the pool , while parents can relax in the adjacent loungers or dining alongside (snack bar as well as the restaurant). On days when the wind is onshore, the pool certainly becomes a popular magnet with its sheltered setting and waterfall.

The Aroa marine reserve is another very good reason to stay at the Rarotongan with its wonderful array of fishlife. And its gorgeous dining on the beachfront verandah while watching the colourful fish swim by.

Happy planning!

Edited: 12 years ago
Reply to: Where to stay? Rarotonga Beach resort beachside or Muri Beac
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Aroa Beach
More Aroa Beach Topics
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of in . If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.